SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Anyone else done paying inflated gun/ammo prices?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else done paying inflated gun/ammo prices? Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I was looking for a box of .22 short the other day. I.e. 50 rounds. Prices started at about 9 bucks.

Decided I didn't need them, even if the seller had any in stock. They did not.

Elk where are you in Va?

I have a stash that I keep for my High Standard Olympics,

if you need a couple boxes, shoot me an email

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm considering early retirement. I just need to sell my guns and ammo stash and I'd be rich.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have a shit lot of ammo right now (an arsenal as defined by CA and other liberal states but just average in the remaining free states but I digress) but the thought of shooting it at todays market price make me queasy even though I own it at a third of the the going rate.
Such a predicament to be in. Confused
It might be a golden time for the industry but I have a very uneasy feeling about it all. Frown

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I laid in a ton of 22 lr and have a S&W M&P 15-22 and a Walther PPQ P22. They are not quite the same as their centerfire big brothers but in today's environment, I'm comfortable shooting the 22s.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I'm considering early retirement. I just need to sell my guns and ammo stash and I'd be rich.

I hear ya.
It's the replacement cost that is the killer.
If you sell everything sure you could retire from work but you have to retire from shooting too. Frown

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was surprised to see lots and lots of Browning 9mm FMJ on the shelves of L&M Supply (a fleet farm type chain in northern Minnesota) yesterday. Fifteen bucks a box (50) and limit of two per customer. What's funny is that it was almost the only ammo in the case. I'll be interested to see how long it lasts.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Browning 9mm FMJ

How many will buy it thinking it's 9mm Luger?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many will buy it thinking it's 9mm Luger?

It is 9mm Luger; Browning is the brand.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ah. I misread “Browning 9mm” as “9mm Browning,” which is another term for 380 ACP.
Thanks for the clarification.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Yeah, not a bad price for that Browning 9mm ammo.
Nothing available like that in my location.
$0.30 per shot.
But it's way better than the recent case sale in the classifieds here for $0.70 per shot. I've seen worse on the Web.
At $0.30 per shot, that's still more than twice what I can reload 9mm for.
When Walmart stopped selling handgun ammo, Winchester White Box 115 grain 9mm range ammo was about $22 for a 100 count box, so $0.22 per shot.
I could barely stand buying Winchester White Box at that china merchandise loving store, but I did because it was easy.
All the small stores locally started price gouging when Walmart stopped selling handgun ammo. (no more local competition)
So I do thank Walmart for getting me to start reloading handgun ammo in volume again.
My cast lead 125 grain round nose 9mm reload is $0.137 per shot.
My reloading machine and reloading area got refurbished & modernized over the summer.
I bought 6000 of the cast lead projectiles Labor Day weekend.
Para said, "Buy it cheap and stack it deep" and I listened.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1532 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I hear ya.
It's the replacement cost that is the killer.
If you sell everything sure you could retire from work but you have to retire from shooting too. Frown

That was in jest, I could only fund a new car, not a retirement.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just won't pay these crazy prices. If it means less time at the range, so be it. Sucks but it's where we are I guess.

NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member

Posts: 137 | Location: Gainesville, FL.  | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Ah. I misread “Browning 9mm” as “9mm Browning,” which is another term for 380 ACP.
Thanks for the clarification.

Didn't know that. Luckily I could shoot it either way, but it's nice to learn something new...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Visiting ammo search engine sites is paying off. It takes constant effort, however. I'm not buying handgun ammo -- don't shoot all that much, my inventory is OK, and prices tend to be way too high.

Rifle ammo costs are all over the place, with brand and type selection being a real challenge. I've seen my preferred 223 match ammo listed for as much as $2 per round above 2019 prices. Some people must be buying it.

Last week I found Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 140 ELD ammo for only $.20 per round above my normal cost. In the middle of breakfast I signed on to the website. Ordered 600 rounds -- uncertain if that much was available, and if it would clear the shopping cart. Woohoo, success. After a printed the invoice and did a happy dance, the site said it was sold out. 140 ELD is my primary steel match ammo.

This week I found Federal GGM 223 69 grain for only $.20 per round above my normal cost. I just arrived at work and barely started up the computer. Ordered 60 rounds -- again uncertain if that much was available. Woohoo, success. After printing the invoice and grabbing a cup of joe, the site said it was sold out. FGMM 69 is my 223 training ammo.

I'm still shooting, and still buying. I suspect the wonky ammo market will continue for awhile.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Getting ready to sell a Baer Concept V and a bunch of .45ACP as a package...I haven't been shooting much (okay, at all) the last few years, so wasn't fully aware the ammo shortage was as dire as it's become, reading this thread.

I'm torn between following through on my plan (so as to help get my daughter a motorcycle) and I suppose getting a bit of a premium, or instead holding on to what I have since it sounds I'd never go to the expense of replacing it all down the road. I remember the ammo shortage of 2008/2009 -- one that we never fully seemed to rebound from -- and I don't want to fight that battle again.

I'm sure I'll go with the former plan as my daughter's the priority, not my fears about replacement, but it sure gives one pause.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
I haven't been shooting much (okay, at all) the last few years, so wasn't fully aware the ammo shortage was as dire as it's become, reading this thread.

I remember the ammo shortage of 2008/2009 -- one that we never fully seemed to rebound from -- and I don't want to fight that battle again.

The ammo market made a few reasonable rebounds during the Obummer years, followed by more shortages/panics. As a relatively high-volume shooter, I found the cycles irritating. During the Trump administration, the ammo market did fully recover from what occurred a decade ago. If you had been shooting and buying ammo, you would have known this.

I suspect the cycles of panics and surpluses will continue going forward. Firearm enthusiasts must plan for it.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post