SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Facebook “friend” suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facebook “friend” suggestions Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I don’t much like FB, but my SiL and niece have abandoned email in favor of it, so I have the app to keep up with their doings.

I was constantly annoyed by the “friend suggestions”, most of whom were absolute strangers, with one or two “mutual friends”. I used to spend too much time deleting them. So I just quit doing that. The “friend suggestions” had climbed to 117. I was mildly curious to see what would happen when they exceeded 999.

But today I saw that they had dropped back to 47. Snicker – a small victory.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I do not use facebook, never have, but I would expect that there is a way to specify preferences or settings, ¿si?

If so, is there a way to eliminate these friend suggestions?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Nope.

Ah, the 9th. Thirty days is up. Today my FB account is permanently deleted

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the high number of friend suggestions. Did you give Facebook permission to access your contacts?

On the app, there's usually 5 people recommended that I friend; I simply ignore them. The friend recommendations are after the latest notifications that I haven't seen yet and before the previous notifications that I have seen.

On the FB app itself as you scroll down, you would get recommendations but you'd have to scroll sideways to see all these recommendations. Why do that? I just continue scrolling down.

It's not like someone's haranguing you to connect with these people.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't understand the high number of friend suggestions. Did you give Facebook permission to access your contacts?

FB serves up friends of friends to you in order to suggest and make connections, they also send over suggestions of people in groups you may be a member of as well, sometimes it's just random FB suggestions.

Agree they need a "stop" option on friend suggestions.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roses are red.
Fakebook is blue.
No mutual friends.
Who the fuck are you?

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got on FB to tell my older sister happy B-day and have reconnected with my family that is scattered all over and it's OK for me. I ignore the suggestions and just focus on Family.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Not to mention the random friend requests from sexy women who have no friends, no posts on their page, and are often in another country.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I do not use facebook, never have, but I would expect that there is a way to specify preferences or settings, ¿si?

I had looked for a control to turn ’em off while in the FB app, but didn’t see any. But your post prompted me to look further.

I opened the built-in iPhone Settings app, scrolled down to Facebook, and opened it. I found an ambiguously-named “Notification Grouping” switch, and turned it off.

That worked! I still get “X updated her status”, Y commented on Z’s post, etc. notifications, but no more “Friend suggestions”.

I think you for that prompt!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Check out Facebook Purity. Tons of options to tweak, adjust and hide things. Unfortunately not everything works 100% yet with the new layout but he is constantly working on it trying to get everything back to working completely.

https://www.fbpurity.com/install.htm?v=31.4.1

He also has a plugin called Revert Site which is intended to bring back the old layout...but that currently don't work as facebook keeps "fixing" things and breaking the plugin. He is still working on that also.

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Not to mention the random friend requests from sexy women who have no friends, no posts on their page, and are often in another country.

Yeah, I get those too. Like I'm going to fall for that.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the worst is the fb suggestions that are all my daughters young friends. It’s like a creepy old man recruiting drive. No, I don’t want to befriend young girls on the Internet. Just typing that sentence makes me want to go wash my hands. Yuk.

That being said, I just deleted my Facebook account. They cited me for “hate speech”. The post, and I quote, “Americans are sheep. Sad”. That’s it. Hate speech. No, this is hate speech, fuck Zuckerberg and his fucking commie platform, go suck a dick.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:

You,too? Tried bringing it FB’s attention. For all the good that did. Also tried turning off notifications for friend requests. For all the good THAT did.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I deleted my FB account around Thanksgiving. One more week to go until it is nuked from orbit. Only way to be sure.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I just love seeing people that have ripped me off in the past show up in my friend suggestions. Mad

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
They also have male names. Big Grin

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Couple weeks ago I got a rash of request all from what appeared to be young good looking women from eastern Europe.... I suspect if I pursued any I might get another kind of rash....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post