SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Moving!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving! Login/Join 
Picture of BrianC
posted
I'm in the midst of moving. I haven't had to do so in a few decades and am finding it overwhelming. Any suggestions to make it easier?

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hire movers.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Yeah.

Leave everything and buy new stuff when you get there.

Wink

Or good music and a bottle of single malt scotch.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Do you have any friends?

Friends will help you move.

Good friends will help you move a body.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time to purge....I made lotsa trips to goodwill

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:
Time to purge....I made lotsa trips to goodwill

Hah!

Try telling that to my GF....the "Tupperware Queen" of Tucson.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
You need to update your location.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4779 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
How far are you moving. If local just do a little at a time.
If moving over a long distance hire a mover.
When my wife and I moved from NJ to FL 18 years ago The first thing we did is decide what we did want to keep. We donated a lot of items to local charity's.
You can find movers that will pack all your stuff,load it in a truck,unload it and unpack it for you. It is very expensive though.
My wife and I packed all of our own boxes and had a mover load his truck in NJ and then he unloaded it in FL. We did all the unpacking our self.
My father had a motor home with a tow dolly for one of our cars and I drove the other. My wife and our 2 dogs went in the motor home with anything we did not want to place in the moving truck (guns,important papers,valuables and anything that could not be replaced)
Yes it was very stressful. We bought a new home with no jobs set up before the move. At one point we thought we were making a mistake moving however it was one of the best decisions we made.
Our move was being made to change our lifestyle and save our sanity.
Make a plan and try to follow it as best as you can. My wife and I were still loading the motor home on the day of the closing with the new owners. The new owners were great and told us not to stress out and finish up later that day.
I wish you the best with the move.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Stop packing shit you haven't used/touched/needed in the past year or more, or all those special momentos and keepsakes that live in a box in the closet and will be thrown out by your heirs. Find a good home for them now or let them go.

We are many of use hoarders underneath, the outward difference being organization and no cats!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Rent a dumpster. Throw things away.

Then, commit yourself to donating half of all the stuff you think you still want up keep, but will probably end up in storage at the new place.

Hire someone to help you pack. There are professional Packers that will organize your things and pack them up in boxes. Obviously you should pack your guns, jewelry, and valuables yourself and keep an eye on the person you hired.

Then, hire movers to pack up your furniture, your boxes and deliver them to your new location.

Commit yourself to unpack within 3 days. If it doesn't get unpacked within the first three days, you risk that stuff just living in boxes forever.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Have an auction.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my area, Salvation Army will send a truck and help to pick up furniture in your home and other large items for donations.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Have a REALLY BIG yard sale. Buy new stuff.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I moved to the Yoop:
I sold off most of the household furniture and used the money to buy new furniture when I arrived in the Frozen North.
What I couldn't sell, I donated.
Dump everything you can. In the end, I had one U-Haul 20 foot truck load. Which included a motorcycle and a gun safe.
When moving a short distance, I did it room by room. Move one room, set it up, repeat until you are in the new place. Less chaotic that way, at least for me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Rent a Dumpster?

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianC:
I'm in the midst of moving. I haven't had to do so in a few decades and am finding it overwhelming. Any suggestions to make it easier?

You can't avoid it, so just enjoy it. Big Grin

Look at the bright side, you won't have to move for another few decades. And, by that time, the distance is only 6 feet. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by will347wax:
Hire movers.

I have, but there's so much to do before they can move the furniture.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by BrianC:

You can't avoid it, so just enjoy it. Big Grin

Look at the bright side, you won't have to move for another few decades. And, by that time, the distance is only 6 feet. Big Grin

I like your thinking! Big Grin

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
We've moved 5 times in the last sixteen years.

It never gets any easier from the big view.

What I can tell you that helped me was getting large/medium sized (depending on your gear) rubbermaid containers.

All of my camping gear went into rubbermaid containers, firearm stuff- holsters, scopes, boxes for things installed, reloading setups, etc in others. Select the size so it isn't too heavy.

I labeled the outside of the non-clear containers so I knew where things were.
After I did this once everything was organized.
I put the least-used containers on the bottom in storage.

Since I never allow movers to touch my firearms anyway, this made it really easy to keep the delicate/valuable stuff together and easy to move. I have a few hardigg, halliburton and pelican cases for magazines, multiple pistols, and other components.

One of the nice things- you don't have to worry so much about water or critters after this. I've done this through the last three moves and it worked great...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by will347wax:
Hire movers.

I have moved once from the original house purchased after marriage. As a sad period of my life, my father was admitted to a hospital with a terminal illness the very week my wife, son and I were to move.

As a totally unplanned event, we had to hire a moving company. The moving company was an absolute “Godsend” under the circumstances.

If there is any way to afford it, I would highly recommend a moving company. That was a ray of light in a dark time.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post