SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Celebrity Endorsement Advertisements!?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Celebrity Endorsement Advertisements!? Login/Join 
posted
Does anybody really believe the celebrity really uses the product?
Or has any anything to do with the product other than collecting their fee for their face and name on the TV screen?

I know, an old common gripe, but just annoying to say the least!
I hope Selleck some day has to reverse mortgage his avocado groves to pay his water bills!

Jim

Posts: 1348 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anybody really believe the celebrity really uses the product?

Doubtful...

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Endorsements of any kind are wasted on me . I don't care if they use the products or even like the products .

Posts: 4044 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given his current situation, Alex Trebek advertising for Colonial Penn seems... Ironic.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'd better not catch Mike Lindell sleeping on My Pillow.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they have done market research that shows it's effective. Otherwise they wouldn't spend the money to do it. But I can tell you that it doesn't work on me.

Posts: 1048 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Wilford Brimley and Diabeetus cat

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
No quite the opposite for me.

If Foster Brooks wasn't such a drunk, he may have been able to get a hard on.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joe Namath comes to mind. From advertising pantyhose to now shilling for Medicare Advantage plans. OH BOY a free ride to the doctor. They do not mention the van picks you up at 7 am for your 11 am appointment, picks up ten other people and comes back at five to get you. Such a deal!

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
...because they mismanaged their wealth for so many years.

Yup. Amazing how twelve million dollars just doesn't go that far nowadays. Confused

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Joe Namath comes to mind. From advertising pantyhose to now shilling for Medicare Advantage plans. OH BOY a free ride to the doctor. They do not mention the van picks you up at 7 am for your 11 am appointment, picks up ten other people and comes back at five to get you. Such a deal!

I like "Broadway Joe", but in that Medicare Advantage commercial he sounds like he's had a few too many.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
They're celebrities, and I haven't a clue why. Whether they advertise or not. Who cares?

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Apparently somebody does, or the advertisers wouldn't pay them. They could hire no-name actors for much less.

quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider:
They're celebrities, and I haven't a clue why. Whether they advertise or not. Who cares?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Anybody want to buy some gold?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Celebrities are paid to portray whatever persona their sponsors desire independent of personal feelings or morals. They carry ZERO credibility in anything they represent.

You're going to buy or use XYZ because a celebrity spoke about it? You brainless, vapid twit!

Seeing a celebrity endorse an item makes it even LESS likely to gain my attention.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4570 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Anything with Bradshaw in it is an endorsement to change the channel.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I don't know, Marino made me really want to buy a pair of pair of Isotoners, but I was 8-9 then, and was not in charge of household purchasing decisions at the time.

What I hate way more is live reads. I listen to sports talk radio and political commentary, no where else in the entertainment sphere are live reads done as in sports and political talk shows.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to honestly say it depends.

Jerry Miculek endorsing guns, ammo, gun parts... Yeah, I'll take his word for it.

Rusty Wallace, Kyle Busch want to talk to me about oil, auto parts, engines...
I'm all ears.

Some NBA, MLB, NFL star wants to pontificate about basketballs, how well under-armor works...
I'll listen.

But if any of them want to sell me insurance, talk about the benefits of a reverse mortgage, or what the best flea collar for my dog is...
Keep walking, cause I ain't buying.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
You're going to buy or use XYZ because a celebrity spoke about it? You brainless, vapid twit!

Such advertising is nevertheless very effective, or at least perceived to be effective because it’s been around since there was advertising and celebrities to work together. I still have clear memories of sports figures’ touting various cigarette and beer brands in the 1950s and ’60s.

But I’m very skeptical of any obvious advertising by some “personality.” “Gunny endorsed” is always one that jumps to mind. Yes, he was a Marine, but he was mostly a movie actor and I know nothing about him to believe that he was an expert on ammunition, firearms or their maintenance any more than I am myself. Then there are the celebs who jump from one brand to another. You didn’t pay enough attention to what you endorsed in the first place to stick with it? If a true authority mentions a product in a book and explains why he like it, then I might be convinced, but otherwise I will assume that it’s being hawked because of the money to do so.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post