SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Inner and Outer rocker panel replacement - ouch!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inner and Outer rocker panel replacement - ouch! Login/Join 
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted
Bad news from my body shop today...

Sent my 2006 Ram into the body shop to get the outer rocker panels replaced because they were rusting out. I didn't think they were that bad, but seeing the pictures after they cut the outer panels out, the inners need to be replaced too.

I should have taken care of this a couple years ago, but I didn't have the cushion in my bank account.

Still cheaper than a new truck, but dang it's going to sting my pocket book. Frown

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity what was the original estimate for the rocker replacement? I'm going to need some rockers replaced at some point, so I'm looking for a ballpark cost.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Well... For my Dodge quad cab, the body shop guys I trust said that they've only had good luck with a specific brand of rocker panel replacement (that was more $ than the cheapos). They're also addressing a bit of rust on the sides of the box just behind the cab and a spot on the tailgate.

Original estimate was $3500, now it's likely going to go to $4300 with the inners.

He did say he could do it for less if I was going to just trade it off, but since I'm keeping it, I wanted it done right.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Who's doing the work? You never know I might need some panel work in the future.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Who's doing the work? You never know I might need some panel work in the future.

Sent you an email w/ their contact information.

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Yep. Had my 2004 Cummins 3500 up in Lakewood/Jamestown NY for about five years.
Sigh. Driver's side lower panel, bed fender flares- the usual
It was bad enough there with the 10-month winter and salt, salt, salt but what most people don't realize is that most of the car washes recycle water. (They claim it is "filtered", eyeroll).
Know what that means?

Even IF they even have the most expensive purification systems, reverse osmosis is generally only used in the final rinse, to make sure that the car will dry without spots.
Reverse osmosis is usually not used for undercarriage washing.

Wish I had realized that earlier-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
Well... For my Dodge quad cab, the body shop guys I trust said that they've only had good luck with a specific brand of rocker panel replacement (that was more $ than the cheapos). They're also addressing a bit of rust on the sides of the box just behind the cab and a spot on the tailgate.

Original estimate was $3500, now it's likely going to go to $4300 with the inners.

He did say he could do it for less if I was going to just trade it off, but since I'm keeping it, I wanted it done right.

Perfect, thanks. My truck is a little older and I plan on keeping it, so I would want it done right too.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
It could be worse...

You could have bought a Toyota and the frame would rust out before the rocker panels.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Not knowing the specifics, I have to ask if it's worth putting that much money in a 14YO truck?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I just had full rockers and cab corners done right as well. Not the slip on style. Had them fully coated with bed liner then painted. The lower portions show the texture when you get up close but now these should last forever.
$4500 was what Chevy wanted for the job have a family member that is a body guy and was able to do it for $2500 thankfully. Parts and material were just shy of 1k.

I just rolled 100k on the 2000 Silverado so she has tons of life left. Still have some rust to handle but mostly under the truck. No more rust on any panels thankfully.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
It could be worse...

Eek Thankfully the frame isn't bad. I did have a buddy with a 4 Runner that had a frame so rotten that it had to be sold for scrap.

quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Not knowing the specifics, I have to ask if it's worth putting that much money in a 14YO truck?

In my mind, it is Big Grin - plus this one has been paid off for a long time. 2006 was the last full year they had the 5.9 Cummins. A quick look at the few in that age range and similar mileage that are available for sale around here asking prices are ludicrous (22K and over).