New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skunks Login/Join 
Stuck on
himself
posted
The little bastards are everywhere this year. They’re always around these parts but for reasons unknown this year they’ve been a veritable plague. The dog has been nailed three times this summer, I’ve had to mothball the back part of my yard to keep them from nesting under the shed, and I’ve sprayed my garden with cayenne pepper solution heaven knows how many times to encourage them to freeload elsewhere. Yet every morning the stench is near unbearable and I can hardly go outside until later in the day when their presence finally dissipates.

Traps are next but I don’t really wanna. Eek

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Went to take myGerman Shepard outside one night and as soon as we cleared the door she immediately and ferociously attacked something. We were sprayed up close. My dog let go and whined while trying to roll the smell off in the grass for a few seconds and then went back to attack the skunk again, getting another dose of spray. Ugh that was nasty. A couple of weeks ago I accidentally caught a skunk in my live trap. I was trying to get squirrels (chewing on my house). Getting that skunk out of the trap involved some daring do.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
That Shake Away product works well. It's powdered fox urine I think. It's not the cheapest but when input that around the yard bam, skunks are gone for a while.

I dont have a huge yard though, if you do you can at least try it on your shed area

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
A neighbor was out gathering his chickens the other night. No yard light. He reached down to grab one of the buggers and came up with a skunk - you know they taste and look like chickens.

Yep he got bit and sprayed. The skunk got away and he started his rabies shots that night.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
We call this skunk season and ratchet up awareness as motoring across AL/MS backroads. Something in the road, hit the RECIRC button on a/c right NOW!!!!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy my polecats. They spray my neighbors. Very amusing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We like the little critters. My wife and I don't find the smell to horrible. We even fostered some babies before. First was a single inside the house. We called him Cujo And NO it didn't have its glands removed. The main problem with them is they're nocturnal so when you want to go to sleep they want you to get up and play with them.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
In the early 70"s two of my younger brothers had acquired a baby skunk which they took to the vet and had the glands removed. They had it leash trained and would take the little fellow for walks downtown and to watch the local citizens scatter was a sight to be seen. Its coat/hair/fur felt like steel wool. .................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2006 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Ive never Been sprayed or near a fresh spray but i have hit several fresh road kills. Ive never Thought the smell was bad, but i have also been told it’s the overpowering nature of the smell that is the issue. Not the small itself.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The babies are pretty darn cute. Too bad they have a hair trigger and spray under my house.

Mom's Jack Russell had some kind of vendetta against them. He kills them any chance he gets with predictable results on the stink front. Almost ruined Christmas a couple years ago when he went out murdering and stank up the house something fierce.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red fox urine. Natural predator of the skunk. You do not want them under your house!

Posts: 207 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Trap and a firearm. End of story. Can’t stand them. I have trapped them before but mostly catch possums and the occasional coon. When I had my GSD I trained her on the Possums. She’d smell it from inside the house and alert. We’d go around back, and use the rear door and walk around the front. She’d chase it down, mark it, it’d play Possum and I’d load the .22 air rifle. Good days one shot to the head. But mostly it’d take 2 shots to put it out of its’ misery. Fuckers tear up my mulch bed and shit on the property.

The neighbors down the street keep and feed a cat that stays and lives outdoors. I’m tired of the paw prints on my truck. I catch that fucker it’s going down too. A trash bag and a city trash can and it’ll be gone too.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
The little buggers seem to like passing by our backyard and leave a trail of their aroma... therefore, i always take a look around with a flashlight, before letting the dogs outside.

We've also accidentally live trapped one. I always cover the trap with a towel, to make it less obvious. We've had issues with cats and other critters. Have been able to relocate the critters to a nice park with a river, but when i started to pull back the towel and that tail came up, 'bout had a heart attack!

Talked to one of the animal control officers and he said for a small fee he would take the trap and relocate the varmint, then return our trap. He got back and said it went very smoothly as the towel allowed him to not be sprayed.

Best twenty bucks i ever spent! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a lady on the local news,
Her landlord was making her move out.

Seems she rehabs every wild annoying vermin and rodent you can do with out.

She went on the news to plead with a land lord , somewhere to contact her, to allow her to rent from them.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Trap and a firearm. End of story. Can’t stand them. I have trapped them before but mostly catch possums and the occasional coon. When I had my GSD I trained her on the Possums. She’d smell it from inside the house and alert. We’d go around back, and use the rear door and walk around the front. She’d chase it down, mark it, it’d play Possum and I’d load the .22 air rifle. Good days one shot to the head. But mostly it’d take 2 shots to put it out of its’ misery. Fuckers tear up my mulch bed and shit on the property.

The neighbors down the street keep and feed a cat that stays and lives outdoors. I’m tired of the paw prints on my truck. I catch that fucker it’s going down too. A trash bag and a city trash can and it’ll be gone too.

So, because a neighborhood cat inconveniences you by leaving paw prints on your truck you're willing to kill and dispose of it? You would rather kill someone's pet than wash your damned truck? What the fuck is wrong with you?

It's hard to believe you took the time to type that statement out and then actually hit the post button. That's not funny even if it's BS talk. I've got nice vehicles and motorcycles that are well cared for but paw prints would never bother me to that degree.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

The ice is thin under this one's feet.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
quote:

So, because a neighborhood cat inconveniences you by leaving paw prints on your truck you're willing to kill and dispose of it? You would rather kill someone's pet than wash your damned truck? What the fuck is wrong with you?

It's hard to believe you took the time to type that statement out and then actually hit the post button. That's not funny even if it's BS talk. I've got nice vehicles and motorcycles that are well cared for but paw prints would never bother me to that degree.

It’s already put small scratches on the roof and in my tonneau also. Just not enough to take it to the auto body shop and spend the money. I didn’t know I needed to elaborate so much to satisfy you. I’m not going to sit out in the garage and wait on it all night or go out of my way but.....Who feeds a cat and keeps it around but lets it roam wherever it wants doing whatever it wants in a neighborhood on taxpayers property? An asshole does that who doesn’t give 2 fucks about their neighbors. We get to clean up the cat’s shit, wash our vehicles to get rid of paw prints and get scratches on our vehicles. And they don’t let it inside. It didn’t escape. I’ve rescued a dozen animals in my neighborhood over the years and returned them to owners if they had tags otherwise they go to the pound. This cat is fed and left outside 24/7. It’s a damn nuisance. What’s next let our dogs roam the neighborhood and leave them out kibble and water and just let them do as they please? How long would that last? If I catch it tearing up my property again it’s going down and I don’t give a fuck what you think. Multiple neighbors have warned them and they do nothing. It’s on life 8 at this point. I’d never let my cat or dog roam the neighborhood like this. If you can’t do the right thing, give it away, rehome it or take it to the shelter for adoption. They choose neither. Here’s your bowl and milk, do as you please wherever you want. Well that’s going to end up a few ways. Ran over, a dog killing it, or a .22 air rifle pellet. Deal with it. A “pet” as you called it, is looked after by its owners. It’s not left out to do whatever it wants wherever it wants.

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

The ice is thin under this one's feet.

Nope. I’d say the ice is thin under that cat’s feet on my property. Don’t let your pets roam on other people’s property. It’s not how it works. Take that narcissism out to the country and buy yourself 100 acres.

Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
quote:

It’s already put small scratches on the roof and in my tonneau also. Just not enough to take it to the auto body shop and spend the money. I didn’t know I needed to elaborate so much to satisfy you. I’m not going to sit out in the garage and wait on it all night or go out of my way but.....Who feeds a cat and keeps it around but lets it roam wherever it wants doing whatever it wants in a neighborhood on taxpayers property? An asshole does that who doesn’t give 2 fucks about their neighbors. We get to clean up the cat’s shit, wash our vehicles to get rid of paw prints and get scratches on our vehicles. And they don’t let it inside. It didn’t escape. I’ve rescued a dozen animals in my neighborhood over the years and returned them to owners if they had tags otherwise they go to the pound. This cat is fed and left outside 24/7. It’s a damn nuisance. What’s next let our dogs roam the neighborhood and leave them out kibble and water and just let them do as they please? How long would that last? If I catch it tearing up my property again it’s going down and I don’t give a fuck what you think. Multiple neighbors have warned them and they do nothing. It’s on life 8 at this point. I’d never let my cat or dog roam the neighborhood like this. If you can’t do the right thing, give it away, rehome it or take it to the shelter for adoption. They choose neither. Here’s your bowl and milk, do as you please wherever you want. Well that’s going to end up a few ways. Ran over, a dog killing it, or a .22 air rifle pellet. Deal with it. A “pet” as you called it, is looked after by its owners. It’s not left out to do whatever it wants wherever it wants.

There's no need to elaborate, your vitriol speaks for itself.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post