SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Companies pushing their cards on you
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Companies pushing their cards on you Login/Join 
Picture of lcbjr77
posted
Go to Home Depot with about $80 in the carriage/cart...

Cashier asks "Hello, do you want to open a Home Depot charge today"?

I say "I already have one, but I will pay using my Home Depot charge card".

Cashier:"Well if you open a new account you can save 10% today".

Why do I want a second account/ and a hit on my credit to save 8 bucks...Do people actually do this....maybe for a huge purchase like a deck, kitchen, etc? I dunno

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
So you're saying you don't want to save $8?? Wink

quote:
Originally posted by lcbjr77:
Go to Home Depot with about $80 in the carriage/cart...

Cashier asks "Hello, do you want to open a Home Depot charge today"?

I say "I already have one, but I will pay using my Home Depot charge card".

Cashier:"Well if you open a new account you can save 10% today".

Why do I want a second account/ and a hit on my credit to save 8 bucks...Do people actually do this....maybe for a huge purchase like a deck, kitchen, etc? I dunno

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
It's the same everywhere in retailing - management has quotas to meet on the number of cards registered.
If they don't meet the quotas, they don't get any bonus.
So, they make the poor cashiers push the cards on the customers.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lowes signed me up for a business card a few years ago with the sales pitch that every purchase with that card got 5% off + the rewards points another 5% I think

I said sure and made up a business name at the register and ignored the part where they asked for the business tax Id number

That card has been worthwhile as we always have some type of project going on

And I am even using it for business now.

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
This pisses me off every time. Would you like to join the rewards program and save 10% on your purchase. We will then send you emails and mail daily the rest of your life.

That’s a hard no on the 10% off......

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Simple upsell training.

If you ask every single customer if they want a card, some small percentage will say yes.

If you ask every single customer that says no, some small percentage will say yes.

The Home Depot does something like 1.5 billion customer transactions annually. Increasing the chances of landing a new card account from 1 in 10,000 transactions to 2 in 10,000 transactions by simply asking the second follow up question could potentially create an additional 150,000 card members for them.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
No store cards for me. I do have a "My Lowe's" card, but mainly because it makes it really easy to return product.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I bought a shotgun last week. By taking the store's credit card, I got $50.00 off the price. I will pay the card off when the bill arrives and never use the card again. I did the same thing several years ago with Home Depot when buying a lawnmower.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. All of the stupid rewards card also you need to sign up for to get the discount. I have an email address just for all of these junk items.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post