SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    cost of two "free days" for rental car
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cost of two "free days" for rental car Login/Join 
Picture of SR
posted
I had two free days with a LARGE rental car company and decided to use them this past weekend to rent a car out of Midway Airport. I was going to my nieces wedding.

My two free days cost me $42.48: $19.98 for the toll pass option (this was an optional charge which allowed me to go through the express lanes at the toll boths) and $22.60 in taxes.

So, math wizards, what's the effective tax rate if I paid $22.60 in tax on something that cost me nothing?

I know, taxes are high in that city/state and almost every state tries to load up on taxes for hotel rooms and rental cars (thinking it passes a tax burden to out of state folks). I know $22.60 is not a lot of money but it's easily more than 2x the daily cost of my prior 'free' rental days.

On the other hand, if we had a "Sing their Praises" forum on the board I'd certainly be telling everyone how great the folks at National Rental Car were. They allowed me to move from the regular Emerald Isle choices to the Premium level without additional charge. (that level is not covered by the free days). I told them I needed something large enough to transport my mother-in-laws wheel chair.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
In some cases you still have to pay tax on "free" stuff. Been caught with that myself.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Like I tell my customers: "I don't charge tax, I collect it. The State charges it".

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I am not mistaken the car companies get hit with an airport fee/tax which gets passes on to you and the "man" does not care if its a free rental or not.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:

So, math wizards, what's the effective tax rate if I paid $22.60 in tax on something that cost me nothing?
So, math wizards, how do you add $19.98 and $22.60, and come up with $42.48? Common core?

(Just pulling your chain, don't take me seriously)

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by SR:

So, math wizards, how do you add $19.98 and $22.60, and come up with $42.48? Common core?

(Just pulling your chain, don't take me seriously)

HA!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/_SuhRiO1_bg

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
somebody has a typo.. probably me. LOL

(Print is too small on the .pdf I received. Time for new glasses.)

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It's a tourism and business traveler tax big cities use to gouge tourists instead of residents.

For example, Houston built 3 new stadiums for football, baseball, and basketball in a short time span and jacked up their taxes on hotels and rental cars. Resident's property taxes didn't go up as much as they could have, but I have to think that it impacts tourism way more than business travel.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
It's a tourism and business traveler tax big cities use to gouge tourists instead of residents.

For example, Houston built 3 new stadiums for football, baseball, and basketball in a short time span and jacked up their taxes on hotels and rental cars. Resident's property taxes didn't go up as much as they could have, but I have to think that it impacts tourism way more than business travel.

Huh? Tourists visit Huston? For what? Short of seeing Johnson Space Center, I can't think of anything I would want to visit there.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Governments love taxing rental cars to pay for things like new stadiums.

I love “resort” fees at hotels in Vegas. Stay with us for free you just have to pay our $40 a night resort fee... I get that’s it’s still an inexpensive room, but what “resort” stuff am I getting at your hotel in December? The pool is closed, your mini gym has 2 treadmills and a half of a weight set, you charge for parking so can’t even say that’s part of the fee... I’m just trying to figure out what the resort fee is for.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Huh? Tourists visit Huston? For what? Short of seeing Johnson Space Center, I can't think of anything I would want to visit there.
Big Grin A Washington Nationals and Washington Redskins fan can't be expected to understand this, but some cities have professional baseball and football teams good enough that fans fly in to watch games Big Grin

In all seriousness:
  • One of the best restaurant scenes in the US.
  • One of the top hospital systems in the US so lots of medical conferences/conventions.
  • Oil & gas capitol of the Western Hemisphere so lots of oil & gas conferences/conventions.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Anytime you rent from an airport, there are a lot of extra airport taxes on the rental. It's a per day charge, regardless of what the rental costs. Renting at a non aiport location always saves a lot of money.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post