SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Remington .38 Special-Updated Again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington .38 Special-Updated Again Login/Join 
posted
I realize this post is short on details but I will update when I am less emotional.

I just got back from a range trip. I was shooting a new Kimber DCR revolver. I cracked open a case of Remington .38's to play with, along with several boxes of assorted 38 and 357 ammo. First up, the Remington 38 130 gr mc. I fired six rounds, and on the second the cylinder rotation was a little sticky, but rotated the next round into battery. #5 went off and the thing locked up. I stopped shooting and waited for a possible cookoff, the checked the weapon. The front of the cylinder had a bullet barely sticking out of the cylinder. I pushed it back into the cylinder with my finger. I then used a simple pencil to gently push the round at teh forcing cone back into the cylinder. Apparently these squibs were loaded so lightly that they didn't even make it fully into the forcing cone. An inspection of the projectiles show NO markings of any kind. I made sure it was empty and went to the range smith, who inspected the revolver and said he saw no damage at all. I then resumed shooting Federal and Winchester loads.

Now I have to contact Remington. Fortunately, I still have the remainder of the case and box with all labels attached.

I should have noticed the squib from the sound, I guess, but the range was pretty fully with a lot of heavy calibers being fired on both sides in an indoor range.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fredward,

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience shooting UMC 158 LRNs. Locked up my 442 when a bullet jumped the crimp and jammed between the cylinder and frame. Shitty, shitty stuff but it was all I could get my hands on at the LGS the day I picked the 442 up.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I've never been impressed by their ammo. I have some .25 now but I didn't buy it.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should have noticed the squib from the sound, I guess, but the range was pretty fully with a lot of heavy calibers being fired on both sides in an indoor range.

Glad you were not hurt and gun is OK. I was looking forward to seeing how you liked the Kimber. Keep us posted.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had nothing but good experiences with Remington UMC ammo. I use the Walmart 100 round box of 38 special 125 JHP +P in my 642 and like it a lot. None of the described events have ever happened to me. I also like their 9mm 115 grain JHP. It is an accurate round in all of my 9mms. It does not use flashless powder, though.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always had good luck with UMC as well.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the +P125gr jhp was my go-to carry round for many years. We'll see how the company responds. No answer yet.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
their .22 is the dirtiest ammo I have ever fired. The Golden Sabre 9mm was our backup when we couldn't get Ranger LE or Federal HST. It seemed pretty good.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have had decent results with the UMC 38 spl 130gr. MC loading. No crimp jump and ok accuracy. However, a squib aint good at all, I hope Remington makes it right tor you.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a response from Remington Customer Service today. They are sending a shipping label for the remaining ammo, 448 rounds. They say they will evaluate and get back to me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I got a response from Remington Customer Service today. They are sending a shipping label for the remaining ammo, 448 rounds. They say they will evaluate and get back to me.

Good to hear. Not enough people follow through on this kind of stuff. Keep us posted.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Remington ought to do right by you.

On a whim, I bought a 300 RUM barrel for a rifle. I had to change the bolt head, also. When I tried shooting, nothing happened. Tried a couple more and same result. Again I checked head space and firing pin protrusion. One random cartridge worked (scared the crap out of me as I wasn't anticipating it working).

I called Remington and they sent a return label. About two weeks later, I got a letter and new box of cartridges. Seems the primers had been set too deep. I had power level II Core-Lokt and they sent me back power level III Swift A-Frame. Based upon that, they ought to replace it box-for-box but send premium ammo for your inconvenience.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a letter apologizing today, a return shipping label, and Remington asked whether I wanted my money back or replacement ammo. I'm asking for replacement because I really don't know what I paid for it.

posted Hide Post
Pleased to hear that. Solving a problem correctly is always good business.

posted Hide Post
I got a call from Remington today. She said the ammunition I had sent was 17 years old. She said that sometimes, after a prolonged period, the brass can "lose it's annealing" after prolonged periods, resulting in squibs from lack of neck tension. It should be noted I haven't had this particular case for more than two years. At any rate, they are sending me a fresh case. I guess I need to start moving thru my older stock of ammunition and replacing it. It's odd, my ammo is stored properly in a climate controlled area. I thought it would be good for decades. We have no control, however, of how it is treated before it gets to us. I also find it odd about the "losing annealing" part. Does brass break down over time?

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I was not aware that brass could "lose" annealing. Learn something every day here on Sigforum.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect the response myself. My theory is it was never crimped properly. Replacement rounds coming, though, I can't complain.

Saluki
posted Hide Post
As pertains to annealing. As I understand it this is also a problem with the .17HMR/ HM2 ammo. It just does not survive long term storage. The necks start splitting. I attributed it to being made absolutely as cheap as possible with primary use as plinking ammo, and little concern to longevity.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the update. It was informative and welcome.

Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fredward:
I realize this post is short on details but I will update when I am less emotional.

I just got back from a range trip. I was shooting a new Kimber DCR revolver. I cracked open a case of Remington .38's to play with, along with several boxes of assorted 38 and 357 ammo. First up, the Remington 38 130 gr mc. I fired six rounds, and on the second the cylinder rotation was a little sticky, but rotated the next round into battery. #5 went off and the thing locked up. I stopped shooting and waited for a possible cookoff, the checked the weapon. The front of the cylinder had a bullet barely sticking out of the cylinder. I pushed it back into the cylinder with my finger. I then used a simple pencil to gently push the round at teh forcing cone back into the cylinder. Apparently these squibs were loaded so lightly that they didn't even make it fully into the forcing cone. An inspection of the projectiles show NO markings of any kind. I made sure it was empty and went to the range smith, who inspected the revolver and said he saw no damage at all. I then resumed shooting Federal and Winchester loads.

Now I have to contact Remington. Fortunately, I still have the remainder of the case and box with all labels attached.

I should have noticed the squib from the sound, I guess, but the range was pretty fully with a lot of heavy calibers being fired on both sides in an indoor range.[/QUOTE } Your mind does not always register with the sound of a shot being fired but you should feel the lack of recoil in a revolver that small. It used to be that you did not find squib loads or loose bullets in factory ammo but that is not the case any more and you need to train your mind to recognize the lack of recoil.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post