SIGforum
Anyone else done paying inflated gun/ammo prices?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1120009574

November 19, 2020, 09:40 PM
radioman
Anyone else done paying inflated gun/ammo prices?
so, what is a "fair" price for 9mm 115 gr right now?

for a long while it was 20 cents a round. now?????

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
November 19, 2020, 10:13 PM
Excam_Man
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Someone must think they found a gold mine.

That is not the highest price I've seen.

And as for the profit he's making on the deal, I can't seem to find anything in that ad that says how much he originally paid for the ammunition that he's trying to sell now. Do you have that information?

I'm sure its not the highest price, but it's sure not reasonable.
He might not be making a large profit, but if he isn't, he definitely paid a high price for something which he didn't need, in times where the pricing wasn't in his favor.

I'm sure he's just listing it here to help some poor folk out who can't find it locally.
Which gives confidence to his local suppliers pricing.

Why buy extra at outrangous prices?

So either way, he paid to much or is making a huge profit. Neither really helps the firearms community.

November 20, 2020, 02:43 AM
roustabout
Yes, I’m done with paying inflated gun and ammo prices. During the Clinton AWB years, I wasn’t involved much in the firearms hobby. I had a Security Six and a Remington 870, and left it at that.

When Obama was first elected in 2008, my attitude about 2A issues changed overnight. At age 59, I acquired my first semiauto handgun. Things picked up from there along with my need for ammo. A couple of years later, I started reloading. I consider myself fortunate that I now am pretty well set with my shooting hobby for the remainder of my life.

Much younger folks who have just now reached the legal age for gun ownership are the ones I feel sorry for. A lot of ammo, depending on the caliber is unavailable at any price. If the Senate is lost to the Democrats and Biden reaches the White House, online ammunition sales could be banned. At least that is one part of Biden’s “gun safety” proposals. Hopefully that won’t come to pass.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
November 20, 2020, 06:32 AM
sigfreund
quote:
Neither really helps the firearms community.

That is one of the oddest justifications for criticizing someone’s individual buying and selling practices I have ever seen expressed. It’s fascinating to learn how obsessed some can be about things that have absolutely no impact on them personally, and the assumptions they’re willing to make and defend on the basis of total ignorance.

And although it’s almost worthy of its own thread, I wonder if anyone else is pondering the future and what it might hold for ammunition and firearms prices. If the Democrats manage to do something like increase the tax on those items so that 1000 rounds of 9mm training ammo can’t be and will never again be available for less than $700, then what? Will everyone who says, “I’m not going to spend …” give up their guns and stop shooting for good?

Hmm …; maybe poll time.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
November 20, 2020, 07:56 AM
Voshterkoff
If I had no ammo I would gladly buy some at an inflated price instead of having none. It’s like during a disaster when truckers can afford to rent a chill trailer themselves, and haul a load of ice to the effected area for “gouging” prices. Those with extra can afford to let it go at a certain price, and those with enough won’t want to pick more up. Those with nothing can get some. People are just too self centered, and want everything better, faster, and cheaper, even during a disaster or extreme circumstances. In many places around the world ammo is expensive. They can’t afford to hose 500 rounds at steel targets every week, and we might very well be heading to that situation.
November 20, 2020, 08:42 AM
smschulz
A buddy of mine was begging me to start up a 223/556 run on the reloader.
I refused for a variety of reasons but that is not important.
He went out and bought a couple hundred rounds of steel cased ammo for $.77 per ... poor guy, now I feel sorry for him. Frown
November 20, 2020, 11:14 AM
divil
I am buying factory ammo in very limited amounts. Specific jhp loads or specific non outrageous fmj ammo when I see it, which isn’t very often. I do keep an eye peeled though for anything decently priced thats for sure.

I have a factory ammo stash in most calibers that I shoot, so I am mostly trying to not erode it too much. I am hand loading most of what I shoot these days.

Powder and brass are no problem. Primers are the weak spot, however I have 1 LGS that has done a good job of getting them in and they sell them on a 200- 300 rationed basis. Jacketed bullets are hard to come by, but I do cast so that helps alleviate.
November 20, 2020, 04:43 PM
HRK
Email today Patriot Defense has 115 ball 9mm for $158 per 250, that's $632 before shipping and tax for a case of 9mm...... buy now before it's gone...

November 20, 2020, 06:35 PM
remsig
I refuse to pay the inflated prices for ammo. I've actually stocked up on defensive ammo over the last 6 months and have paid normal price or just a little over ($2 - 3 per box over pre panic prices.)
November 20, 2020, 10:04 PM
lkdr1989
Had a family member buy 100rds of 9MM FMJ reloads for $60 from a "friend"; told them that they got ripped off after which they returned the ammo.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV
November 20, 2020, 11:06 PM
rburg
This thread has been hinting that if you have no ammo, anything is not overpriced. Unless you are good with no ammo. Its why us old men always have a stash around. At some point we deem that we have enough. But we still keep buying. But only at fair prices. Gougers will make their money off those who have none. Only the stupid burn up all their ammo on targets or tin cans.

Unhappy ammo seeker
November 20, 2020, 11:35 PM
Excam_Man
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Neither really helps the firearms community.

That is one of the oddest justifications for criticizing someone’s individual buying and selling practices I have ever seen expressed. It’s fascinating to learn how obsessed some can be about things that have absolutely no impact on them personally, and the assumptions they’re willing to make and defend on the basis of total ignorance.

So you're ok with someone wanting to make a profit during a time of short supply? Adding to the problem?

Keep cleaning those shelves and the prices will never come down.
Clean those shelves, even when YOU don't need it, keeping it from your local firearm enthusiast.
Keep buying all of it and the store owner might raise the price further or limit buying. Afterall, he can't keep it in stock, might as well raise the price.

If you don't have respect/sympathy for others in your hobby, who do you respect?

It's really no different then the guy who bought TP and sold it for extremely high prices.

I have a hard time believing any member here would pay $35/box for ammo normally costing $10/box during normal times, and listing it here just to help someone out.
I know I'm not doing it, cause I'd end up with a shitload of $35/box ammo laying around.

November 21, 2020, 11:39 AM
Voshterkoff
They would if they had none. If you have some, don’t buy any.
November 21, 2020, 11:58 AM
sigfreund

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
November 21, 2020, 12:27 PM
smschulz
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
This thread has been hinting that if you have no ammo, anything is not overpriced. Unless you are good with no ammo. Its why us old men always have a stash around. At some point we deem that we have enough. But we still keep buying. But only at fair prices. Gougers will make their money off those who have none. Only the stupid burn up all their ammo on targets or tin cans.

He He Big Grin
November 21, 2020, 12:48 PM
Voshterkoff
It could also be a new gun owner, perhaps someone facing a real threat to them. High prices keeps ammo available for people like that, and keeps the rest of us who have a stockpile from buying.
November 22, 2020, 09:34 AM
Skins2881
Jeez just checked online. 70¢ a round for 9 ball is what it's going for. I was laughing at people buying at $400 a case, now I wish I picked up another case.

This sucks.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
November 22, 2020, 09:50 AM
selogic
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Jeez just checked online. 70¢ a round for 9 ball is what it's going for. I was laughing at people buying at $400 a case, now I wish I picked up another case.

This sucks.
My last purchase of 9mm was $265/1000 after tax . I bought two cases . Right after that it went through the roof and became mostly unobtainable around here . I had another 1k in the closet so I think I'm ok for a while .
November 22, 2020, 09:58 AM
Skins2881
^^^ I have thousands of rounds, but if I kept shooting like I used to it wouldn't last me through 2021. Stopped buying and stopped shooting when covid hit.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
November 22, 2020, 10:11 AM
bigeinkcmo
I am no expert but I'm going to predict the prices are here to stay for a while. Demand is up and the supply is tight.