SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Oh, those phony LED light bulb claims...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh, those phony LED light bulb claims... Login/Join 
posted
Maybe these bloody things work their magic in newer homes. I just know that they as a whole don't last in MY home, which is anything but new. So far we've been able to only get around 60% to last beyond a year, when the proclamations made by their makers seem to say that these thing should go well beyond 5 years with average daily use. The oldest LED bulbs in the house right now are at around 2 1/2 years, but those are also ones that are on fixtures that don't get regular use. The past couple of days another TWO LED bulbs bit the big one. Both were are from the same 3-pack bought at Costco about a year ago. One was on a task lamp that's on 24/7, which puts its life span at around 8700 hours, far less than the 40,000 or 50,000 claimed hours that these stupid things are supposed to last.

I saw that this topic was covered nearly a year ago, back when I was not around because of my old, bricked account. I think it's time to rip on these bogus LED bulb claims again. Especially since I wasn't around last year.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...590009064#2590009064

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
That 40-50K hour lifespan is for the actual Light Emitting Diode part of the bulb. It will last that long under ideal conditions compared to the filament in an incandescent bulb. What's misleading is LED bulbs usually fail through their circuitry. The current and wiring powering in your house powering your bulbs also make a difference.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm the guy who started the topic a year ago and things really haven't improved much since then. I've had great luck with Kobi BR30 LED bulbs that go in those recessed ceiling fixtures - they seem to last forever, but not so good luck with the 100W LED bulbs that are supposed to mimic normal incandescents. Some of the latter have even been DOA, but it costs more to return them than they're worth! I stocked up on Utilitek 100W LED bulbs when Menards had a discontinued sale on them, so I just pop in another when one fails. It's either that or go back to incandescents.

Pretty sure the problem is heat, as the larger BR30 bulbs can get rid of it better than the smaller A-style 100W LED bulbs. Like iron says, it's the circuitry that poops out, not the actual LED.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've not had one last more than a couple of years, but mine have lasted a lot longer in general after I removed the glass "globe" or cover from the fixture. The fixture covers retain heat, and that is apparently is a big enemy of the LEDs.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Most are made in China, if that helps you understand the discrepancy. They are known to tell less than the truth.

Posts: 9507 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
CREE Lighting offers a 10 Year 100% Satisfaction Guarantee on their LED Bulbs!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8883 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
CREE Lighting offers a 10 Year 100% Satisfaction Guarantee on their LED Bulbs!

I found they wanted a receipt to go along with that. I tried really hard to like Cree bulbs as at least some of them were assembled in the USA when I bought them. Too many of them start to flicker after a year or two so I replaced them.

HD swapped me straight across the first time. The second time the flickering bulbs went in the bin and the non-flickering bulbs went in the hall closet as spares.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I bought some last year, all of them have lasted for almost 12 years now, and some have been on 24hrs a day.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I bought some last year, all of them have lasted for almost 12 years now, and some have been on 24hrs a day.

Must be one heckofa Time Machine in that garage of yours.

Me, I have some LED's that have lasted 6 or 7 years but in general that will fails after about 2-3 years if left on all the time. BTW, I do that in my living room, that way if something goes bam in the night I don't have to fuss with a weapons light because the stage is already lit.

As cheap as LED's are not 2-3 years doesn't bother me at all. Because I can remember when I first moved into this house and had to replace incandescent bulbs about once a month. I actually had full shelf in the back hall closet filled with boxes of light bulbs and bought them in bulk at HD. So, bulbs that last 2-3 years, I am all for that. One thing that does bug me is that GE stopped making the 60W stick bulbs that fit so well in my kitchen chandelier, once I run out of my stach of spares I'll have to go back to incandescent because nobody seem to make a small globe large base LED.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

No fair traveling at relativistic speeds in order to get 12 years out of a one year old bulb!

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I bought 6 expensive ones, high lumen with reflectors for the garage and attic. 3 year warrantee. Fantastic! Two went out in 37 - 38 months. Two more still light up but constantly pulse about twice a second brighter and dimmer. Had some Cree 60 watts in the center hall... lasted about a year and a half. And ~50% of my designer brand LED under counter lights have gone out in 5 years.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I buy them at Walmart or Home Depot and keep the receipts. Since I'm at those places regularly, it's not out of the way to return bad ones nor do the vendors quibble.

I have a small utility light that eats LED's for some reason, the last replacement is lasting much longer. It has an odd short delay when powering on. I wonder if this behavior is some new deal that improves life.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We moved into our current home 4 years ago - I started to replace incandescent bulbs with LEDs as they burned out. Less than a year in and all bulbs were replaced. Since then we've had three LEDs go down. Most are Feit dimmable (non dimmable bulbs always have a marked delay when turning on.

The three bulbs that have failed have been the ones in the bathroom fixtures above the sink/mirror. I don't know if its fixture design, humidity or just more on/off cycles there.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
CREE SUX.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post