SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People Getting Ready to Leave - And Taking Forever
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People Getting Ready to Leave - And Taking Forever Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I used to have this issue with my wife in our earlier years together. My solution was to tell her "When I see you head out the door, I know we're ready to leave." She pruned-up a bit at being called out on it, but she knew I was right.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
My wife comes from a very large family of siblings and cousins. When it's 'time to go', she feels it necessary to say a long goodbye with a hug and kiss to each one, plus their spouses and their children. This after she's spent several hours with them already.

I don't get up from sitting until she's done, maybe an hour later if I'm lucky. We're over 100 miles from her family (at least those in metro Phoenix) now, which is still to close.

We must be related!

My wife comes from a large family too and each family gathering has a similar goodbye ritual. For any family member who lives in more than a couple of hours away, the goodbye ritual must also include a discussion of 'how nice it was to see you' and 'when are you going to come visit?'.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's a lose/lose scenario - either you wait and wait and wait or if you are one minute late or delay for any reason when she is ready - YOU ARE LATE > all your fault. Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
My wife had an uncle who, when the goodbyes started to drag on, would say to his wife, "Dear, we need to go to bed so these good folks can get home." Apparently, it worked like a charm.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I sometimes lie and say that an event is earlier than it really is, so we can be there on time.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I tend to not bother getting ready for about 30 minutes after the gf showers. Depending on who we are going to see this is a blessing since some of her family can annoy me, and I hate two of her friends that we see often. I've even said things like, I just checked the weather and it's supposed to warm up now (when she was dressed for cooler weather) so she will go and change and take longer.

As for leaving to go home, she is oddly good about it. If either of us says let's go, then we get up and go. But the getting ready at home part is the issue.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Wife's family is Italian, they have mastered this art. Not only will it be the longest goodbye ever, but you WILL end up with food, some trinket and if you don't keep your fricken car locked some random piece of furniture.

My only option when any of them were leaving our house was to say goodbye the first three times, then wander off. Generally nobody notice, unless I was needed to load up some piece of furniture we were passing on...... Roll Eyes

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
My wife is very good at leaving parties. We often make eye contact, give each other the nod, then sneak out. Getting to the party is a different story....

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Around our place we call it a "Southern Goodbye," but it sounds like it's universal.

Of course, we also have the "Leave Three Times" theorem, under which the first and second time we are all in the vehicle won't count, because:

1) she left the curling iron on
2) she left the straightener on
3) did we turn off the stovetop?
4) the back door is unlocked
5) we didn't close the pantry door (dog is a straight up pantry thug)
6) she forgot the tickets
7) she forgot a bag/luggage/part of brain

So I return to car after going in the first time and get to hear her say "Oh, I'm sorry, but could you also check [FITB]?"

Then we leave, unless it's the 3rd full moon after the winter solstice, in which case the Leave Four Times theorem comes into play....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve witnessed this all of my life. Somehow each goodbye provokes another conversation. From saying “we need to go” to the final goodbye can be anywhere from 30min to one hour. I’ve literally had to drag my wife away from her family because they just won’t stop talking.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I have a friend whose husband will tell her they need to get going a few times, then after she continues talking he finally picks her up and carries her to the car while she waves goodbye to us over his shoulder. Big Grin

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I just got back from visiting family in Michigan.

Leaving went like this:

"Well, it's time I hit the road."

Hug brother.

Hug sister-in-law.

Walk out the door, start the truck, hit the road.

Elapsed time: Under 1 minute...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

This was a no-wife trip, wasn't it?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30547 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

This was a no-wife trip, wasn't it?

Yep, had to be wifeless. No other explanation would make sense. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it was. The silence was wonderful!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I had a person that bummed a ride to work with me and was never on time. It got annoying so I started to charge him per trip since he only went in to work several times a week.

Finally, I told him I would only wait until a certain time and if he wasn't there by then, I would leave without him. After the first time I left without him, he was on time or early from then on. Big Grin I think he was afraid to drive due to his age and at time seemed to be fog bound and sleepy. Sometimes, he would sleep during the drive to work which was about 30 minutes.

He had a PHD in electrical engineering but didn't seem to have any experience applicable to what we were working on. He was a professor at George Washington University and very liberal. Some of our discussions on the way to work made me laugh at times.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, it was. The silence was wonderful!
My hearing aids have a spouse setting. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30547 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post