SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Rumble strips
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rumble strips Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I swear to God, if I find the SOB carving these things into the roads, I going to run him over...twice.

The white line ones on the sides, I'm (marginally) OK with. But now, the trend is to put them down the middle line as well.

This aggravates the hell out of me, not only driving, but as a home-owner who lives not far from a highway with this abomination. All day and all night I hear this "WHHHHHOOOOOMMMMPPPP".

Whoever is responsible for this crap needs to be tarred and feathered!

Mad

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately they’re becoming a necessity with everyone driving and looking down at their phones. Just yesterday I was almost clipped on a two lane road by a woman looking down at her phone. It’s getting worse on the roads despite laws being passed outlawing distracted driving.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We live about 1/2 mile south of US 93, and the prevailing wind is from the south, so we don't hear the traffic. But we can hear the rumble strips slightly. About 4 years ago they cut them down the middle, and I kept wondering to myself why so many people were running off the road. Smile

I actually think it is a good idea, at least for a two lane high speed highway. We have had far too many serious crashes on 93 at high speed by vehicles drifting over the center line.

Now, with the new safety warning devices mentioned in another thread, when you drift over the center you'll get the ass buzz as well.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whoever is responsible for this crap needs to be tarred and feathered!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Probably some safety conscious asshole. Same one who mandated those loud sirens on police cars and ambulances.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
They could at least make them play a tune.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Unfortunately they’re becoming a necessity

Is it a "necessity"? No. IMO.

I have lived on and driven US93 my entire life, once named "the highway of death" around these parts. This has not made any difference, nor will it.

Now MT 200 (among others) is having these damned things being placed down it's centerline.

Motherfuckers! Mad

I like to cut corners, leave me the hell alone!

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to know who is responsible, follow the money.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
They also help you find the lanes somewhat in inclement weather. Snow, rain, etc where the lines are just invisible or covered.

I'd really like to see the rumble strips filled with reflective paint that won't wear off as fast. New lines pop at night, but wait a few weeks and they're just as dull as ever, and dawn/dusk, especially with weather, they go disappearing again.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I drove over RS today several times. The RS are annoying as hell but I can see the need. The placement of the RS that I encountered today were on approaching construction sites. And on a sweeping curve. For both instances the placement of the RS indicated the deadly risk of distracted driving.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then there are the true assholes that will see how far they can drive on the rumble strip. Yeah, I'm one of them! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
With road construction you are diverted to the temporary lane where the tires are always on the rumble strip. Even nicer pulling an RV. When you find this person lets duct tape them to the wheel well of trailer and go back and forth through a construction zone.

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I'd hate to live within earshot of those rumble strips. Also hate driving over the rumble strips that they put before stop signs...

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I have lived on and driven US93 my entire life, once named "the highway of death" around these parts.

Small world - years ago I lived outside of Lolo up 12. Used to run to Lost Trail for skiing in the early 80's with my HS buddies. I miss those carefree days and the beautiful country.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
They are pretty nice in a blizzard.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5148 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
"WHHHHHOOOOOMMMMPPPP".

... There it is!. Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
They are pretty common in these parts. I don't really like them but I can see their usefulness for bad weather or incompetent drivers.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fun fact:
the same guy was the guy who thought putting
audio speakers on motorcycles, was a good idea
his motto , "People don't hear enough"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
They are pretty nice in a blizzard.

Agreed. I’ve used them to get home in a snowstorm. Never appreciated them before that day, but haven’t ever forgotten.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5303 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I hadn't thought of living near them, and hearing others hit them... That would be annoying for sure!

I can say, they have saved me from certain pain or death as I was driving home from a swing shift... started falling asleep... Rumble got my attention thankfully.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I was saved from ? by "rumble stips". I fell asleep at the wheel & woke up to hitting the rumble strips on the opposing lane shoulder. Waking up & over correcting my truck put me in the mud on my side of the road. I am OK with rumble strips!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Anush,

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ever heard of Carcolepsy ?

there are people who should not drive when they are alone
because
they consistently fall asleep behind the wheel while driving.

25 or 30 minutes in too their trip they just start falling asleep.

its said to be associated with the overwhelming rampant sleep deprivation problems that society is experiencing.

on the whole they are probably a good thing,
( the rumble strips)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post