SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I'm becoming old and frail
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm becoming old and frail Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted
Evidently, I must have the body of a 100+ year old. I've been fighting a cold, and I had a coughing spell this mourning. No big deal, right? Except, during one of those hacks, I threw out my lower back. How in the heck does that happen? I am now, basically, moving around like Frankenstein.

When did 36 become the new 106? I won't be mad, I just want to know.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Could have been worse... you could have lost minor control of certain bodily functions and had to change your underwear.

I feel your pain as I have been there.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
36, just wait, it gets worse.

Threw mine out tying my friggen shoes one morning.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
36, just wait, it gets worse.

Threw mine out tying my friggen shoes one morning.

Twice I threw my back out. Once, while bending over to tie my shoes, and I sneezed.

Other time, while walking, I was watching a girl with big ()() running to catch a bus and I stepped off a curb without looking.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Wait until you get to your mid 60's. That's when I started feeling my age and having things breakdown for no apparent reason.
Sounds like you've got a lot to look forward to.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
When you wake up after a good nights sleep and have more aches and pains that when you went to sleep....you're getting old.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Evidently, I must have the body of a 100+ year old. I've been fighting a cold, and I had a coughing spell this mourning. No big deal, right? Except, during one of those hacks, I threw out my lower back. How in the heck does that happen?

Sudden, violent stress on the lower back. Read years ago it is not uncommon for people to "throw their backs out" when sneezing violently.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm not immune to age-related issues, but for the most part, I try to keep myself limber. I run 4x week, stretch, see a chiropractor, and watch my food/weight.

I've recently developed some arthritis in my back and shoulder (I already had some in my right hand ring finger, but the back/shoulder thing got me overnight!).

It's my personal objective to stay active as long as I live, or at least as long as I can. I simply cannot abide the thought of being old, sedentary, and decrepit. Good luck to you. You've got a long way to go still.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club my friend. Smile

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Good luck with that. I got that shitshow about a month ago. Still fighting it, hacking and tired.

Turned into walking pneumonia. Antibiotics and steroids. Not fun. Not at all.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've only got about a year on you, but I can confirm that the exact same thing happened to me this past year.

My grandfather used to say "getting old isn't for pussies." Big Grin

Less fun than that was racing and doing a classic lunge to catch the cat who escaped and was trying to run under the porch a few years ago and feeling a distinct pop in my right hip socket just as I snagged the sumbitch. Walking, sitting down, sleeping, or changing positions between any of those was incredibly dicey for about six months.

I hope you feel better soon, and you surely aren't alone. There's a helluva big difference between 26 and 36, eh? Smile

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
So here I am in my electric recliner, the one with lift and eject, watching with amusement. Parked right in front of me is my 99 YO mothers electric gogo cart. Even it needed new batteries. I sprained my ankle really badly 2 weeks ago. Not good yet. Used to be a twist or a spring was enough to put me out of action for a week or so. Not this cycle.

I was just at the point where I was going to sell the cart because it was just taking up room. Not now. It stays. I've learned the fine art of driving in the house. So the thing to learn is that it happens more frequently and doesn't heal nearly as fast.

In my 30s I learned to stop riding off road motorcycles because limping into work each Monday was a real pain. Now I've given up work. And I can't limp because the pain just to much. But hang around. The alternative is to die. The fun isn't over yet.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Good luck with that. I got that shitshow about a month ago. Still fighting it, hacking and tired.

Turned into walking pneumonia. Antibiotics and steroids. Not fun. Not at all.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, Artie. Hope you feel better soon, too. I've had walking pneumonia twice, myself. It's no joke, for sure.

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

I've only got about a year on you, but I can confirm that the exact same thing happened to me this past year.

My grandfather used to say "getting old isn't for pussies." Big Grin

Less fun than that was racing and doing a classic lunge to catch the cat who escaped and was trying to run under the porch a few years ago and feeling a distinct pop in my right hip socket just as I snagged the sumbitch. Walking, sitting down, sleeping, or changing positions between any of those was incredibly dicey for about six months.

I hope you feel better soon, and you surely aren't alone. There's a helluva big difference between 26 and 36, eh? Smile

Oh, 26 seems like a dream, now... I can almost, almost imagine it...

And, thank you for all the well-wishes, everyone. I'm becoming good friends with the heating pad, and I'll take some more advil. This stinks!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
36, did you say 36?? Welcome to double that plus 5. "Well, we can't put in stents but we found out why going up stairs bothers you so much. Your main coronary artery is completely blocked. Sign here and we'll fix it but your chest is going to be numb for six months or more."
Three months later. "You look really good for someone, who just had heart surgery. Oh, that belly pain and your skin turning the color of a banana, that's your gallbladder. We can take that out." So here I sit. Remember those photos from the old west of the unsuccessful bank robbers propped up in coffins with their chests shot full of holes, that's what I look like. 36 indeed. That part about not being for sissies is an understatement.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I used to laugh when my dad would sneeze and say “ouch” after. Im now 31 and say “ouch” (among other words) after i sneeze. That shit hurts!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just sneezed a few minutes ago and my back popped about 3-4 times.
Happens pretty regularly. Most of the time it makes things feel better.

Having and living with a bad back is no fun!

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

Other time, while walking, I was watching a girl with big ()() running to catch a bus and I stepped off a curb without looking.

Did ya learn anything?

Answer: yep, sometimes you're gonna throw your back out. It's just part of life. Big Grin

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Did the same thing several years ago,Could not sit upright for more than fifteen minutes or so due to the pain. I could only stand or lay down for about a week and a half after that.

Adding to it, one of my cousins died two days after I pulled whatever muscle in my back. Funeral was in northern Michigan, about 160 miles away. Add a snowstorm that was correctly forecast for the day of the services made me a no show.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I will say this as a pro tip: if you’re having a sneezing or coughing fit, do not try to bend over to pick something up in the middle of it. I’ve gotten myself twice that way. Should have learned the first time, but I definitely got the point the second time.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 43. Everything goes downhill after 35, every year you gain 5lbs, and something else hurts...….or doesn't work as well.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post