SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Thought I had some vacation...was wrong
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thought I had some vacation...was wrong Login/Join 
posted
I’ve been a government employee now for two years. I work full time but I don’t have any job security because I’m considered a contract employee. Basically every three months or so my manager tells me he’s gonna need me for another few months, and so on.
The way you get full time permanent is to wait until a spot opens up and then go in front of a panel to apply.

I asked hr that since I’ve been there two years, do I have any vacation time? (I started getting benefits a year in).
I see people taking tons of time off and I never have.
Hr gets back that I’ve been classified as “on call” (despite working full time hours for two years) and so I have a total of five days off I can take accrued over the past year.

Better than nothing I guess but damn I thought I could take some time off by now.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, you might want to do some digging around at this site...

quote:
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)...

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

quote:

He's in Soviet Canukistan, so that wouldn't apply to him.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be happy you have benefits. If you are not a political appointee and do not have connections that is how the system works. The government allows it to happen.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

quote:

He's in Soviet Canukistan, so that wouldn't apply to him.

Heh, true.
I have to look through the collective agreement on Monday. I looked up law and it says full time employees by law get two weeks off a year. But it might say something different in collective agreement for our union.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post