SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Guests who don't respect your values
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guests who don't respect your values Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I have family over visiting. They wanted to watch MSNBC, I said no we don't watch that channel in this house. I was serious, I refuse to support that nonsense. This started an argument, which then turned into them wanting to watch Will and Grace. I again said no way, you will not watch that in my house, 30 minutes of in your face gay liberal bullshit, knowing every other "joke" would be about Trump and how stupid conservatives are. I just refuse to watch this crap anymore.

Why can't people just accept other people's homes values and thoughts? I don't care what you think of me for it, this is my house and how I feel. Watch that shit in your home.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Saying goes "You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family."

I disagree.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25980 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Saying goes "You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family."

I disagree.

Well, you CAN'T pick your family. Oh, you can, in a way, choose your in-laws, but even there...

What you CAN do is refuse to allow them in your house if they won't respect your wishes.

Been there, done that.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15157 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't care what you think of me for it, this is my house and how I feel. Watch that shit in your home.

My feelings exactly,over the years my list is very short as people in my home.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
Plenty of hotels in the area. Maybe print up some expedia or hotels.com pages and leave them around the house. Better yet put them in picture frames. Lol Jersey asshole signing off.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 226Reasons:
Plenty of hotels in the area. Maybe print up some expedia or hotels.com pages and leave them around the house. Better yet put them in picture frames. Lol Jersey asshole signing off.

I'll send them to your place... You're the one with the pool and recently vented attic....

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You offer your hospitality and all they want to do is watch TV? They should have stayed home.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I don’t invite family like that to stay for more than dinner.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I have family over visiting. They wanted to watch MSNBC, I said no we don't watch that channel in this house. I was serious, I refuse to support that nonsense. This started an argument, which then turned into them wanting to watch Will and Grace. I again said no way, you will not watch that in my house, 30 minutes of in your face gay liberal bullshit, knowing every other "joke" would be about Trump and how stupid conservatives are. I just refuse to watch this crap anymore.

Why can't people just accept other people's homes values and thoughts? I don't care what you think of me for it, this is my house and how I feel. Watch that shit in your home.

Didja turn it off, or move the TV or cable box, or hide the remote? It's your house, after all.

No one, and I mean no one, ever, for more than an instant, is doing something in my house that I expressly forbade. No one wins a battle of wills in my own home. That's crazy talk.

Either you're king of your castle or you aren't.

Did you let them do it?

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
OP, I am right there with you and I actually learned it from my first wife's grandfather.

Not knowing the movie, the ex and I rented Liar, Liar while at Poppy's and Nana's house in Cashiers, NC. About five minutes in Poppy says "not ever in my house."

While the ex was rather pissed and after she left the room I said to him, "thank you sir for teaching me how to take control of my house."

I was about 25 years old at the time and used the line on many occasions and with a single exception it has always been addressed directly to a family member.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14018 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
We did not watch it.

I know as I'm getting older I am getting more crusty and less tolerant. It drives my wife crazy too as I declare certain shows banned or actors who I refuse to allow on my tv. I don't want to see a Titans game in my house ever again either, and I will ask any restaurant that has it on to turn it to something else. I don't care how limited my tv and movie selection becomes.

You don't like it, don't stay here. I'm no longer tolerant of this BS.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

With family like that, we're going out to dinner so I won't have to deal with kicking them out of the house when dinner is over. I'll pay my portion of the bill then leave. They can stay at the restaurant for as long as they want.

My wife and even my mother think my temper gets shorter as I get older. That's not the case. My tolerance for dumb shit gets less as I get older, especially for liberal bullshit and lies.

Posts: 13029 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

With family like that, we're going out to dinner so I won't have to deal with kicking them out of the house when dinner is over. I'll pay my portion of the bill then leave. They can stay at the restaurant for as long as they want.
Another valid option.

Reminder to bring cash in that situation, allows you to tally up your portion, drop $$$, and depart without the inevitable "oh, how are we going to break this up???"

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
We've got in-laws who put that crap on when we're the guests, full well knowing they're rankling my ass. I have to sit there and take it, I swear sometimes it feels like being buried alive, no escape. Following visits are never looked forward to at this stage of the game.

Bad guests, bad hosts, count on progressives to stink the place up as only they can.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I would never stay at any bodies house. Even when I visit my parents or my Brother overseas I get a hotel. I can’t feel comfortable in other people’s homes. If I’m in a hotel that I’m paying for then I feel like it’s my domain to do with what I want. When people stay with me they can watch whatever the hell they want...in the guest room.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turn off the power and water.....they'll leave soon enough.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'd be more irritated that they would rather watch tv than actually visit.

As far as what they watch, so long as I don't have to participate, I wouldn't give 2 shits. I'm not that sensitive, and it's not as if what they watch will contaminate my life somehow.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17228 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yup...had to "put my foot down" to my ULTRA-conservative 82-year old mother when she was visiting and watching Fox News. I haven't "watched the news" in about 9 years, and I'm not gonna start now. She was OVER THE TOP reacting to some Lib-tard bullshit and I just had to tell her, "This isn't going to go down in my house" and I changed the channel.

Her argument is, "You have to be/stay informed". I told her I stay PLENTY informed in my normal walk of life and with my SIGForum family. Smile

No reason to feel badly, OP...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11016 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
My parents are mid-eighties in age and they have the news on 75% of the day. It gets old pretty quick.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I know as I'm getting older I am getting more crusty and less tolerant.

You and me both. I'm not looking to start family fights, but now that I'm older I have told the wife certain of her family members are never to be invited to our house again, and she can decline any invitations from them as well.

She has actually handled it pretty well. The only friction we have is that she wants to make up some excuse as to why we're not attending, and I say "tell them I don't like them and am no longer willing to pretend I do because they're family".

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6356 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post