SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lularoe, don't.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lularoe, don't. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Over the years in the production business I have had several clients in the MLM game hire me to produce content for them and as a result I have gotten to see what's "behind the curtain"

Some of what I saw/learned:

- Yes, you can make money and a lot of it BUT you need to be at the top or pretty damn close to it.

- Almost all their unique, special, life changing products come out of the same plants and are private labeled for each company (Amway is the exception to this)

- They (the company) makes a ton of money doing conventions and big meetings where they sell their down lines tones of books and DVD's to pump them up.

- It's all the same stories and cliches

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I kind of got sucked in/taken by one of these MLM types as a "customer" for Melaleuca products (which I think are great BTW and get now from a family member).

At least the guy was 100% honest with me; a friend I hadn't heard from in years, gets me over coffee and gives me this big pitch. BUT, he tells me he really only wanted me to sign up for ONE ORDER and then I could quit and would I help him out that way. It turns out that I was the 1,000th or whatever number he needed to get signed up to hit his numbers and get some sort of big bonus.

I helped him, signed up and put in a big order, then quit as soon as he got his bonus.

This helped me to become extremely wary of ANYTHING that looks or sounds like an MLM pitch.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I would sooner get divorced than let my wife get involved in a MLM scam.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
And with all the publicized issues with LLR, they have a private jet, and the owner's husband has a McLaren 650S Spider, and a Koenigsegg Agera RS (the one used to set the world record last year in NV), supposedly has a Regera & an Aston Valkyrie on order as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15281 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Some good information on multi-level marketing here.

"According to a report that studied the business models of 350 MLMs, published on the Federal Trade Commission's website, at least 99% of people who join MLM companies lose money."

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I kind of got sucked in/taken by one of these MLM types as a "customer" for Melaleuca products (which I think are great BTW and get now from a family member).

At least the guy was 100% honest with me; a friend I hadn't heard from in years, gets me over coffee and gives me this big pitch. BUT, he tells me he really only wanted me to sign up for ONE ORDER and then I could quit and would I help him out that way. It turns out that I was the 1,000th or whatever number he needed to get signed up to hit his numbers and get some sort of big bonus.

I helped him, signed up and put in a big order, then quit as soon as he got his bonus.

This helped me to become extremely wary of ANYTHING that looks or sounds like an MLM pitch.

Melaleuca is one of the exceptions to what I posted as far as product goes. I used their soap and cleaning products from time to time and thet are excellent.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
<broadbrush>

I loath MLM religions and their evangelists.

There is a personality type that gets caught up in it, and the whole of it turns me off.

It's my nailed shut, narrow minded POV.

I have worked hard and long on some things and got zero dollars, but still have a sense of fulfillment having accomplished a task worth doing. And as corny as it might sound, the reward was in the doing of the thing.

</broadbrush>

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
"Network Marketing" was all the rage at Ft Leonard Wood when I was stationed there in the late 80s to early 90's. Many soldiers I knew would talk about establishing their own "business" and then offer to explain it to me "over coffee". I was regaled with stories of the Arkansas pig farmer that was a "diamond level distributor", whatever the heck that was/is. I generally declined the offer of coffee, even when asked "don't you like to make money?" (Hint: I do, but not this way).

I did have some in depth conversations with one soldier who was in my unit. He would never use the name "Amway" unless absolutely pressed to divulge whose name was on most of the products he sold. I tried to explain to him that it was a pyramid scheme, but he claimed it was not because if you worked hard, you could achieve a higher level than the person who brought you in (see the Diamond Level pig farmer). He would tell me how much money his "business" made the previous month, but would never divulge how much of his money he had to spend for his "business" to make that amount.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m in the preliminary process of starting a massage parlor, I’ve been doing interviews for over 3 years!

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My husband has just gotten into 1 of these types of gigs (at a high level I believe so he at least has that going for him), but he was/is a bit upset with me that I don't want to be a part of it. I told him I already have a full time job that I like & make decent money, I don't need or want another job. I want less hours, not more.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My ex-wife sold rubber peckers. Not Pure Romance, but a competitor. Can't remember the name.

I think I fronted her $350 to get started. She sold the shit out of those things!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Even the very, very few that make it big in MLM/Network Mktg must live with the knowledge that the vast number of distributors in their downline never experience any level of success. In fact most of them experience financial loss, as well as loss of other things like time and relationships.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16318 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
I would sooner get divorced than let my wife get involved in a MLM scam.

Don’t miss out - you can do both!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My wife has/had a side thingy selling on eBay. At least she sorta broke even. She was more concerned about her ‘100% feedback’ rating than any profits.

I use her account at times to offload something I have laying around, at least it’s good for that.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Neighbor has been their best to sell their stuff, but there are 4 others within 10 miles trying to do the same thing. Reviews I have read about them were not great at all. One review said that a company advisor told them to not pay some of their household bills, to buy more stock from Lularoe, what a POS advice. Saw a lot of their clothing on eBay for sale for really discounted prices, I guess to just get rid of it.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

My dad had a paper route in the late 40s and early 50s. He was always one new subscription away from a new bicycle or camping trip. Oldest trick in the book.

fwbulldog,

I'm sorry your wife got caught up in one of these. I've had friends ask me on a couple occasions to listen to the initial pitch and tell them what I thought. After listening, I'd give my honest opinion, and my friends would get defensive about it. Fortunately they were just friends and I didn't have to live with it. I hope you and your wife work through this successfully.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
My weird luck.

Years ago I get call from my cousin. He's thinking about going into business for himself, and because of my experience, asks if I will go with him to his meeting and give him my input. Of course I will.

Had no idea it was an Amway meeting.

But I have that weird luck. I drove one of my limousines there that day and had a reflective silver item hanging from the rear view mirror. At some point somebody called the police thinking that the driver (me) was waiving a pistol around inside the car. Being a limousine, it didn't take the police long to see it parked on the side of a street.

Hadn't been there for 5 minutes and I'm looking for an out when: BANG BANG BANG. Police at the door looking for the owner of the limo. Sorry guys...can't stay....have to run...Police want to search my car. Later!

While the officers were knocking at the door, the other officers had already noticed what was hanging from the mirror. By time we got to the car they had already put 2 and 2 together, apologized for the trouble, and I followed them right out of the neighborhood and headed home.

The police saved me that day. Big Grin

If any of your Lularoe dealers have any of these laying around, I'd be interested.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:
God I wish I had put my foot down and said "no".

But then would your wife had been mad at you? Is it worth the lost money to let her find out for herself that it was a bad idea rather than blaming you for not letting her try it?

As far as the product, I find their leggings super comfortable but also overpriced. The local thrift store sometimes has a bunch of them in new condition, so I suspect that periodically someone who is getting out of the business is sick of trying and just donates the leftovers. Cool, I now pay $4 instead of $25.

I do recall a member here whose wife has had success with the business, FWIW. I think a lot of it probably depends on your connections.

I agree that she needs to learn how to fail or succeed.
No funding of failure by you just let her figure it out and if she can do it great if not just move on.
Think of it where the "guys" start a business and fail (or succeed) - it needs to urn it's course.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
When I was in HS, my best friends Mom was neck deep in Shaklee.
Roll Eyes

They're small fries now; I think they were the first MLM to be on the stock market. Now, it's back to being privately held.

In any case, I used to work at corporate shaklee and I got to see what distributors made. I ran forecasting and analysis reports. It can certainly pay off but it's hard work. But once you make it, you're pretty much set. People at the top were making $2 million a month easy. And these people would just buy the product they need to qualify for their overrides and feed it to their horses. They made so much more on the overrides from their network underneath them that they can afford to throw out the product they need to sell to qualify for the overrides.

MLM is a legitimate business model, the difference is the company pays it's "Consultants" the money they would pay to distributors and advertising people.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
My ex-wife sold rubber peckers. Not Pure Romance, but a competitor. Can't remember the name.

Heh! I dated a gal who did that and she made a crap ton on it.

She called it "Schtupperware". LOL

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post