SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    USAA Insurance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USAA Insurance Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I ditched their insurance a year ago. Just moved my brokerage to Schwab.

I think it was in the 80's when they started opening their services to enlisted personnel. Now they extended that to dependents. It's the same with PenFed and Navy Fed, I believe.

Membership has just grown too big, IMO. I obviously understand the enlisted personnel but why dependents?

I will not be using them for my mortgage when we buy a house. I will use PenFed or Navy Fed.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Expressed pertinent opinion in this other thread:
LINK

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I switched to USAA when I first enlisted in 2009.

I dropped them about four years later.

Every other year or so I'll get a quote from them, but it's consistently $80-100 a MONTH more than I pay with State Farm (who I'm also not thrilled with, paying $210/month for my Camaro, but c'est la vie).

I'll probably check again in a couple years when I hit 30, but not holding my breath.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've been with USAA since '75. No question that they've changed dramatically over the years. They're just a shadow of what they once were. Many services have been farmed out or discontinued. In both cases a significant reduction in quality. Sad overall really.

I haven't had any bad experiences with them regarding claims or policy costs. And now, being an over 40 year customer, I get a senior disbursement in addition to the regular annual one. These combine to significantly reduce my annual premiums costs, so I'm unwilling to change companies.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still bank with them, but just dumped auto and home owners insurance. I have been with them 30yrs, but their rates were extremely high when compared to other companies. I hadn't even shopped for car insurance for 15+ yrs because I trusted that I was getting good rates. I also tried to go with them on a recent home mortgage, but they wanted $7K more a at closing than Quicken Loans. Very disappointed in what's hey have become.

Posts: 379 | Location: Shenandoah Valley - VA | Registered: February 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still bank with them as well but no longer do I have any insurance with them. I was able to get more coverage for less with a local company.My wife and I are considering moving everything over to a local bank.

They are just way to expensive insurance-wise.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had GEICO forever, but last year wanted to see if USAA would be cheaper because I figured it would be easy to just have everything through them since I like their banking app. For two cars they were $165 a month higher than GEICO with way less coverage, I mean like less than half of the coverage I have with GEICO. I passed on that one. I don't have an issue with their banking though.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
I don't have an issue with their banking though.

I transferred my brokerage services from USAA to Schwab. Fees with Schwab are lower and I felt there was more research on their respective pages/apps.

Right now I still use them for my checking. Will that change one day? Probably not as I've been very happy with that.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Looked into their insurance, had the same experience - no motorcycle coverage, and they were way more expensive than my State Farm policies.

Their banking services are way better than Wells Fargo, which is my only recent frame of reference. Debating opening a Schwab account as well.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
They may be a shell of what they used to be, but they’re still competitive for what I use them for. They did raise my insurance $200 per year total for our two cars based on being the victim in two hit and run accidents in the past 2.5 years, but State Farm was double the price when I shopped around recently.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post