SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Remove your apostrophe key.
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Remove your apostrophe key. Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

St. Elizabeths Hospital in D.C. kicked off this campaign back in 1916, when Congress named it St. Elizabeths.

Posts: 7034 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
Picture of bendable
posted Hide Post
sometimes a guy just likes to use a different key, now and then

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 44763 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Picture of trails2004
posted Hide Post
1906 President Teddy Roosevelt inadvertent left off the apostrophe when naming Devils Tower as the nations first monument.

The native Americans want the name changed, the local economies do not.

http://www.santafenewmexican.c...c2-760f0eb032ac.html

P220ST .45 Cal
P226 .40 S&W Nitron
P320C 9mm FDE
P938 9mm Nightmare

Posts: 337 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 29, 2006Report This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trails2004:
1906 President Teddy Roosevelt inadvertent left off the apostrophe when naming Devils Tower as the nations first monument.

The native Americans want the name changed, the local economies do not.

http://www.santafenewmexican.c...c2-760f0eb032ac.html

St. Elizabeths was not inadvertent. The name dates to Colonial times and was given to the tract of land which eventually became the hospital. Apparently, rules of grammar back then considered the apostrophe optional for possessive use, and the land owner named his tract St. Elizabeths. The hospital was chartered in the 1850's as the "Government Hospital for the Insane", though it was still informally and widely referred to as St. Elizabeths. Congress made this official in 1916 with a name change, and stuck with the original spelling. I picked up this bit of history when I worked there for 3 years in the early 1970's.

Posts: 7034 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Two more places where the apostrophe doesn't belong: Smith & Wesson Chiefs Special (Model 36) and Veterans Day. These are in honor of police chiefs and veterans respectively, not belonging to them.

"My wife is dragging me to this stupid play. Somebody please kill me."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 19189 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I saw " oughta' " the other day.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

Posts: 2180 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Two more places where the apostrophe doesn't belong: Smith & Wesson Chiefs Special (Model 36) and Veterans Day. These are in honor of police chiefs and veterans respectively, not belonging to them.
After respectively, is that a lower case apostrophe ?

Posts: 13688 | Registered: December 23, 2008Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
If I were a poet, I would write

"Apostrophe to the Apostrophe"

Big Grin

Posts: 12868 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Ding, ding, ding!

Posts: 37110 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of 44Magpie
posted Hide Post
I'm really not a grammar nazi but for the love of GOD when did anyone get taught in school that you make words plural by using an apostrophe? Just plain ignorant.

Posts: 266 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: January 19, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 44Magpie:
I'm really not a grammar nazi but for the love of GOD when did anyone get taught in school that you make words plural by using an apostrophe? Just plain ignorant.

What he said!

Please.

Pretty please!

Thank you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I agree. Folk's simply dont know well grammar and punctuation anymore.

Glad your enjoying you're snow. Im hoping they're will be lot's of snow around here this year.

Well done. All of it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5670 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Report This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have basically learned to ignore it,
since my grammer is not all that great anyway,

I also will use a comma vs a period, but that is just lazy typing,

the one that makes me shake my head is the over abundance of the ! key,

some! folks! just! love! it!

but I get over it,,,

www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Posts: 5926 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Apostrophe?
You mean the Air Comma?
Smile

Posts: 4842 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Report This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
St. Elizabeths was not inadvertent. The name dates to Colonial times and was given to the tract of land which eventually became the hospital. Apparently, rules of grammar back then considered the apostrophe optional for possessive use, and the land owner named his tract St. Elizabeths. The hospital was chartered in the 1850's as the "Government Hospital for the Insane", though it was still informally and widely referred to as St. Elizabeths. Congress made this official in 1916 with a name change, and stuck with the original spelling. I picked up this bit of history when I worked there for 3 years in the early 1970's.

Ahem.

Posts: 3205 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
1850's ... 1970's.

Ahem.

I recall actually seeing many, many years ago a rule that apostrophes be used as above to indicate the plural of abbreviations and numbers, e.g., “The NCO’s met to discuss problems with the M1’s.” Much later I tried to confirm that as the accepted usage, but if it was ever a rule it seems to have died in later times.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 37110 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Ahem.

I had to do something with the apostrophes that St. Elizabeths did not use in that post. I even had one left over. Smile

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I agree with you. But found this funny.
Looks like Henry Rollins' dad.

Ha!

---------------------------------
- "This town reminds me of something in the bible."
- "Which part?"
- "The part right before god gets angry"

Posts: 7150 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
quote:
1850's ... 1970's.

Ahem.

I recall actually seeing many, many years ago a rule that apostrophes be used as above to indicate the plural of abbreviations and numbers, e.g., “The NCO’s met to discuss problems with the M1’s.” Much later I tried to confirm that as the accepted usage, but if it was ever a rule it seems to have died in later times.

The style guide that I use in legal writing (the Texas Law Review Manual On Style) has the opposite rule - do not use apostrophes for plural numbers or abbreviations - simply add an s. So it would be:

1990s
NCOs

The Chicago Manual Of Style agrees.

I think the basic rule is that apostrophes are for possessives. They are not for plurals.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 44187 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
So it would be:

1990s
NCOs

The Chicago Manual Of Style agrees.

That’s what I follow, but as I said I do recall seeing the other a long time ago.
Grammar rules change like anything else, or I may be remembering something that was wrong even at the time.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy