SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Remove your apostrophe key.
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Remove your apostrophe key. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
And throw it away.

You don’t know how to use it, and your guesses are wrong more often than right.

(Today’s lighter note about something other than politics because it snowed here last night. Smile )

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36915 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
Preach on.

Congratulations on the snow. I'd rather have two feet of snow then a half inch of ice.

Wink

Posts: 176 | Location: In a van, down by the river. | Registered: October 11, 2004Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I agree. Folk's simply dont know well grammar and punctuation anymore.

Glad your enjoying you're snow. Im hoping they're will be lot's of snow around here this year.

Posts: 18545 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I created this web page in 1996. It's called " The Inappropriate Apostrophe."

Don't believe everything you think.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 512 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: December 04, 2015Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Just for kicks, I try to see how the 's makes a word possessive. A couple of times, it actually works out. But otherwise, yeah, it's annoying as hell.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 14569 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be sure to loose my apostrophe key....

What's the mystery about this? Just say it out loud and maybe it'll help. The hinge is loose, I might lose the screw. This is literally a national epidemic.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 671 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Report This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Such foolishness doesn't bother me if I whistle a happy tune somewhere else. Big Grin

Posts: 3569 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Report This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike the Texan:
Preach on.

Congratulations on the snow. I'd rather have two feet of snow then a half inch of ice.

Wink

Sneaky.

Posts: 2405 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
iOS autocorrect is my biggest culprit for inappropriate apostrophes. I'll type it right and the iOS demons will mess it up.

Autocorrect is my worst enema.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 14228 | Location: N. Houston, TX | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My propo'sal i's to put apo'strophe's before every 's.

It i's the only rule 'simple enough for the imbecile's out there who were too dim to learn to u'se apo'strophe's properly in the fifth grade, like the re'st of u's.

It doe's look odd from time to time. "Mi's'si's'si'ppi," for example. But you'll get u'sed to it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 43808 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
iOS autocorrect is my biggest culprit for inappropriate apostrophes. I'll type it right and the iOS demons will mess it up.

Can someone tell me why people use iPOS? What good is this if it substitutes wrong shit?

Posts: 18923 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
all of today's todays are those todays' example.

Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul.

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

Some people listen to the noise of the world,
And some people listen to the quiet.

Posts: 8110 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
You can turn the autocorrect off, but it will quickly reveal how bad a mobile phone typist you really are

Posts: 532 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Report This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I agree with you. But found this funny.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 15904 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Can someone tell me why people use iPOS? What good is this if it substitutes wrong shit?

Turn Auto Correct OFF.
Check Spelling, and Predictive ON.

Posts: 2405 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Report This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I agree with you. But found this funny.
Looks like Henry Rollins' dad.

Posts: 39916 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 18545 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
The internet has given us a glimpse of what it is like to be a teacher. We are now exposed to a lot of unedited writing on forums like this one.

Posts: 2647 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

My War!

Posts: 365 | Registered: February 24, 2006Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 18923 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post