Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I've bought FoMoCo parts here, good dealer about 50 miles from me, after shipping it was stil cheaper than I could find at any of the 5 dealers in the area at full price.

https://parts.lakelandford.com/

What is the part number...

w712688s430

I already drove over and bought it and they will have it tomorrow. It was less than 6 bucks so I wasn't really worried about price shopping. I just needed it by this weekend and the only way to do that was to actually drive to the dealer and prepay so that they could order it. Ford will ship parts overnight to their own shops but not to a customer like me. Well, they will ship it overnight, but they won't put it in a box and put the overnight label on it for 2-3 days.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Lifelong Ford hater. Threads like this serve to only reinforce my mistrust in that brands reliability.

I drive a 2008 Toyota Camry with 191k miles and I have every expectation that it will get me to and from work without issue.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had numerous Explorers and a Bronco before buying a 2004 Explorer V8. It was the biggest lemon I have ever had. It spent most of its time in the shop mostly for drivetrain problems including at one point, replacing the entire rear end. My loaner car was from an Enterprise rental business across the street. Those people and I were soon on a first name basis. I eventually traded it on a 2006 Toyota 4-Runner, which so far, was the best vehicle I ever owned. Put 234,000 miles on it, until I got tired of hearing my wife say, "You need a new car" every time I had some minor issue. I now have an Outback .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
2011 Ford Escape.

Rear liftgate was rusting at the bottom where it seals. 42000 miles and Ford would not cover under the rust warranty.

transmission slipping upon accelerating at intersections Ford wouldn't even look at it. I told the Ford dealer with multiple customers they and Ford were pieces of shit. Don't buy it you will regret it.

I was asked to leave the dealership, and not come back.

Bought a Frontier. 37000+ miles trouble free.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Everyone I've known with Explorers had problems, none of them minor. I wouldn't have one.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1997 Ford F-150: 199,5xx miles
1999 Ford Explorer: 242,xxx miles
2000 Mercury Mountaineer: 196,xxx miles

All of these are 4x4 & still in my driveway. My wife drives the Mercury to work everyday. The 1999 Explorer is basically put out to pasture, we're gonna donate it to a charity soon. The F-150 is my bad weather/cool weather (the AC stopped working a few years back) vehicle. In the garage are my 2013 F-150 Lariat 4x4 and my wife's 2013 Edge Limited. We have always been a Ford Family and have had very good success with them. My daughter has a 2wd 2012 Escape that has gotten her through 4 years of Pharmacy School in Nashville stop & go traffic and my son just traded in his 2012 F-150 Platinum 4x4 on a 2017 FX4 XLT.

Of course with 2 family members working at Ford, (my son and my wife's sister) and my father-in-law a retiree after 38 years working for the Blue Oval, it's hard not to be a "Ford Family".

But just so you don't think I'm a total fanboy, my first car was a ...CHEVY!! It was a 1972 Nova, bronze, black vinyl top, a 350 automatic with the bench seat (Didn't have to jump into the back seat at the drive-in like you do with Bucket Seats if you catch my drift!) and Cragar 5 spoke chrome wheels. I loved that car! Only problems I ever had with it was a starter & an alternator going out on me.

In between we have had a '76 Pinto (don't laugh, it never gave us any problems), an '85 Mercury Cougar, an '89 Mustang GT, '96 Mustang Cobra Convertible, and a 2003 Mustang Mach 1. I hated selling the Mustangs, I literally cried when I had to sell each one because of the needs of my kids. The 89 was sold to get the 99 Explorer for our growing family. The Cobra was sold to help pay for my son's college tuition and the Mach 1 was sold to help pay for my daughter's college tuition.

I'm sorry for all of you who have bad luck with Ford vehicles. We must have gotten all of your good luck. I hope our lucky streak continues and your luck improves with whatever vehicle you own in the future.

Posts: 374 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig239dlehr:

From what I have read on the various Ford forums a lot of older Fords don't suffer the same issues as ones built in this millennium, especially trucks and SUVs. I wouldn't hesitate to own another Ford truck built in the 90's but I am pretty much done with anything built after 2000.

I really never wanted to be this guy, the guy who said he would never buy another vehicle of one brand I mean. But in doing my research trying to figure out what is wrong with my Explorer every time it breaks down I have yet to discover an issue that does not seem to be commonplace. It seems to me that Ford built a bunch of lines of cars with poor quality parts. That is not bad luck on my part or simply something mechanical breaking. It is a manufacturer cutting costs by cutting corners on quality. It's a shame, especially with the Bronco and Ranger coming back. And I too come from a Ford family. My uncle worked for Ford for 20 years and still works on a contract basis for them almost 20 years after he retired. My entire family drove fords for a long time and as far as I know, other than my brother, we all still own at least one. But I probably won't buy a new Ford ever again.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a 2008 Expedition since new, it now has 96k miles on it. I've had relatively no issues with it.......changed heater core hoses, idler pulley (bearing making noise), a/c blower motor and 2 window regulators and that's it. Maybe $1000 in repairs in 10 years ownership.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am cursed with Fords at work. I don't have one good thing to say about them. Not one.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
I told the Ford dealer with multiple customers they and Ford were pieces of shit. Don't buy it you will regret it.

I was asked to leave the dealership, and not come back.
Hah! Back in 1976 we bought a used Mercedes 280 from a dealer in Chicago. Turned out to be a real lemon, one repair after another. Decided to replace it with a new 240D diesel, hoping for reliability (turned out that it was as solid as an anvil).

The dealer offered us a trade-in for the used 280 that he had sold us less than a year prior. Offered us less than half of what he had sold us that piece of shit for. I was angry. My wife was livid. She used her "outside" voice to tell the dealer, "Either you fucked us when you sold us that car, or you're trying to fuck us now."

There were some customers in the showroom, negotiating for a high-end car, who got very interested in our loud debate.

The sales manager did not want to lose that sale, so he immediately agreed to give us 100% of what we had paid him for the old car, plus reimburse us for some of the repairs.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Not sure about current version of the Escape but the last boxy model must've been given a complete junk transmission. I know three people that had one with a blown transmission before 80k miles.

Yeah. That is what I have heard.

Anyway on the Explorer, it was the alternator. Family trip was delayed by a day, the mechanics had it ready by noon.

Overall, we had been really happy with the Explorer. My wife loves it, I even offered to drive it and get her a new vehicle prior to this incident and she declined.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Those type of situations are not only dangerous but you feel helpless at the same time.

My C2500 truck had the throw out bearing go bad so you couldn't shift the transmission. Lucky, a person at BJ's, helped me out and called AAA or I would still be there.

Then the shop in Waynesboro re-promised on three different times. Several wires are loose under the dash and the brake fault light is on which is probably due to the loose wire.

At least it is cheaper to fix then buy a new truck. Plus it has character...Carol Browner paint job, 208K miles, 21 MPG on the highway, survived a hit by a cellphone driver, never driven in the winter time so salt free, 117K miles on the original mufflers, Flow-Fit bucket seats that recline..... Smile

Seriously, nobody ever taught you how to "bump" gears? Back in the Day if a Clutch didn't work we would start the car in gear and bump gears until we got home. Heck I know of one fellow who drove like this for over a month because he didn't have the cash for a new pressure plate. While I suspect that doing this so long wasn't good for his starter it still worked when he sold the car three years later.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Those type of situations are not only dangerous but you feel helpless at the same time.

My C2500 truck had the throw out bearing go bad so you couldn't shift the transmission. Lucky, a person at BJ's, helped me out and called AAA or I would still be there.

Then the shop in Waynesboro re-promised on three different times. Several wires are loose under the dash and the brake fault light is on which is probably due to the loose wire.

At least it is cheaper to fix then buy a new truck. Plus it has character...Carol Browner paint job, 208K miles, 21 MPG on the highway, survived a hit by a cellphone driver, never driven in the winter time so salt free, 117K miles on the original mufflers, Flow-Fit bucket seats that recline..... Smile

Seriously, nobody ever taught you how to "bump" gears? Back in the Day if a Clutch didn't work we would start the car in gear and bump gears until we got home. Heck I know of one fellow who drove like this for over a month because he didn't have the cash for a new pressure plate. While I suspect that doing this so long wasn't good for his starter it still worked when he sold the car three years later.

I tried but I think the pivot ball that holds the arm came loose and in turn destroyed the throw out bearing. Also he said the flywheel was burnt and it was replaced as well. It was a helpless feeling and thanks to Butch that helped me out and called AAA.

The place that worked on it was not the most professional. Also the slave cylinder push rod may not be long enough because you have to push the pedal all the way to the floor to disengage the clutch.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

My first car was a Model A pickup. Clutch went out when I was away from home. Drove it home by "bumping" gears. Ended up replacing the pressure plate. Still had that truck when I went in the army. Folks didn't drain the block in winter, and yeah, it froze and cracked the block. Wish I still had that truck! At least we could work on them then.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post