SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I wish I could cut the cable
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I wish I could cut the cable Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
SWMBO has been watching too much TV and is in hang-wringing, the-world-is-coming-to-an-end, "the democraps are going to win the mid-terms in a landslide and undo everything Trump has accomplished" mode.

I got SO fucking sick of hearing about it. If I gave a fuck what the talking heads think, I'd be sitting right there beside her watching all the doom-and-gloom forecasts.

Media hype to the contrary, Trump is kicking some righteous ass and will continue to do so AND get re-elected despite all the histrionics of the Demoncraps and their media shills.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago the cable company could block your reception of certain channels. A kid's parents decided he should not watch MTV and she cancelled and replaced it with the Disney channel.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If republicans don't get out & vote, we deserve an ass whuppin'. On the positive side, remind your bride she is watching & listening to commie media.

It is their job to promote hatred of all things accomplished by Pres. Trump. Remember these are the folks that said no way would Trump win. We need to vote & shut these sob's up once more!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
A kid's parents decided he should not watch MTV and she cancelled and replaced it with the Disney channel.

In 1983 (before MTV as we knew it died) that would be child abuse.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Shit, I've never had cable and I'm not about to ever have it at our house.
Time to get back outside and do things that used to be done before cable came along.
I watch DVD's and never any news of any kind. It can be done! Pull the plug!

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nframe:
Time to get back outside and do things that used to be done before cable came along.

Not in my house, it can't. My wife and B-i-L would kill me in my sleep.

Personally, I haven't watched TV since I got DSL and could stream videos from Netflix and Amazon.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that sucks. I'm fortunate that my wife, like me, doesn't watch TV "news". The networks, CNN, all of the other news channels are not on our favorites list. Maybe you can convince the wife to stop watching that garbage.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Personally, I haven't watched TV since I got DSL and could stream videos from Netflix and Amazon.

Her brother lives with you? Hope there's a damn good reason for that.

We don't have cable, don't miss it one bit. We have Amazon Prime for the 3 year old and Netflix for when the wife wants to watch movies. It's not even "news" anymore, it's just agendas.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Her brother lives with you? Hope there's a damn good reason for that.

Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Not quite capable of living on his own.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If your Internet connection is fast enough for Netflix and Amazon then it most likely it's fast enough for one of the 4 streaming live TV options. I switched to Hulu Live this past month. The thread is about live college football, but I also have 40 live channels including CNN, CNN International, Fox Business, Fox News, and MSDNC.

It's best to put your zip code in their site to find out exactly what you get:
  • $40 YTTV - https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/start/
  • $40 Hulu Live - https://www.hulu.com/live-tv
  • $55 DirecTV Now - https://www.directvnow.com/
  • $30 Sling TV ($25 + $5 for sports) - https://www.sling.com/c/channels?classification=us

I'm a Big Ten football nut which locked me into $40 and above, but if I were a SEC fan then I could've gotten by with Sling.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Unmanned Writer
    Picture of LS1 GTO
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:
    quote:

If your Internet connection is fast enough for Netflix and Amazon then it most likely it's fast enough for one of the 4 streaming live TV options. I switched to Hulu Live this past month. The thread is about live college football, but I also have 40 live channels including CNN, CNN International, Fox Business, Fox News, and MSDNC.

It's best to put your zip code in their site to find out exactly what you get:
  • $40 YTTV - https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/start/
  • $40 Hulu Live - https://www.hulu.com/live-tv
  • $55 DirecTV Now - https://www.directvnow.com/
  • $30 Sling TV ($25 + $5 for sports) - https://www.sling.com/c/channels?classification=us

I'm a Big Ten football nut which locked me into $40 and above, but if I were a SEC fan then I could've gotten by with Sling.

• Dude, so you pay $165 (plus the high-speed internet connection) for something you get get for $150 WITH the high-speed internet connection and most all channels in HD? Eek

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
    Dude, so you pay $165 (plus the high-speed internet connection) for something you get get for $150 WITH the high-speed internet connection and most all channels in HD? Eek
    Reading is fundamental. Generally it's done left to right and top to bottom. Wink When you skip to the bottom you miss the end of the first sentence and entire 2nd sentence (aka the answer to your question).
    quote:
    one of the 4 streaming live TV options. I switched to Hulu Live this past month
    I merely provided the OP with a list of 4 choices and corresponding prices. You only need one and depending on what the wife and BIL watch it ranges from $25 (w/o $5 sports) to $55.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Three Generations
    of Service
    Picture of PHPaul
    posted Hide Post
    Money is not the (main, anyway...) point.

It's the aggravation from her cable news addiction. I have to listen to blow-by-blow accounts of every bloviating talking head out there.

Again, if I gave a shit, I'd be sitting there too.