SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Locking Security Lug Nuts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Locking Security Lug Nuts Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
Just bought a used Mazda 3. It's a nice little car, but for some idiot reason Mazda felt the need to put those idiotic locking lug nuts on it...you know, the kind that take the special socket to engage the little grooves, and inevitably gets lost or stripped and then you can't get the wheels off when you need them.

I'll never understand why these stupid things are standard in the first place...who steals wheels off of a Mazda 3? I mean, maybe some people live in shithole neighborhoods in the inner city where that actually happens, so I guess it could be an option for them (but even there, you'd think the wheel thieves would target nicer cars), but why do they feel the need to put them on cars that belong to the 99% of us that will never need them?

So naturally, I ordered new standard lug nuts, and when they arrived today, I went about removing the security nuts to replace them. Thankfully the previous owner still had the security socket that came with the car in the glove box. Unfortunately, the asshole techs at the tire shop must have torqued the dang things on there with an impact, because I needed a 3' pipe on my 2' breaker bar to break them loose. I got through three, and then it stripped out on the 4th one.

I JB welded the crap out of it and pounded it on there with a hammer. It's currently sitting in the garage waiting for the JB Weld to set up...hopefully it breaks loose for me tomorrow and I can be done with them. Screw you Mazda, and screw you security lug-nut inventor guy. And while I'm at it, screw everybody who feels the need to shove obnoxious solutions to big-city problems down the throats of all the rest of us.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last time I went down that road the solution involved an air chisel, a drill, another lug stud and a strained tendon in my hand.

Never before or since have I seen lugnuts tightened so tight that aluminum from the wheel transferred to the lugnut.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well that sucks.

A common remedy is to take a slightly larger socket and hammer it on tight. Then you should be able to remove it.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
One came on my last used truck purchase. No one told me. Asshole didn't leave the key with the truck.

A split rim from a road hazard at the divide of 2 highways almost led this thing to getting me killed.

Hours of delay and a commercial shop with an air wrench was required to get me going again.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

Screw you Mazda, and screw you security lug-nut inventor guy.
How about "screw every asshole who feels the need to over tighten lung nuts?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
...felt the need to put those idiotic locking lug nuts on it...you know, the kind that take the special socket to engage the little grooves, and inevitably gets lost or stripped and then you can't get the wheels off when you need them...
I spent a wonderful day in Bakersfield trying to get those off a VW Passat with a flat tire about 15 years ago.

Funny things was they towed me to the Bakersfield VW Dealership and their service department couldn't even get them off. I finally ended up at a local tire shop where they had to weld a bar onto them to take them off. As all 4 tires were within 5K of needing to be replaced, I replaced them all and didn't use the locking nuts.

You can say I really really hate them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I just had to use a lug but removal socket tool due to over tightening.

Absolutely unnecessary pain in the ass. Had completely stripped the lug nut trying to get it loose with the breaker bar.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Bought a truck last year and it had locking nuts mixed in with the variety pack on each wheel. Had to run a chisel through the center of three of them and put a socket on the end of the chisel. Didn't damage the wheel at all, but the curb rash was enough for me to give the wheels and tires away and buy another set.

Thinking about getting some full moon hubcaps, but does anybody make moons for twenty inch wheels?

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Get a 12 point socket that is just barely too small to fit over the locking lock nut. Them pound it on with a hammer. Grab a breaker bar or impact gun and take it off.

I learned this trick when I had a car with such lugnuts and no security key thing to get them off.

Worked fine on all four.

I would suggest using a socket you don't care about.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Have actually refused to accept service from shops that use impact tools even after I offered the use of my personal 4-way lug wrench and they declined to use it. And have replaced the lock (theft resistant lug nuts) nuts on several vehicles. ....................drill sgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Or, "Screw the guys who steal wheels and drive the need for security lug nuts in the first place."

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
When I went to replace the tires on the trailer for the boat we sold last spring I twisted one stud off trying to get the wheel nut off. On the other wheel I couldn't budge them. Pulled both hubs off and took them in to get them straightened-out.

When I got them back, complete with new tires, I went out and bought a good click torque wrench and tightened them properly.

I [b]did[/u] use a butterfly impact wrench to initially snug them down slightly, but the torque wrench did the final tightening.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Are you sure the locking wheel-nuts came OEM from Mazda? Sounds like something a dealer would add on to charge a premium for like pin-stripes, window tint, VIN etching, and undercoat.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
My buddy at his shop gets too many vehicles with locking lug nuts and no key to take them off. He calls the customer and too many don't even know what he's talking about. If they give permission he has special sockets that are made for taking off the locking lugs. Then they can buy regular lugs.

I have regular lugs and put anti seize on mine and use my electric impact if I'm at home.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or, "Screw the guys who steal wheels and drive the need for security lug nuts in the first place."

That's the thing, though...I've been a cop in this county for 10 years and never once have I worked a case of stolen wheels. Stolen cars, sure. Stuff stolen out of cars, sure. Slashed tires, sure...but never wheels stolen off a car. It's not a thing (and even if it was, I'd highly doubt econobox mazda factory rims would be high on their target list). There is no need...it's a (horrible) solution looking for a problem.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That, too, to some extent, but these damn things dont even have to be overtightened to ruin your day. They can rust, or get dinged, or somebody can lose the stupid proprietary socket, and then you're on the side of the road SOL.

In 20 years of working on my own cars I've never stripped a standard lug nut, even if it was overtorqued. I've had to use some big cheater bars, and I've broken a few studs, but I'd take a broken stud over a lug nut that you can't get off any day. A spare and 4 lugs will get you home...a flat tire you can't get off won't. And a wheel stud is pretty easy to replace at home in the garage.

Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Get a 12 point socket that is just barely too small to fit over the locking lock nut. Them pound it on with a hammer. Grab a breaker bar or impact gun and take it off.

I learned this trick when I had a car with such lugnuts and no security key thing to get them off.

Worked fine on all four.

I would suggest using a socket you don't care about.

Great response.
I had a 1997 4-Runner I was changing brake pads on in a friend's driveway SEVERAL years ago.
The Toyota 'LOCK' lug key chipped off a big part of the locking lug nut.
Called a coworker that did mechanic work on the side and he told me exactly what you recommended.
I lost a socket (Craftsman, & Sears replaced it), but I finished the brake job.
It was well worth it...

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

And screw assholes that over tighten lug nuts too.

Sorry V, I had to.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
quote:
quote:

And screw assholes that over tighten lug nuts too.

Sorry V, I had to.
Yeah, that too.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Are you sure the locking wheel-nuts came OEM from Mazda? Sounds like something a dealer would add on to charge a premium for like pin-stripes, window tint, VIN etching, and undercoat.

Maybe not from the factory, but a lot of dealers put them on new cars, in some cases it may help with their insurance.

We put them on every Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban on our lot when I was working at a Chevrolet dealer in college.
Came in one morning to 6 Silverados sitting on blocks. At >$1k per truck (retail) it was a no brainer to throw $42 of locking lugnuts on them.

On my Mercedes, the locking lug has an outline cut into it that the key engages, so the above mentioned 'hammer a socket onto it' method wouldn't work there. Plus the lug bolt holes in the wheel are quite tight, so it takes a standard size socket to get on them (an impact socket [on a breaker bar] won't fit).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post