SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Random Rant about YouTube
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Random Rant about YouTube Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
What the hell is it with everyone wearing gloves for EVERYTHING? I get it when stuff is sharp or hot, or fingerprints are an issue, or it's nasty/greasy, or working with acids, etc.

But FFS, I just watched some welding tips and tricks (and did actually pick up a couple of neat ideas...) and the dudes doing layout were wearing rubber gloves! Oh shit oh dear, I messed up my manicure!

Jeebus, if you're that fussy about your cuticles, perhaps you should take up a different line of work.

Hairdressing, for instance.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
1: just like gun channels, the safety nazis will be all over them if they don’t.
2: might be thinking about having to handle that high dollar camera or other equipment after the job is done.
3: they’re just a bunch of wussies. Smile

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Faster than washing each time you need clean hands to handle something? Like the camera, computer, etc?

I'll admit I've begun this more than before too. Cooking where you know you're going to have greasy or chicken-y hands, car stuff, arranging charcoal, etc. Not because I'm too fancied to get my hands dirty, but because I can strip gloves off in 4 seconds and move on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgeair,

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Faster than washing each time you need clean hands to handle something? Like the camera, computer, etc?

I'll admit I've begun this more than before too. Cooking where you know you're going to have greasy of chicken-y hands, car stuff, arranging charcoal, etc. Not because I'm too fancied to get my hands dirty, but because I can strip gloves of in 4 seconds and move on.

This

I used to do all my car maintenance bare handed ....... and then spend 15 -20 minutes bent over the sink with a toothbrush and dawn detergent scrubbing the grease off. With gloves I just toss 'em in the trash as I leave the garage and I'm done.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
And, you can get cancer of the nads and skin from long term exposure to engine oil. Gloves for me!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I wear gloves all the time for cleaning guns, working on the car, painting mostly.
Saves cuts, easier than soaking your hands in acetone to get paint off and using a half bar of Lava (not to mention: not having to listen to the wife yell about the sink being dirty).
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I get all that, I wear heavy-duty rubber gloves when working on greasy stuff or painting while holding the target in my paw.

But to lay out scribe lines on steel or wood? To spend 15 minutes describing how you opened a fucking box? Seriously?

Oh well, different strokes for different folks. They have every right to wear gloves 24/7 if that's what trips their trigger.

I just reserve the right to giggle at them.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I hired a babe like 40 years ago. She was one of the now obsolete keypunch operators. And she wasn't shy about the things she discussed. She even embarrassed me from time to time. One thing she was particularly careful about was guys she dateds hands. She examined them closely, particularly their finger nails. Her rationale was if he wanted to put his fingers inside her, he better not have any grease on them. It kind of made sense to me. Smile

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Nobody wore gloves except for working around or with hot objects (e.g., exhaust) when I started in my business. I can't stand rubber gloves. Even the thin ones reduce my "feel," and when I sweat in the summer they make my skin clammy. So I just live with the dirt and grease and occasionally getting them beaten up.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
^^^Exactly! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Damn near choked on my oaty-meal!

You can dang near read my employment history by looking at the mini-scars (and a couple not so mini) on my hands.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Couple of years ago I was waiting on a customer to show up and decided to make a youtube video with my new i-Phone.... on how to cut expanded metal with a cordless right angle grinder... over 21,000 views as of today...

I was wearing regular glasses... but no gloves...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxX_hnCz6G0

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yup! When I worked at the cannery, I cut a shit ton of that stuff. Stainless, mild or aluminum.

Actually had a little side gig going using the stainless cutoffs to make ice fishing scoops. Got pretty good at TIGing stainless expanded...

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post