SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Third time an eye doc has sent me off with a wrong prescription
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Third time an eye doc has sent me off with a wrong prescription Login/Join 
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted
I wear one contact lens. I wear it all the time, it’s extended wear. I also need readers.

I explain that I DON’T want to remove my contact to read. Living in AZ I carry my sunglasses with me everywhere. I want to be able use them with the contact in.

Two years ago they tested me. Took the contact RX to Costco and ordered glasses from the doc’s shop. Glasses came in and I couldn’t see out of them. I was told to give them a week for my eyes to get used to them. Got home, pulled the contact out and I could see through the glasses. Went back and complained, so they had me sit in the chair and 15 minutes later we had a new prescription and they ate the cost of remaking the glasses.

Last year, I see the a different doc in the same shop, remind him of the prior issue and the guy says no problem. My eyes are tested and I again walk out with a new prescription. I go to a boutique optical shop with the prescription and the lady said I need to go back, as I showed her my contact prescription and the glasses prescription. She said the glasses would not work with my contact. Back I went to the doctor. This time I see the first doc. He verifies it was incorrect. He gives me a quick test and hands me a new prescription and notes he is writing a note in my record that the glasses need to be written with the contact in.

That gets us to last week, see the first doctor again. Take the prescription to lens crafters. My new glasses were picked up yesterday and I couldn’t see through them. I got home and removed my contact and they worked great. Arghhhh!

I will call tomorrow for a same day appointment. I will be shopping for a new doc for next year.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
That sucks. Just tells you no one is paying attention because it sounds like you’re articulating yourself well.
I’d be looking for a new doc as well, and get your specs from same place, if possible. Less confusion, imho. And if I may add, go private and go local. They have a dog in that fight, so they’ll care a lot about you getting what you want.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would stop seeing the Doc in the Box. Fitting eyeglasses is not that hard.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

I’d be looking for a new doc as well, and get your specs from same place
OP took the first Rx to Costco. Costco Optical is known for the accuracy of filling prescriptions, and for their cost-effectiveness.

Of course, most Costco locations that have optical service also have on-site optometrists. This might be the way to go.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
The doctors aren’t at a chain eyeglass store, they are just the two there.
The glasses two years ago was filled at their in office shop. The second set was filled at a similar shop where my wife sees her eye doc. This new set was filled at Len crafters because my wife’s shop didn’t accept my insurance.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If you wear the single contact all the time, why would you need a prescription for sunglasses?

Unless you want to read with the sunglasses, then a prescription to properly account for the one contact would be the goal.

I am confused.

(I wear the near/far type contacts, so I am looking at it form that POV, no pun intended)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

If you wear the single contact all the time, why would you need a prescription for sunglasses?

Unless you want to read with the sunglasses, then a prescription to properly account for the one contact would be the goal.

I am confused.

(I wear the near/far type contacts, so I am looking at it form that POV, no pun intended)
I will take a guess: I use bifocal prescription sunglasses.

When flying, of course I need good distant vision in the main area of the lenses, and I also need reading distance, as I to be able to see detail on navigation charts, checklists, etc.

So if OP uses multifocal correction, prescription sunglasses make sense.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would help to know what the contact lens is designed to do. With the contact in do both eyes see clearly at distance? Or is the eye with the contact to enable monovision (contact lens for near)? With something out of the ordinary like this I will write two Rxs, one for contact in and contact out, as well as the CL Rx, and label them as such. Helps prevent confusion.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

I’d be looking for a new doc as well, and get your specs from same place
OP took the first Rx to Costco. Costco Optical is known for the accuracy of filling prescriptions, and for their cost-effectiveness.

Of course, most Costco locations that have optical service also have on-site optometrists. This might be the way to go.

Not in our area, they aren’t. A local shop (not a chain) is usually the best bet in the Midwest. Staff understand that it is a direct reflection on them vs just punching a clock and filling without really listening to the patient request. Ymmv. I feel the OP’s frustration, as I’ve corrected many errors from corporate “punch a clock” providers. Not to say there aren’t good ones, but the Costco in the area doesn’t give a shit, from my experience.
And I’ve interviewed enough of their staff in the area to know they really don’t give a shit.
Ownership of the job and listening to the pt gives the desired results.

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:A local shop (not a chain) is usually the best bet in the Midwest. Staff understand that it is a direct reflection on them vs just punching a clock and filling without really listening to the patient request.

I agree 100%. The combination of an experienced OD communicating with his own opticians who do the ordering is worth it to me. Our own Harleysbluff has the system down perfectly. I've never had an error on my glasses.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Thats interesting, you should let Costco corporate know, the ones here go way beyond the local eye glass stores in service, selection and price.

My wife gets her contacts, daughter glasses and myself as well, none of us have had any of those issues, in fact the eyeglass staff has been more than helpful, and I've run into a couple of them at a local cigar store, they remembered me before I recognized them...

The doc here is good, all of our scrips have been right on, and you have the option to take the script elsewhere.

With the specific way you want lens and glasses to work together I'd be sure to ask them anytime you pick up a script, ask the second doc to show you how to read it to know what's right they aren't difficult to understand...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
I wear the one contact for long range vision correction.
The sun glasses are Non corrected...
The glasses are in replacement of my cheap drug store readers.

posted Hide Post
My father was an optician, who owned and operated his own company. Was in business over 30 years.

When filling an eyeglass prescription, if the customer could not see out of them well, they would come back to the optician, not their optometrist/ophthalmologist.

My father would verify the lens strength (which he did anyway before initial delivery), re-verify pupil distance, and verify the glasses were adjusted properly. If all these checked out (And they always did, since he did all the work himself), he would send them back to the eye doctor.

Consequently, he always knew which doctors provided the right prescription the first time, and which ones did not. It was a clear pattern. Consequently, he sent his family (including me) to an ophthalmologist who my father claimed he never had to re-do a prescription.

So my advice: Find a real optician, not one from a chain store. Ask them who they have the best luck with as far as accuracy of prescriptions the first time.

When eye doctors had to re-issue a new prescription because the first one wasn't correct, my father would re-make the lenses at his own cost, so he was quick to recommend those who were accurate the first time.

Posts: 941 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
No return phone call from the doctor yesterday....
This morning called again and I got an appointment for this afternoon.

The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I've had so many screw ups with those places it became a joke. One time they put the right eye rx in my left lens and the left one in my right. Another time they ground the lens backwards.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father was an optician, who owned and operated his own company. Was in business over 30 years.

When filling an eyeglass prescription, if the customer could not see out of them well, they would come back to the optician, not their optometrist/ophthalmologist.

My father would verify the lens strength (which he did anyway before initial delivery), re-verify pupil distance, and verify the glasses were adjusted properly. If all these checked out (And they always did, since he did all the work himself), he would send them back to the eye doctor.

Consequently, he always knew which doctors provided the right prescription the first time, and which ones did not. It was a clear pattern. Consequently, he sent his family (including me) to an ophthalmologist who my father claimed he never had to re-do a prescription.

So my advice: Find a real optician, not one from a chain store. Ask them who they have the best luck with as far as accuracy of prescriptions the first time.

When eye doctors had to re-issue a new prescription because the first one wasn't correct, my father would re-make the lenses at his own cost, so he was quick to recommend those who were accurate the first time.

^^^^^^^^^^
This is good advice. You pay a price when you go to the Big Box outlet or chain stores. It is a simple as that. Skilled professionals not corporate drones.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Back from the doc’s office and Lens Crafters.
The optician at the office checked the new glasses and discovered one lens had one of the numbers changed from a plus to a minus.

The Lens Crafters person checked the glasses and noted it was not made right.

I expect them back in about 7 days.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunthelp:
Back from the doc’s office and Lens Crafters.
The optician at the office checked the new glasses and discovered one lens had one of the numbers changed from a plus to a minus.

The Lens Crafters person checked the glasses and noted it was not made right.

I expect them back in about 7 days.

It’s all about attention to detail. So glad you got this figured out. Now, hopefully the new specs will work with your contact rx.

"Trust, but verify."