SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cheap quality surge protectors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap quality surge protectors Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
A few weeks ago I cleaned up the garage to carve out (if you'll excuse the pun) a space where I could put my meager wood and metal working tools and supplies. There's a work bench that someone put up last summer and then forgot about over the winter, and I found it perfect for my needs. During my cleanup efforts, I placed a 36" 10 outlet surge protector on the table and screwed it in place on the tabletop.

Today, the compressor (which has been plugged into the strip for the past week with no problems, along with 2 vacuums, a table saw and the drill press) kicks on, and the strip goes dark a couple seconds later.

"Fuck," says I as I drive to Lowes to replace it. Drive home with it and some boards for my table project, and plug everything in. Flip the power switch, it immediately pops. They used non replaceable fuses instead of a circuit breaker. Now I have 2 power strips that are useless.

Gonna get my $40 back from Lowes (can't find the receipt for the first one, or that would be going back too), then turn Amazon for a replacement with a push button breaker. If the table were permanent I'd gladly wire in one of the permanent ones, but it's not and there's no receptacle to pull wires from.

It feels like something's trying to tell me to put the tools down for the day.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post

Big Grin

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that video. It was hilarious.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I too laughed my rear end off.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's way too many high amperage items plugged into a surge protector. Not to mention none of those items need a surge protector or really should be plugged into one, they're just electric motors with no electronics.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My assumption is that you need a 20 amp surge suppressor since those tools should be on a 20 amp circuit. The idiot that wired my garage put in a 15 amp circuit. The compressor will trip the breaker when it kicks in. I will have to run a new 20 amp circuit with a GFI breaker.

I have whole house surge protection.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
That's way too many high amperage items plugged into a surge protector. Not to mention none of those items need a surge protector or really should be plugged into one, they're just electric motors with no electronics.

This^^^

I suspect you're using the surge protector more as a multiple outlet.

If that's the issue, what you really need is a heavy extension cord with a multiple outlet adapter like this.

Of course, the best solution is to wire more outlets in your work space.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Here is a decent quality surge protector. You don't need to protect those items from surges, but it won't hurt to have one in place. Most of those items are going to use mechanical switches not electronics. The only good that having a surge protector will do is protect the house from micro surges from compressor and vac motors.

How many items did you have on at the same time? You may also have a fault in one of your pieces of equipment. Even when overloaded it's rare for a surge protector to fry on first use.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I only had 1-2 on at a time. everything else is just plugged in. If I had to point my finger at any specific item it would be the compressor (Harbor Freight special).

And Paul, that would be correct - I've been using it for its features as a power strip more than as a surge protector.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I, too, would suspect the compressor. Starting current on a compressor can be quite high until the motor comes up to speed.

Edit to add: Saws have quite a starting surge too, be they "skil" saws, miter saws or table saws.

I have two saws that are on dedicated 20 amp circuits wired with #10 wire.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I ended up revising my searches on Amazon and came up with this little number, which will be perfect for my needs. [URL=Tripp Lite 16 Outlet Bench & Cabinet Power Strip, 48 in. Length, 15ft Cord with 5-15P Plug (PS4816) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...yb1KX40D0]Link[/url]

It's a Tripp Lite, so I know it's quality (I have a similar one hanging on my server rack), and it's got the push button breaker I'm looking for. It looks like exactly what I need for putting on the desk, too, so if it works here I'll be getting 2 more.

ETA: I just found the receipt for the first strip. This is fantastic.

This whole thing is making me think about putting a new work box with an outlet wired to a 3 prong pigtail that's going to another source outlet for the saw and compressor. It really wouldn't be terribly hard to put together.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
I ended up revising my searches on Amazon and came up with this little number, which will be perfect for my needs. [URL=Tripp Lite 16 Outlet Bench & Cabinet Power Strip, 48 in. Length, 15ft Cord with 5-15P Plug (PS4816) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...yb1KX40D0]Link[/url]

It's a Tripp Lite, so I know it's quality (I have a similar one hanging on my server rack), and it's got the push button breaker I'm looking for. It looks like exactly what I need for putting on the desk, too, so if it works here I'll be getting 2 more.

ETA: I just found the receipt for the first strip. This is fantastic.

This whole thing is making me think about putting a new work box with an outlet wired to a 3 prong pigtail that's going to another source outlet for the saw and compressor. It really wouldn't be terribly hard to put together.

If near the electrical panel, I'd add a 20a circuit or two just for that stuff.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
I only had 1-2 on at a time. everything else is just plugged in. If I had to point my finger at any specific item it would be the compressor (Harbor Freight special).

And Paul, that would be correct - I've been using it for its features as a power strip more than as a surge protector.

I'm willing to bet that the compressor is using almost all 15 amps in the circuit on start up, so if anything else is running at the same time, you're browning out the circuit and everythings starving for electricity. I'd also check the circuit breaker and make sure it's working as it should and will pop at it's 15 amp rating.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the panels are mounted on the brick on the opposite side of the house, so running a new circuit is not a realistic option. I do plan on poking around in the panel tonight.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
An air compressor should have as short a cord and as few connections as possible. There should only be one, at the source. Plugging it into a surge protector or multi-outlet gives you two. The resultant voltage drop is bad for the motor and shortens its life. If your work is far away from the compressor, you use a longer hose.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
^ I didn't take that entirely into consideration. Since I had to wheel the compressor over from somewhere else (to which it must return) I had hoped that I could get away with using that for the convenience factor. The compressor does have its own built in breaker, and it has tripped itself on startup before when plugged directly to the wall. I do have a hose that is of an adequate length for most of my needs.