SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Long YouTube intros
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long YouTube intros Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Do people really want to watch 30-second intros with heavy metal music playing in the background? Not me. I just want to watch the video.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Concur.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's annoying. Most especially annoying when the video itself is relatively short.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Equally annoying for me is the guy who comes on the screen and spends an excessive amount of time describing what he is going to show.

How 'bout we just get right down to brass tacks?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I thumbs down and let them know the music sucks and I stopped the instant it started every time.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
One of the advantages of youtube videos is that you can skip ahead by just clicking on the progress bar. That's what I do.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Thankfully, a few of my favorite Youtube channels have gotten the hint and dropped their intros.

Forgotten Weapons, for one. His early videos had that cheesy 30-second intro, with acoustic guitar music playing over fast-cuts of Ian shooting various guns.

Netflix figured it out a year or so back, when they introduced their "Skip Intro" button, which was a great addition. Long show intros are fine when you're watching one episode a week on TV, but quickly get tiresome when you're watching several episodes back-to-back online.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Netflix figured it out a year or so back, when they introduced their "Skip Intro" button, which was a great addition. Long show intros are fine when you're watching one episode a week on TV, but quickly get tiresome when you're watching several episodes back-to-back online.

Indeed!

And I have yet to watch a Ewe Toob Video where the music didn't annoy the shit out of me. If I wanted to watch a music video, I'd SEARCH for music videos!

This is especially aggravating when the topic of the video is a car, bike or other device with an internal combustion engine. I want to hear that sumbitch TALK to me, not some cheesy music!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
You can bypass the beginning of YouTube videos by adding "#t=N" where N is the number of seconds into the video you want it to start.

For example, if you have a Youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKxukcqPGQA

You can skip 30 seconds into it by adding #t=30"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKxukcqPGQA#t=30

(You'll still be subjected to ads, but that's how they make their money).

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Duke of Detroit
posted Hide Post
Another thing about You Tube videos are the computer voices doing the talking instead of a human. Are you too damn lazy? or you have a lousy voice? Hire a damn human! Mad

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas

Posts: 1047 | Location: Detroit, MICHIGAN | Registered: May 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Wonderful:
Another thing about You Tube videos are the computer voices doing the talking instead of a human. Are you too damn lazy? or you have a lousy voice? Hire a damn human! Mad

Those damn computER! VOI!ces drive me nuts.

Posts: 7351 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was shocked tonight to discover, purely by accident, you understand, that there are multiple videos by and about Nina Hartley on YouTube. There goes doing anything productive tomorrow.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
^ I actually liked watching Belladonna's YouTube videos. A pretty cool glimpse at her personal life.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Wonderful:

Those damn computER! VOI!ces drive me nuts.

Many of these videos are revenue generators.

Algorithms are used to determine what topics are "trending" and then the voice scripts are applied and the videos posted, and the "hits" pay out.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I find it's highly dependent on the video. If it's an hour video with interesting content I might look past it, but something under 10 minutes? Nope, I'm out.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
How about moving the play "ball" forward just a little? Problem solved. Gee, guys, the damn thing is free.

Now, if you complain about the USPS, that's legit. So, stop whining. Razz

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Also, WHY must there be music at all when demonstrating a how to. Just do it. No heavy metal needed. Or, for demos of metric system type mechanics, techno-pop.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Folks trying to generate revenue increase their rate with more length. Agree, it's BS.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I think revenue is based off number of views only and not length of content.

posted Hide Post
It takes time, effort and thought to create videos, even crappy ones. I know, because I've made more than my share of videos of dubious worth. It's a learning process.

Many of us don't make a penny, now that YouTube has imposed new subscriber requirements.

I do pay attention to the feedback I receive. I will also try to refrain from adding my intro, from here on out...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BsrEp9PVEf8&t=29s

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post