SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Anyone else done paying inflated gun/ammo prices?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else done paying inflated gun/ammo prices? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
If I could walk up to my hardware store manager,here in tiny town and
Purchase the L.M.T. rifle,the Noveske rifle, the colt rifle the Ruger 1911, the five glocks and a Benelli M4 , that I want

I'd gladly give him an extra $559.00 over what I am seeing on the internet, price wise

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Jusf got a couple cartons at the front door.

Smile

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
After the election and a few months, it all comes back, including normal prices.

If Trump gets re-elected it will take close to a year to get back to where we were price-wise. If Biden wins, all bets are off. Anyone tried to buy any hunting ammo lately? When .30-06 and .270 are scarce, you know that there is trouble in the supply chain.

People in the ammo industry concur w/ this prognosis. Plus, if Trump is re-elected, you can expect protests, riots, & civil unrest through at least inauguration day. Do you think that's going to drive demand & prices for guns & ammo up or down?

Nine months into 2020, we already broke the record for NICS checks in a calendar year. I'm betting there will be one more mad rush on G&A before year's end.

I'm on the phone 9 hours a day with dealers from Maine to Alaska, this isn't going away anytime soon.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Look, the libs/lefties would be happy if we had absolutely no gun or ammo sales. Inflated prices only work to lower them, their goals. You should have listened to Para and his religion of buy cheap, stack deep. You didn't. Now you're whining because you don't have as much ammo or as many guns as you want. You're earlier inaction has resulted in this unhappiness. Starting to see who's fault it really is?

I'm a poor hillbilly. I live in a state where we hate government. Or at least I do. But I've discovered I can't buy new guns from my neighbor, or new ammo except at inflated prices at gun shows. I have no idea how old you are or how much ammo you require. You need to figure that out. Then not shoot up all your ammo.

I'll let you in on a secret. I have too much ammo. Yep. As in way to much. But I'm happy with it. I've broken it down into two problems. I realize that most new guns aren't as good as some older ones. I don't lust after junk handguns. I only buy great quality guns that will last as long as I will last. Hint: S&W and Sig. I don't really need the few dozen or so that I have. Some of them are getting a bit old, like my P210s that were made maybe 50 years ago. And I bet I can't wear them out in the few remaining years I've got.

Long guns last a real long time. Rifles and shotguns don't get used all that much. Never have been able to wear out prewar Winchester M70 s or M21s. Browning's last about forever, too.

Buy quality, not HiPoints.

Ammo is much easier. Buy components and only a little factory ammo. Then don't shoot up the factory ammo. Its not as good anyway. Don't buy during ammo shortages, buy when its cheap and plentiful. Start attending the church of Para. Your formal religion will begrudge the money you give the component makers, so don't tell them. Learn to forecast shortages. Its easy. Every 4 years the commies try to take over our fine country. If someone here had the data, you could probably graph the prices. Every presidential election year, the commies try to take over. Keep track of your ammo dump. Graph it. Then overlay ammo prices. You'll see a funny thing take place. Everyone else is buying based on time (like every 4 years). Not on price. That goes up every 2 years, too.

We shoot for fun. It doesn't follow election cycles. Cut back on your usage during the run-up to election day. At the same time, keep buying as much or even more. It results in problems with storage, but you can solve it if you try. We're not allowed to shoot democrats, but we should be able to. They are the real enemy, so stop helping them. Never help anyone with a democratic sticker on their car. Its aiding and abetting the enemy.

Learn to reload. You can reload about anything but rimfire. Shoot that less and learn to make your shots count. Buy in bulk, both ammo and components.

The real problem is complaining about it and not doing anything. Make sure the new girl you're dating comes from a gun family. No reason to marry into anti gun family. If the girl or her father doesn't have a gun company sticker on his pickup truck, its a strong hint. If he doesn't have a truck, she's a poor prospect.

Families often meet the new date in the living room. Some are cleaning their guns when you arrive. They do that to scare off pussy's that don't have or know about firearms. So meet them and talk about guns for a half hour or so. You'll then pass the first boyfriend test with dad. Don't pay a lot of attention to brothers, they're probably idiots anyhow. Big Grin

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I bought 2 boxes 9mm 147 gr Defender ammo @ $29.99 ea, and 1 box Cor Bon 32ACP @$19.99 at a local gunshop Thursday.

6 months ago, the same 9mm ammo was priced $22 at the same gunshop.

No 40SW , which is what I was looking for.

I sadly however, have a fixed budget for ammo, tied in to a fixed income. I have to buy when I can afford it. But I don't shoot as much as I used to either.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Put out of your mind any notion that prices or availability will get better - this is only the beginning of a long painful spiral.

Short term - this is a great time to buy stock in companies that manufacture firearms and ammo.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Well, fuck it then.

Pretty much sums up how I feel in general.

Maybe it will be liberating getting rid of all my shooting related crap and moving on to other hobbies...or none at all. It isn't like I've been able to enjoy any of it much in the last decade or so anyway.

Now before any of you get froggy about me giving you my stuff, I'll have you know I'll be solidly in the highway robbery camp just as much as everyone else. Step right up, get your 25 year old boxes of Blazer .22 for $30.00/50rds. Stored in surplus wooden ammo crates, and in a climate controlled environment free from the light of day. Supplies are limited, hurry or you'll miss out!

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Its going to be hard for Y'all to believe, but even I have some morals. Well, not a lot, but some. There was a time, maybe 12 years ago (12 is a multiple of 4) that I got mad and sold off a bunch of my 22 ammo. Yep, 25,000 rounds, or 5 cases of 22s. Foolishly, I didn't make a big "profit", and I don't care. I only kept 5,000 of the Federals, which I rated just above junk. Oh, and some CCIs. Most of a case. Well, and some assorted 22s I thought were more trouble than they were worth. But I kept all the 9mms that I reloaded back when Slick was elected. I went into a reloading frenzy. Back then I had trouble finding bullets. That was maybe 1992. This isn't a new thing at all.

Those who think it is new, you have a very poor memory. Guess its time I try to find a way to make my little gun closet more reloading friendly. This may not be the end of the world. I fully expect the dirty democrats to get unelected in 2 years. Biden to die of old age in less than 4. His commie BJ artist to not get re-elected. So I need a crystal ball, but not really. In 4 years, this whole shit show will take place again. Biden can probably last 4 more, but even the inner city hoards will get tired of the rioting and such.

Keep track of history. At the 2 year mark, the Dirty Dems will loose the House with any luck at all. And a few Senate seats. Prices will again sky-rocket so you better get your fill before then.

The OP here says he's done paying inflated prices. He has no choice except to stop buying all together. Maybe he can find a bargain or two at a gun show. Big Grin I'd bet he can turn a nice profit on his gun stuff! He won't need it because all will be nice and peaceful into the future. Remember, Democrats don't riot, loot or burn. Its all those uncivilized Republicans that pull that crap. In all fairness, I don't want to shoot them around here. They smell after a few days to weeks. Just a few dozen of them piled up around my outer wire would be ugly to say the least.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

The OP here says he's done paying inflated prices. He has no choice except to stop buying all together.

I have. Prices and availability will become reasonable again and that's when I'll be buying. One has to take a stand sometime, even if it is only with their wallet.

Maybe he can find a bargain or two at a gun show. Big Grin

Haven't been to one in 20 years or more. They got exceedingly boring to me back then and so I stopped going. Am I missing titties and beer now or something?

I'd bet he can turn a nice profit on his gun stuff!

Would certainly hope so, but just running a thought experiment and making light of a shitty situation for now.

He won't need it because all will be nice and peaceful into the future.

Not worried about violence anymore than usual here. Also my best years are long gone (if I really face reality about it), so not as much to lose anymore if neo-hippies decide to mass murder in suburbia where most Americans don't realize there is a state.

Remember, Democrats don't riot, loot or burn. Its all those uncivilized Republicans that pull that crap.

Perhaps we should start? Bet we could pull ahead in numbers pretty quick if we did. Nah, we'll just take it until we all get Alzheimer's and forget all about this crap.

In all fairness, I don't want to shoot them around here. They smell after a few days to weeks. Just a few dozen of them piled up around my outer wire would be ugly to say the least.

Regardless, it would be a good start. I hear anything burns if you use enough diesel on it.

Smile

I get what you're saying, all of it, but it's OK if I post my frustrations in the "Pitch your bitch" section isn't it?

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned my lesson right after the Sandy Hook school shooting in 2012 . My ammo supply was way down and there was nothing I could do until it all blew over which took a while . Never again . I even have a new in the box AR15 in the gun safe that I bought just to flip and double my money the next time things go shitty .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then don't shoot up the factory ammo. Its not as good anyway.

I disagree for the most part, and for most shooters. FMJ training ammo for handguns won't be much different. Accuracy for FMJ bullets isn't great, whether loaded by hand or by high-volume factory machines. The hand loader can use better powders -- ones that aren't so dirty. For pistols, the hand loader can use high-quality bullets that fly well for competition -- something that is hard to find from factories. Defensive ammo can be quite good from the factory.

Buddies who loaded shot shells for clays competitions stated that they couldn't beat the quality of Remington STS loads. They could match the STS quality if they were careful, and they saved a little in cost if they didn't consider the value of their personal time.

Rifle ammo is where the hand loader can make a quality difference. As long as the shooter is capable of exploiting the improved accuracy of really well made rifle ammo that is tuned to a specific gun. However, I don't feel all that many people have the shooting skills to exploiting the accuracy improvement.

My competition ARs are capable of 1/2 MOA accuracy, at extended distances, with the factory ammo that the rifle prefers. That's the same level of accuracy obtained by peers who handload.

My bolt action competition rifles are capable of 3/8 MOA accuracy, at extended distances, with the factory ammo that the rifle prefers. Peers can produce ammo with accuracy of 1/4 MOA or less. Most shooters cannot capitalize on this accuracy difference, although some of us should gain a point here and there in matches with the uber-accurate ammo. Now at Extended Long Range distances of well over 1,000 yards, the handloader has a distinct advantage over factory ammo. Not all that many people shoot ELR.

quote:
Don't buy during ammo shortages, buy when its cheap and plentiful.
We shoot for fun. It doesn't follow election cycles. Cut back on your usage during the run-up to election day.

Shooters should definitely buy as much as practical when prices are favorable, in order to better ride out the cycles of higher prices.

If one decides to compete, there really isn't a down time where we can stop shooting for extended periods. Shooting is a perishable skill. Dry firing helps, and it doesn't require ammo. Wind reading skills require live ammo, as does recoil management. Thus, we continue to consume ammo. Sooner or later it has to be replaced. Sometimes, even with the best of planning, some ammo or components must be purchased at prices that aren't optimal.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
When I turned 40, 7 years ago my present to myself was a Dillon 550. That's fine for pistol and .223. I've since acquired 2 Redding presses for rifle stuff. I spent a few years collecting components. My biggest problem is finding time to shoot. I have 2 boys, ages 8 & 9. Unfortunately they can't go to the range I frequent until they are old enough to have a hunters safety card (a process that was implemented after someone accidentally shot themselves several years ago). At this point it's not too far off.

Sometimes when I go down to my reloading room I will question why I need 35,000 small pistol primers. Do I really need 20,000 small rifle primers? I also question why I need 90 lbs of powder (alot of CFE-223, H-335 and WSF, plus smaller amounts of IMR4350, Unique and Accurate #7).

I may be busy with camping, Cub Scouts and other non-shooting activities, but my boys are getting older, and the day will come when they can join me in going to the range. I will then have a solid answer to my above questions. Yes, yes I do need all those components.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel I have too much, I just listed it on my local gun board. Listed it for over 10% less than the worst stuff avail on ammoseek. (ie, Steel case Tula is @.60/round on Ammoseek. I listed my Winchester Nato 124 P+ brass cased for .50/round.

Was looking at some of the prices I'd paid, I'd loaded up the last shortage and paid too much then on some of it.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Stopped by FGE in Ormond this weekend, they have ammo and guns.

Reason is, 9mm box is $39 for 50

Found the P17 Kel-Tec I'd like, two of them,
priced at $349 for a suggested $199 retail MSRP.

CP33 at $495, so that's a bit under MSRP, just depends on the gun.

Naw let the noobs pay those prices, There were a few guns not way over, but no deals and no good ammo prices...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I bought 900 rds of reloaded 9mm and .45ACP last week for $440. Today I bought a Glock 43x from a LGS, which entitled me to a box of 9mm for $12.50, which I gladly took. I was pretty well stocked before the panic, but at this point, you gotta buy whatever is available. Pistol primers are now unobtanium, just when it was becoming cost-effective to reload 9mm.

Posts: 3493 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Was reading an article today and it had links on the side that all said "in stock now" with a button for each caliber. Clicked on 9mm. They wanted $86 (shipping included) for a box of 50 gold dots. I thought for a second and then closed that web page. Decided, at that price, I have enough in the closet for now...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to the range tomorrow . I'll bring one box of 9mm and a whole buttload of .22 . I'm well stocked on .22 and enjoy just getting out anyway .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
PRAY for the orange man. Otherwise you really think right now is bad? Sleepy Joe is the end of the gun hobby reality as you know it.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone must think they found a gold mine.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4440067674

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Someone must think they found a gold mine.

That is not the highest price I've seen.

And as for the profit he's making on the deal, I can't seem to find anything in that ad that says how much he originally paid for the ammunition that he's trying to sell now. Do you have that information?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post