SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Rollin' Coal"?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Rollin' Coal"? Login/Join 
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I recently "deleted" my 6.7 powerstroke. I have had a company truck and this diesel has only 14,000 miles on since new (2013). When I got my second egt sensor failure and was out of warranty... emissions BS had to go.

I admittedly "roll coal" from time to time. Only on country roads, were not talking power braking here, just upon acceleration. I have only one program and it is the mild one.

A delete sure does wake these trucks up and it's hard not to get into it for the first few weeks following a performance enhancement.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
During the summer, I eat lunch with a couple buddies at a restaurant with outdoor seating. Periodically, some asshat pulls up with his knocken' diesel and has to leave it running while he runs in for a takeout.

One of us is forced to say, "Hey pal, would you shut that off. We don't want to hear it or smell it."

After a dirty look, they ususally do.

Looooosers

my shop van is a 2005 E350 diesel,

I shut it off when I hit a drive thru for eats,
so I can actually hear the person taking my order, and shut it down again at the window,

it's a great van, but as a 2005 stripped work van, it is a bit loud, inside as much as out

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
Have a 2000 Dodge with 5.9 Cummings. Owners manual gives engine cool-off times based upon load truck has been run to protect the turbo. Example is 30 seconds from light driving with no load to 5 minutes if driven on highway towing a heavy load. I believe it is 'coking' creating abrasive particles in the hot oil sitting in the turbo causing premature wear on turbo bearings. Don't know about newer trucks?

I’ve given some thought to the idea of idling to cool the turbo. If it is important for Diesel engines, shouldn’t it apply also to gas engines with turbo induction? The only variable I see is combustion temperature being lower in a gas engine, so the turbo would be cooler. With newer EGR on diesels, I’d think the combustion temperature is also lower on diesels. Just a thought. I’d love to hear from someone who definitely knew why diesels needing idling to cool turbos while gas engines do not.

Newer big diesels have water-cooled turbos, so the value of idling to cool the turbo is not really necessary. Old habits and practices persist, though, so people still do.

One side note: Synthetic oils don’t coke as readily as mineral oils. Do yourself a favor and run synthetic oil. Mineral oil cokes above 600 degrees.

This isn’t necessarily true. I run a lot of different diesels, from 300-2600 hp diesels. Most all of the ones I run have water cooled turbos as well as inter cooled (and/or after cooled) with water cooling the inter or aftercoolers The older mechanical diesels, cruise speed would run no more than 850F exhaust gas temperatures, higher than that was considered too much load. The newer electronic controlled diesels are running 1200-1300F exhaust gas temperatures at cruise as they’re able to make a lot more power at the higher combustion temperatures and get them to burn cleaner for emissions, yet the computers keep them at the right air fuel mixture and from grenading. And, the next phase I’m seeing catalytic converters and afterburners on off-road diesels to meet tier iii emissions. EGT’s are measured right after the turbo. The ones I run are sea water cooled so they have an infinite amount of 60-85F water cooling them.

For longevity it is important to let them idle a few minutes before shutting them off, and it’s better for them to leave them running a few minutes instead of shutting them off and restarting as block temperatures, egt and turbo temps, and combustion temperatures don’t spike after being shut off and then drop after restarting. Plus a diesel idling unloaded, burns virtually no fuel at all. It generally takes about 2 minutes for the egt’s to go from 1250F to 400F after there is no load and they’re idling.

If you want maximum acceleration out of a diesel, you’re going to get black smoke with it. Leaner and the acceleration won’t be as fast or strong. I don’t agree with these rolling coal fools that don’t tow and don’t off-road their pick ups and just love blowing black smoke and listening to their turbos whine.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Here in Maryland, in it's Democrat finery, it's against the law to knowingly "Roll Coal"? We do have some exceptions like tow, dump, buses, and larger trucks. Fun place this Maryland, we have a law for just about everything. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Newer big diesels have water-cooled turbos, so the value of idling to cool the turbo is not really necessary

Hi jimmy123x, Just so we are comparing apples to apples, my Cummings turbo and the turbos of engines I am familiar with, cranes, earthmoving equipment, concrete pumps, trucks, from years before retirement are air cooled. The aluminum pistons in my 2000 Cummings 5.9 start melting at 1150* F. or near that, so I drive by the pyrometer I installed on the A pillar rather than depend solely upon the Dodge computer software. No water cooling of turbos in any of the discussions to date, though I am not familiar with the more recent Dodge, Ford or GM diesel technology.
Of course let's don't give the EPA diesel hating weenies any more ideas after the DEF technology debacle, another reason I like my trucks technology, though it does have a computer thingy controlling things. Frown

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
quote:
Newer big diesels have water-cooled turbos, so the value of idling to cool the turbo is not really necessary

Hi jimmy123x, Just so we are comparing apples to apples, my Cummings turbo and the turbos of engines I am familiar with, cranes, earthmoving equipment, concrete pumps, trucks, from years before retirement are air cooled. The aluminum pistons in my 2000 Cummings 5.9 start melting at 1150* F. or near that, so I drive by the pyrometer I installed on the A pillar rather than depend solely upon the Dodge computer software. No water cooling of turbos in any of the discussions to date, though I am not familiar with the more recent Dodge, Ford or GM diesel technology.
Of course let's don't give the EPA diesel hating weenies any more ideas after the DEF technology debacle, another reason I like my trucks technology, though it does have a computer thingy controlling things. Frown

The modern computers are much more advanced than what your truck has and monitors a lot more parameters. I don't think the pickup diesels have water cooled turbo's. But, they are running the much hotter EGT's than what your truck is running...… so the cool down idle time is still good for them.

Some of the marine engines I'm running sell for close to $1 million each. (MTU 16v2000's 2600 HP, CAT C32's 1900 HP). The engine display tells everything from each bank temperature, boost, vacuum on air filter, fuel pressure, load, throttle setting, coolant pressure, coolant temp, etc. etc. etc. They all have sea water cooling inter/after coolers and turbos because well, there is an infinite supply of it and to get more HP.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
So, the hillbilly’s around here can’t be satisfied with merely rolling coal. THAT is so 2016.

They also must make a statement on their back window that profoundly illustrates who they are.

Leaving my sons high school I saw-

“You can kiss my country ass”, “Fuck your Ford”, and my personal favorite “#1 Pussy Grabber”

And their parents, if in the picture obviously approve.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
“You can kiss my country ass”, “Fuck your Ford”, and my personal favorite “#1 Pussy Grabber”

I think this kind of stuff is great! I see it as advertising, and stupid that advertises is easy to avoid. It's stealth stupid that causes problems.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Rollin coal is only for war protesters, communist, and anyone else who hates america. Its called being a dick otherwise.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have a 2000 Dodge with 5.9 Cummings.

Walkinghorse,

I am about to inherit that exact same truck from my uncle. 170k miles on the clock. Anything you could tell me about it would be very helpful. I have been driving gas engine Fords for 15 years. I have several friends that are shop owners / ASE certified master techs and they all tell me the same thing: the tranny will grenade somewhere around 200k. Have you experienced that?

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Rev. A.J. I had a '99 Dodge w/ the auto which I replaced at 100K. You could feel the tranny slipping a little bit when pulling a trailer. I was going to put in a 6 speed 5600, but didn't have the time before heading out west.

I also look at getting a FASS fuel pump. The VP44 pump that is on that generation was not very reliable.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a Facebook article earlier of this year of a Utah cyclist competing in a road race where he was coal rolled at some summit. Fortunately his buddy was a race photographer and capture the moment, complete with license plate number. Cops made a visit to the owner.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59: Fortunately his buddy was a race photographer and capture the moment, complete with license plate number. Cops made a visit to the owner.

Pray tell, what the driver would be charged with?? I ask out of pure curiosity, when I was stationed in VA I saw the cops light someone up for "display of power" when a guy raced the engine at a red light....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Pray tell, what the driver would be charged with?? I ask out of pure curiosity, when I was stationed in VA I saw the cops light someone up for "display of power" when a guy raced the engine at a red light....

Not sure if any charges were brought up, however I think a creative LEO could come up with something. Perhaps a stern rebuke would be adequate.

In the case of a cyclist, if the rider is momentarily disoriented, he could be catastrophic - drifting into traffic, hitting/running over something on the roadway, drifting off the shoulder, riding into another rider? No one has to die in order for it to ruin their day.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59: Fortunately his buddy was a race photographer and capture the moment, complete with license plate number. Cops made a visit to the owner.

Title 46.2-1048 Pollution control systems or devices.

Could also be charged with reckless driving if the smoke blocked the bicyclers view of seeing the rode and could effect his safety.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pray tell, what the driver would be charged with?
Mopery on the high seas?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Around here it would fall under the equipment of a vehicle not to be a nuisance statute.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=6294

Fortunately around here that nonsense has pretty much gone by the wayside.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Pray tell, what the driver would be charged with?
Mopery on the high seas?

Big Grin

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Just further evidence of an out of control government. It doesn't matter what you do, there's a law out there somewhere that they can use to charge you with.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Just further evidence of an out of control government. It doesn't matter what you do, there's a law out there somewhere that they can use to charge you with.

Well, they've gotta have something fancier than "just being a douche" to charge people with. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post