SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I'm becoming old and frail
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm becoming old and frail Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’m in my sixties and have more metal in me than a scrap yard. Right hip replaced, 13 screws and 2 plates to repair a shattered left elbow and one nice new Boston Scientific pacemaker. That being said I feel like I’m 40.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
36 eh?

Do you stretch? You need to stretch. You need to do a number of things, including realizing your body is changing.

Through 25 it's gangbusters, through 30 it's a party. Right up to 35 it's full steam ahead. After that, you need to work it to not lose it.

Strength and flexibility. Hopefully you haven't been injured, if you have, you need to work more on flexibility than strength.

There is no going back, but you can't stay still either.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
36 eh?

Do you stretch? You need to stretch. You need to do a number of things, including realizing your body is changing.

Through 25 it's gangbusters, through 30 it's a party. Right up to 35 it's full steam ahead. After that, you need to work it to not lose it.

Strength and flexibility. Hopefully you haven't been injured, if you have, you need to work more on flexibility than strength.

There is no going back, but you can't stay still either.

Quite right - I'm fortunate to have not suffered any sort of debilitating injury. Starting a few years ago I took up running, and I've since added crossfit-style workout routines that are more geared towards cardio, range of motion, and flexibility than raw weight lifting/strength-training. This routine includes lots of core stretching. It's helped my once usual back soreness immensely.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arc is right. Start with stretches and work out a physical fitness plan. I'm getting back into mine after an absence of a year or so. I walked more than 11000 steps yesterday, but sounded like a bowl of Rice Krispies getting out of bed this morning.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I used to laugh when my dad would sneeze and say “ouch” after. Im now 31 and say “ouch” (among other words) after i sneeze. That shit hurts!

Hope you don't have heart surgery but if you do, beware the sneeze. They give you those cute pillows to clutch to your chest, when you cough but no one warns you of the sneeze. With a cough, you have time to prepare, not so with the sneeze. All of a sudden, you feel a sneeze building and you begin frantically looking around, " the pillow ! Where's the goddam pillow?" Invariably, it's across the room. Too late!! Damn that hurt !!

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
<Walter Brennan>Yep, yep.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been caring for an elderly lady for 3 weeks now , staying at her home, the bed , that I am using SUCKs !

and its taking its toll, I feel like I am 100,
back aches, hips ache,
I am going to call it quits here pretty soon.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I forgot what I was going to say.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Last spring I caught the cold/flu something that laid me up for a week. I coughed so hard I thought I cracked a rib. Not kidding, very painful just breathing hard. Took a good two months to heal up.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
You probably did.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I had a hard sneeze that hurt a rib, sitting at the perfect angle, but that was a few years ago, that shidt hurts when you sneeze again, and have allergies acting up...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 72, had a couple of different cancers, still have one, had open heart surgery a year ago, been in Afib 8 years now, but I'm feeling pretty darned good.

I think the main complaint, and it seems to be with me all the time, is the arthritis in my hands causes my hands to hurt.

Just picked up a new to me Ruger stainless Commander 45 and I'm planning to shoot it pretty soon. I know that the pain afterwards will irritate the heck out of me, especially when it wakes me up at night.

Because of the blood thinners I take for the
Afib (Pradaxa), I can't take ibuprofen, so I'm kinda limited to Tylenol for the pain and it doesn't really cut it.

But, having lost three close friends over the summer, all very unexpectedly, I am quite happy to still be here with my wife and dog.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

I had a hard sneeze that hurt a rib, sitting at the perfect angle, but that was a few years ago, that shidt hurts when you sneeze again
I have had a couple of bouts of costochondritis.

Usually lasts for a week, maybe two.

Sneezing hurts. Coughing hurts. Even plain old breathing can hurt.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Truth
Picture of Luis
posted Hide Post
Me too, ShneaSIG. Don't worry about it. Eat well and exercise. Just keep your body moving. Get a part time job... anything to keep moving. See the doc regularly. All will be ok.

Posts: 4328 | Location: A hop, skip and a jump from the bayou. S East Tx, USA | Registered: October 13, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post