SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Anyone else done paying inflated gun/ammo prices?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else done paying inflated gun/ammo prices? Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
After the election and a few months, it all comes back, including normal prices.

If Trump gets re-elected it will take close to a year to get back to where we were price-wise. If Biden wins, all bets are off. Anyone tried to buy any hunting ammo lately? When .30-06 and .270 are scarce, you know that there is trouble in the supply chain.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took Para's advice.

So I don't pay inflated prices.

And I keep shooting the same amount.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
I have tens of thousands of rounds of experience using the small rifle primers in pistol cartridges.

I thought that they might be too hard to ignite in a pistol. What gun(s) do you use them in?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
This one. In the last photo you can see why this one runs at high pressure, the projectile barely leave the case mouth before the "popple holes" are venting gas. I won't tell you how many grains of V V 3N38 it uses, but when rotating the shell plate in a progressive press, care must be used as to not "slop" powder out of powder charged cases.
Automatic indexing is disabled when loading this cartridge.
It is a compressed powder charge. The only brass that will stand up to the pressure is Lapua.
Not one failure to fire ever using Winchester Small Rifle primers.
The trigger pull is 2.5 pounds and like a glass rod. It's not like it has a extra power mainspring in it.

DSC00734 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

DSC00735 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

DSC00737 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not bought ammo since April.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I stocked up a long time ago, pre NY Safe Act. Won't have to buy ammo for quite a while. I am fortunate I was able to invest to protect my habit. Turned out to be a solid move. There was a thread here not long ago that made me realize you can never have too much ammo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
After the election and a few months, it all comes back, including normal prices.

If Trump gets re-elected it will take close to a year to get back to where we were price-wise. If Biden wins, all bets are off. Anyone tried to buy any hunting ammo lately? When .30-06 and .270 are scarce, you know that there is trouble in the supply chain.

People in the ammo industry concur w/ this prognosis. Plus, if Trump is re-elected, you can expect protests, riots, & civil unrest through at least inauguration day. Do you think that's going to drive demand & prices for guns & ammo up or down?

Nine months into 2020, we already broke the record for NICS checks in a calendar year. I'm betting there will be one more mad rush on G&A before year's end.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've been OK on components since the last shortage.

And I stocked up on 9 and .45 months back when wal-mart put all the pistol ammo on closeout.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owe this place a huge thanks. Before I had a couple hundred rounds here and there. Now I have more than I need. I don’t want to shoot it up because of prices now but I force myself to. I finally got above above 100 AR 15 mags. I broke the bottom shelf holding 5.56 and .308 Ammo. Life is good thanks Sigforum!

Posts: 1740 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Prior to the riots is what I meant. We'd finally gotten past the drought from 2016ish, around here anyway, and ammo was not nearly as big a deal...for a while. I mean it was possible to find stuff and you'd say "oh yeah, I should buy some of that now".
I get what you guys are saying though. Maybe I'm filling in gaps of my memory too fondly.

And no, this isn't my first time seeing stuff disappear for far too long. It's just past time for me to feel the FOMO like I used to I guess.

that's more than a few weeks ago,,,,,

FWIW, ammo prices have gone up for the retailes, as in wholesale cost is up,
I know once small shop that increased the retail price only to keep their margin the same,

gunshow sellers,, off the chain high prices, and people are paying them

ditto gunborker, I have sold a shitton of ammo on Gunborker in the past few months,
it helped me clean out a lot of inventory I had from buying estates,

start at 14.99 or 19.99 a box, and let the auction fever go,

the big shops have been getting ammo in this area, and the prices have been higher than the 7.99 or 8.99 115gr ball prices of last year, but not stupid high, most of it seems to be ~14.99 a box now, when in stock,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You all know this, but demand is high, and supply is low. That will drive the price up, and it isn't an inflated price. It is the price under current market conditions.

All we can do is decide if it is a price each of us is willing to pay. I haven't bought a lot of centerfire ammo lately, as I don't get that much value at the current prices.

I presume demand will come down, but if the Dems get control and go nuts, it may not.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
[I]f the Dems get control and go nuts, it may not.

I admit to being a little superstitious about naming the devil, so I won’t list the things the Democrats could do that would make 2020 seem like the good old days, but I can think of some.

I have paid higher than “normal” prices for ammunition during past shortages when I could get it, and today I think of two things when I look at those boxes on the shelves:
1. I should have bought more at those prices.
2. I’m glad I at least bought what I did.
What I don’t think about is how much it cost then.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
6 dollars box of 50 fmj or hollow points. got enough to supply a small war Smile

buy it cheap and stack it deep. para's orders.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yup, time to start looking at other calibers. I've been reloading for my .30 Carbine for several days now. I love shooting that thing. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last 9mm ammo I bought was $15.86 per box after tax . I bought 2k rds because I could . It's pretty well dried up around here now .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
And yet my ammo stash value is rising much faster than my stock investments. Eek
I kinda makes you not want to shoot it but where is the joy in that? Frown

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ammo prices are inflated. Inventories are low -- sometimes retailers & distributors have very little to sell. And when they do have popular products, they fly off the shelves.

My inventory of handgun ammo is good. Given that I don't shoot pistols all that often, I can ride out shortages for awhile.

Winter is when I generally train rifles with 22lr. I'm OK for this year and probably next year. Same with 308 Win -- I switch from 22lr to 308 in the spring to get used to recoil.

Spring and summer is 6.5 Creedmoor rifle competition time. My inventory is good for next year, but questionable after that. 6.5CM ammo is out there in some versions, but not so much with the load I compete with. I should have purchased more ammo earlier in 2020.

My big concern has been with 223 ammo -- both for training and competition. I had pretty much narrowed my inventory to FGMM 69 and Hornady Black 75 last, and shot all the rest. Then neither one was available for months in 2020, all the while I continued training and consuming my inventory. I've tried other brands of SMK 69 loads, but so far nothing has been as accurate as FGMM 69 across multiple rifles/uppers.

In the past few weeks I have finally located some Hornady 75. Prices are definitely higher than what I've seen in the past, but with some patience and daily searching, I've found prices that are not outrageous. Not great, but acceptable. And one has to buy the ammo quickly, or it just evaporates. It's just hard to guess what will happen over the coming months. So I continue to stock up, with another shipment coming next week.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have thousands and thousands of rounds of good quality 22LR. The PPQ-22 and the M&P 15-22 are what we shoot now. I'm not going to pay $19.00 for a 50 round box of 9mm range ammo.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worst I've seen so far is $50 a box of 50 in North Carolina last weekend. Several stores will not sell you ammo, unless you buy a gun or can prove you have bought the gun from them in the past. It'll get better if Trump wins but what happens if Biden wins? It will be like it was after Obama's two wins, $1500 AR's selling for $3000 overnight.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
6 dollars box of 50 fmj or hollow points. got enough to supply a small war Smile

buy it cheap and stack it deep. para's orders.

XLT, that setup is betting looking than your avatar! DAYUM!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post