SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stepson Moving Back In...Temporarily - UPDATED Page 4
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stepson Moving Back In...Temporarily - UPDATED Page 4 Login/Join 
posted
Apparently my 26 year old stepson's relationship went south and he cannot afford apartment alone so his is moving in for supposedly 2 months to save some $$$$ and find a new apartment.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against helping my kids and I know this has been rough on him however, that said, I am bracing myself for a shit show.

His Mom has coddled him his whole life and I have already received the lecture about being nice to him while he is staying with us. MY reply was that I have zero issue helping him out for TWO months and will not charge him rent (insert seperate arguement here) BUT I have certain expectations:

1) He cleans up after himself

2) He either buys his own food and supplies or replaces what he uses without being told or chased.

3) As he enjoys his pot he needs to understand that there is a zero tolerance drug policy and that extends to him coming home smelling like he spilled out of Cheech and Chongs van.

My wife thinks I am being an asshole (except for number 3) but I am holding my ground. My 16 year old daughter is pissed because it will be awkward for her to have friends over now and this is not fair to her.

I already see the writing on the wall and know this is going to turn into 3-6 months unless I put a boot firmly up his ass.

It's always somehting....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevmo,

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Good luck man.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If he stays longer than "2 months", let him know in no uncertain terms he WILL pay rent to you.

That should do the trick.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
If he stays longer than "2 months", let him know in no uncertain terms he WILL pay rent to you.

This is my plan, shy of putting a whiteboard on his door with a countdown on it!

I have nothing against him but I know he can be very unmotivated unless a fire is under his ass and his mom will not help as she will want to wipe said ass.

I have already told him he needs to get a small storage area for his shit because he is not clogging up my garage

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not disagreeing by any means, but make sure you go about it correctly.

When I was 19, I moved in with my girlfriend and her parents after my parents sent me out on my own. I don't fault them by any means, they both moved out at 18 and made their own way in the world. I unfortunately, making $9/hr in Connecticut, couldn't get a place by myself.

I found myself in a similar scenario, and following essentially the same rules set out by the OP. Drugs were never something I did, but the others apply.

At one point, her father wanted us both to move out. When she refused, he then wanted just me out. Similar timetable, two months rent-free, then paying rent, and I was buying my own food/paying for my car/phone/etc etc.

When he started charging me rent, he charged me a *full* rent. Not a problem, until he started getting more and more pissed that I wasn't moving out.

I had a full sit-down with him, with a copy of my bills, including his rent, and my pay stubs. Because I was paying him full rent, I could never save enough to move out. For some reason that had never occurred to him.

In my case the situation resolved itself when I enlisted, and she proceeded to cheat on me. He cut me a break when I got back so that I could get out on my own.

If you reach the point of charging him rent, my only advice would be either make it full rent with the understanding that he then won't be going anywhere anytime soon, or a partial rent (maybe demand some sort of proof that he is actively looking for a place during that time).

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You might want to check with an attorny about "understood tenancy" between the you and your SIL.

Mnay a good person's home has been turned topsy turvey for the kind act of "helping someone", even for a few days.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
quote:

Not disagreeing by any means, but make sure you go about it correctly.

When I was 19, I moved in with my girlfriend and her parents after my parents sent me out on my own. I don't fault them by any means, they both moved out at 18 and made their own way in the world. I unfortunately, making $9/hr in Connecticut, couldn't get a place by myself.

I found myself in a similar scenario, and following essentially the same rules set out by the OP. Drugs were never something I did, but the others apply.

At one point, her father wanted us both to move out. When she refused, he then wanted just me out. Similar timetable, two months rent-free, then paying rent, and I was buying my own food/paying for my car/phone/etc etc.

When he started charging me rent, he charged me a *full* rent. Not a problem, until he started getting more and more pissed that I wasn't moving out.

I had a full sit-down with him, with a copy of my bills, including his rent, and my pay stubs. Because I was paying him full rent, I could never save enough to move out. For some reason that had never occurred to him.

In my case the situation resolved itself when I enlisted, and she proceeded to cheat on me. He cut me a break when I got back so that I could get out on my own.

If you reach the point of charging him rent, my only advice would be either make it full rent with the understanding that he then won't be going anywhere anytime soon, or a partial rent (maybe demand some sort of proof that he is actively looking for a place during that time).

If it ever came to charging him rent I would either charge him enough to cover room and board just so he knew the free ride was over or, if he behaves like I think he might and starts going out and blowing all his money I would charge a fair market rent but quietly put most of it in a savings account to help him move faster.

The bigger issue is because he had 2 incomes he went out and bought a car that he cab barely afford and opened up a bunch of credit cards. On top of that he and GF are on the hook to pay a lease cancelation fee which she is agreeing to split (for now).

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I feel for you. Sounds like a coming shit storm. I would have a talk with the boss before he moves back, with agreements on expectations and time tables.

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I don't understand a 26 year old man moving back in with his parents rent free.

Fuck that.

At a minimum he'd be charged rent and portion of the utilities / internet bill.

Food would be on him, like all other adults find a way to do.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I've seen this go both ways. Good turn out and bad.

If it was me, and my step kid or real kid, I would make sure they had a job that could cover rent, even if it isn't a pretty rental, so long as its good enough.

Then I would give him first last and security, and instead of moving his stuff home, I would move it right into the rental.

Odds are the first, last, security will be less then what it will cost you in bills, food, and frustration over the next 6 to 12 months if your lucky.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Charge a reasonable rent, from that take out utilities/food/etc. If he was sharing the rent and utilities with his ex, he should be able to pay a similar amount to you.

The rest hold as escrow for his moving out-forced “savings” if you will.

And once he sleeps/resides with you. He is a tenant, officially or not, lease or no lease, paying rent or not. If things go south and he isn’t cooperative, you are facing the same eviction process as an apartment landlord. If he has all the protections of a rental agreement regardless, might as well have one up front to get some protection for yourself as well.

And if you two are prone to arguments and disagreements, DV laws will likely apply.

Expect your wife to take his side as well, basically you are screwed in a no-win situation, best of luck to you.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Why is it odd for the girl? There will be another adult there. So what?

As for the rest, it could be fine or a pain in the ass. It depends on the people involved. You're a better judge of that than us.

Setting out clear expectations whatever they are, and sticking with them is probably a good plan.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Why is it odd for the girl? There will be another adult there. So what?

As for the rest, it could be fine or a pain in the ass. It depends on the people involved. You're a better judge of that than us.

Setting out clear expectations whatever they are, and sticking with them is probably a good plan.

It is difficult for my daughter because they have not really gotten a long in the past few years mostly due to the now ex GF running the boys life and telling him what his thoughts and beliefs should be. MY daughter is a dangerous combination of highly intelligent and headstrong and the boy is rather immature and ignorant in a lot of ways.

I am going to make every effort to keep peace but I have already told the wife what i expect and that it would be much better delivered and received from here than me

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I don't understand a 26 year old man moving back in with his parents rent free.

Fuck that.

Especially one with specific vices. I've never understood shithead people who live paycheck to paycheck or worse but smoke, drink, smoke weed...
It's a shame you can't smack people like that around.

Good luck, Sir. If I were in your shoes I'd take his rent payment(s) and give it back when it's time for him to get the fuck out.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before I let him move in, I would just give him the first 2 or 3 months rent....wave as he leaves.

It can be really hard to get people to leave.

Good Luck

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
I've seen this go both ways. Good turn out and bad.

If it was me, and my step kid or real kid, I would make sure they had a job that could cover rent, even if it isn't a pretty rental, so long as its good enough.

Then I would give him first last and security, and instead of moving his stuff home, I would move it right into the rental.

Odds are the first, last, security will be less then what it will cost you in bills, food, and frustration over the next 6 to 12 months if your lucky.

I like this approach better. Give him the money to start off renting a room, or split apartment with Buddy. It's no different then having him move in and save money to him, for you it saves fights with wife and headaches.

Kids don't like moving out of free rent.

There are plenty of others in same boat looking for a roommate.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Give him the address of the nearest armed forces recruiter.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Give him the address of the nearest armed forces recruiter.

Not if he can't pass a drug screen.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he can't pay his bills, he cannot afford pot. Nor can he afford to be arrested for pot. Drug test. Fail equal eviction.

Let it be his choice of weed over room and board. He will pick weed

But you are soooo screwed. Sorry for your luck.

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So what you are saying is she was footing the rent bill and she got tired of his ass mooching???

If he was putting up his fair share he could easily find a roommate like the vast majority of other folks I know this age.

Being that he is a known drug user I would have serious apprehensions about this. Especially with a 16 year old girl in the house. The last thing you need are his dopehead buddies around.

I feel for you and I hope we don't have a new thread in 2 months about him not being out.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post