SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Remove your apostrophe key.
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Remove your apostrophe key. Login/Join 
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And throw it away.

You don’t know how to use it, and your guesses are wrong more often than right.

(Today’s lighter note about something other than politics because it snowed here last night. Smile )

If you had followed your own advice, you would not have been able to use the apostrophe key in your original post. Big Grin

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA

Posts: 625 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Do as I say, not as I do. Wink

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36658 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The Chicago Manual Of Style agrees.

I think the basic rule is that apostrophes are for possessives. They are not for plurals.

From the CMOS online questions and answers regarding plurals:

Q. When I was working on my graduate degree in English, I was told by a professor that the rule had changed for plurals of numbers (written as numbers) and letters (3s rather than 3’s or As rather than A’s). For the past 15 years I have been teaching it that way. Another colleague just recently saw that rule change somewhere online. Our new textbooks, however, do not teach it that way. We are currently working on a new handbook and would like to know if the rule has been changed or not. Thanks.

A. Chicago style omits the apostrophe, but the thing about style is, there is no single great arbiter who makes rules that everyone follows. Different houses use different styles. Following a particular style allows a person to be consistent within a given document, but it really doesn’t matter which style you choose.

Posts: 6552 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks, henryaz; it’s good to know I wasn’t imagining things. Live long enough and pay enough attention to what goes on around us, and we end up remembering some odd stuff. Smile

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36658 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I should turn off auto-correct as I rarely proof read my posts.

Posts: 2313 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I intentionally misspell certain words and adjectives on purpose because the phonetics are amusing, or perhaps I'm mocking a person or group of people.

Tew chicks at the same time.

BUT, if there is no reason or rationale behind the flaws in grammar or spelling, well, you're just fucking dumb, or you don't give a shit.

I know many in both camps.

Oh, then again, there are people who can't see for shit, and never learned how to type without peaking at the keys.

I know one guy who is brilliant, but his emails are trainwrecks of spelling. Genius, but he can't see for shit.

Posts: 3965 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Report This Post
Picture of am94pm
posted Hide Post
Wha't d'o me'an I dont know how'to us'it?

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
I saw " oughta' " the other day.

Technically that should be "ought'a", but I'm told you can get away with "oughtta".

Now, if anyone can explain why an apostrophe in front of the letter "s" in every case except "it's", please do. I've heard its an accident of timing - something that came into use before the possessive sense became common, but I'm still convinced its connected to the use of the word "his" in archaic grammar.

Posts: 19992 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remove your apostrophe key.

Nope, not gonna happen. apostophe's are like mustache's, they give an interes'ting quality to what other wise be a boring pane. They are like MSG, one just throws them in to see what happens'.

1,2,3,4...Turn it up!

Posts: 4979 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a quiet day in Richmond, VA so I thought I would download two Police study guides for a three police tests that are coming up.

Well the first part of both books are all questions regarding apostrophes and semi-colons. I must admit I am doing rather poorly.

I have no idea why I am so nervous or worried.

I have failed two pre-employment Police tests in twenty years. One was for the Border Patrol and the other was a small Police Dept in VA and that test was all math.

For some reason as I sat there struggling it made me think of this discussion thread.

Posts: 535 | Location: Back in Richmond,VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

The style guide that I use in legal writing (the Texas Law Review Manual On Style) has the opposite rule - do not use apostrophes for plural numbers or abbreviations - simply add an s. So it would be:

1990s
NCOs

The Chicago Manual Of Style agrees.

I think the basic rule is that apostrophes are for possessives. They are not for plurals.

Hmm this maybe the problem, states are creating different rules of style. As such the rules of style differ by state, and as such the ability to use punctuation has been compromised.

Having 50 different rules of style makes it difficult to have consistent use of apostrophe's and other punctuation marks.

We need national grammar law that will provide a consistent fair method for the use of punctuation marks across the country.

This allows one the ability to post, write and speak with the same rules anywhere without fear of rebuke from Nazi Grammarian's.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Posts: 10545 | Location: Mouseville, FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It's actually not a matter of different states but of different manuals - and each manual is, by definition, striving to be the manual that everyone adopts. If everyone adopts it, then it becomes what is "correct".

Of course, by the time such a glacially slow process actually wraps up everything will have changed and we'll need a new set of rules to replace the "archaic" manual that everyone adopted. Then everyone will write their own manual, all the manuals will vie to be adopted as the "correct" manual, and the whole silly process repeats itself.

Ain't academia fun?

Posts: 19992 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
image hosting over 2mb

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 540 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: September 02, 2006Report This Post