SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Guests who don't respect your values
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guests who don't respect your values Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have an uncle who can't control bodily functions, or the aim thereof. My parents can't stand to have him over anymore. Nothing like seeing someone woof down a bunch of corn at dinner, and the next morning pulling corn out of the dryer vent that has been semi-digested, washed and dried with the soiled sheets from an overnight visit.

Posts: 378 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I paid a bunch of money so my daughter could go to college and have a comfortable life. They proceeded to open her skull, scoop out every last brain cell and replace it with libtard claptrap.

Then she got married to a tits-on-a-boar type guy who can't handle the pressures of holding a regular job, so he rents out rooms in his house for income. Great long term planning there.

She has provided me with two awesome grandkids though, so whenever they come to visit, we carefully avoid talking about politics. Of course, I get the privilege of paying for everything.

Sig Sauer SP2022 .40 S&W Two Tone
Sig Sauer P224 No Longer Nickel 9mm
Sig Sauer P290RS 9mm Two Tone
Sig Sauer 1911 RCS
Sig Sauer P220 SAS Special Configuration
Sig Sauer M400 223/556
Sig Sauer P230SL .380
Sig Sauer P239 SAS Gen1 9mm
Sig Sauer P6 9mm

Posts: 38 | Registered: May 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Right before my wife's uncle died her mom had to institute a no politics or religion discussion rule at her house because of the arguments. My rules for my house and vehicles are simple: What I say is law and if that's a problem you can GTFO. No exceptions.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
Rather than being a poor host, have you considered not inviting guests into your home?
Perhaps it makes more sense for all of you to meet at a local restaurant, park or museum instead.

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
Rather than being a poor host, have you considered not inviting guests into your home?
Perhaps it makes more sense for all of you to meet at a local restaurant, park or museum instead.

They are from another state, so local meetups aren't an option

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old Irish saying,"You can pick your friends, but you're stuck with your relatives."

Posts: 184 | Location: NY-US | Registered: December 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I say "tell them I don't like them and am no longer willing to pretend I do because they're family".

You sir, are my hero! Big Grin

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tolerate TV channels and polite opposite views quite a bit but if people cant respect my actual requests when I talk to them about something dumb they are doing then they don't come back and I tell them exactly why. Family gets to come back after I have a full conversation and politely lay out what they did wrong last time and why it wont happen again.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:

They are from another state, so local meetups aren't an option

Neither my wife or I enjoy having houseguests or being houseguests. We meet our relatives on neutral territory at a hotel in a city halfway between their home town and ours. Everybody gets their own room and can watch whatever stupid, trashy tv show they want.

Regarding "Uncle Corny"- the first time he shit the bed in my house would be the last time he visited.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I had a college friend staying hear about 20 years ago. He always changed the TV channel to what he wanted to watch without asking. Then he was always borrowing stuff or making himself at home with other items he should have bought himself.

Then it got to the point I had to be home to let him in which meant I don't get to work late at the other place. I didn't want to give him a key and I am glad I didn't. I decided there was noting in it for me and suggested that he find another place to live. He was commuting from WV and working at Vint Hill Farms.

I have been getting rid of stuff to move and noticed things didn't seem right with some of my fishing tackle missing. Then I found my old computer listing of all my books and other stuff. Looks like he decided he needed them more than me. I assume he was hard up for money and must have taken them to sell on ebay. While there were lots of other people staying here from time to time, they had no opportunity to take anything without me noticing. Hard to believe and sad at the same time.

Later on, I ran into another college friend and told him I had run into Buddy and he had stayed here for about three months. He noted that Buddy had been staying at Terry's and Terry's wife said it is either me or Buddy. Big Grin I guess I was lucky.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
I say "tell them I don't like them and am no longer willing to pretend I do because they're family".

You sir, are my hero! Big Grin

Thanks. Razz

I'm not deliberately trying to offend them, but let the truth be told. I've put up with some of these people for the 30+ years of our marriage. I'm no longer willing to do so, and I'd rather they hear the truth now and put an end to it as opposed to make up excuses and then have to come up with another one the next time they invite us over.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6393 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Then he was always borrowing stuff or making himself at home with other items he should have bought himself.

Yep. This too - it's the same family members. Funny how that works.

One of them was moving out of state. The wife wanted to have a going away party for him and I agreed because it could be one of the last times I'd ever have to see him.

The party's outside on the deck and he borrows a jacket because the evening is chilly. I kept an eye peeled and at the end of the evening, sure enough, he's walking out the door still wearing my jacket.

I said: "Are you planning on mailing the jacket back?" My wife was pissed at me, but I knew if I didn't say something I was never going to see it again.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6393 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
quote:
I don't care what you think of me for it, this is my house and how I feel. Watch that shit in your home.

My feelings exactly,over the years my list is very short as people in my home.

Same here! We get VERY few guests here. But then we are pretty self sufficient and the nearest neighbor house is barely visible through the trees and brush, at least when the leaves are still on the trees.

My house, my rules.

Neighbor lady was over yesterday for a while. He husband was my best friend and wood cutting buddy. First "visitor" we have had for probably more than a year. The last one was someone trying to sell me a tree service. That lasted less than 30 seconds.

I generally try to be courteous when people come to the door but if they don't get the message that we/I are not interested, the message changes somewhat.

But then, I am a certified crusty old fart with little patience for bull shit.

Even had that reputation when I was still working.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
We've got in-laws who put that crap on when we're the guests, full well knowing they're rankling my ass. I have to sit there and take it, I swear sometimes it feels like being buried alive, no escape. Following visits are never looked forward to at this stage of the game.

Bad guests, bad hosts, count on progressives to stink the place up as only they can.

Simple answer, IMO, either get up and leave, or better, perhaps, don't even go there!

Fortunately, the Mrs. and I are pretty much on the same page with regards to libtard BS. We don't invite them to the house, don't take them out to eat, don't visit them at their houses.

Saves wear and tear on the nerves.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Then he was always borrowing stuff or making himself at home with other items he should have bought himself.

Yep. This too - it's the same family members. Funny how that works.

One of them was moving out of state. The wife wanted to have a going away party for him and I agreed because it could be one of the last times I'd ever have to see him.

The party's outside on the deck and he borrows a jacket because the evening is chilly. I kept an eye peeled and at the end of the evening, sure enough, he's walking out the door still wearing my jacket.

I said: "Are you planning on mailing the jacket back?" My wife was pissed at me, but I knew if I didn't say something I was never going to see it again.

What is even more laughable is when my beer supply was gone, he finally bought a 6-pack and when he left, he took the two or three cans left with him. Big Grin I seldom drink at all and usually buy a case when it is on sale and use it to fill the bottom of the frig for temperature control.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post