SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Wife-"Hmmm...I'll just mow right over this white plastic thingy"...updated, finally fixed on Page 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife-"Hmmm...I'll just mow right over this white plastic thingy"...updated, finally fixed on Page 2 Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
$1,600 Eek

You're a cop, arrest that SOB for thievery!!!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Post pics. Let the SIGBORG collective analyze and tell you elebintyzillion ways to do it. Big Grin
Big Grin I won't make repeated posts of "dig a little deeper and post new photo"

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
The cleanout in my new house sticks a good 8" out of the ground, if not more. I have the parts to cut it down to a more reasonable height and replace the cap, but I haven't done it yet. Partially laziness, but partially because the lawncare folks around here will try to drive over anything that isn't so tall as to be painfully obvious that it won't fit under the deck. I'm worried that if I DO trim it down, they are just gonna destroy it with a mower like your wife did.

- Bret

Posts: 2464 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
worried that if I DO trim it down, they are just gonna destroy it with a mower like your wife did.

They don't leave them up in the air so that people avoid them. They leave them up to allow everything to settle properly and so that you know where they are.

I have several that are now completely flush with the ground. You can still see the caps and remove them if necessary, but being flush with the ground will not come in contact with mower blades.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The biggest challenge is time. My work days/nights are too full to get any projects done. I do have a few days off after tomorrow night (that were earmarked for a short vacation with the family) and may tackle it. My wife had a neighborhood handyman quote us on it and it actually sounded too low.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife had a neighborhood handyman quote us on it and it actually sounded too low

I bet if you ask him nicely, he will raise the price.

Wink

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Well...spent about 4 hours this afternoon/evening digging it up and fixing it.

Much of that time was spent cutting the vertical pipe, which was a huge PITA to get to without digging a massive hole around it (and I found some other wire down there that made me nervous to get too dig-happy).

Then once we got everything together, we were 1/4" off due to the new angle (I was surprised to find that the pipe was not straight from the clean-out to the house, but rather did an immediate 45 degree turn).

TWO trips to Home Depot later...had to re-cut a glued section and use a more shallow angle, and the damned thing still was almost impossible to get. There just was almost no give in either pipe to separate them enough to get the second coupling mated.

But now it's done and re-buried. Hopefully I didn't fudge it up.

And I got stung by something in the middle of it all. Mad

The wife appreciates why I was so aggravated when I saw what she did now, though.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
(and I found some other wire down there that made me nervous to get too dig-happy).

Likely a tracer wire.

So by my math your wife owes you a new SIG, you just saved her $1,600.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
(and I found some other wire down there that made me nervous to get too dig-happy).

Likely a tracer wire.

So by my math your wife owes you a new SIG, you just saved her $1,600.

There was a tracer wire and something contained in an approx 1-2” diameter red pipe/tube. I dug verrrry carefully after finding that.

Wife was quite helpful, I’ll say. I’ll milk it a tad bit more though Wink

-JALLEN

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Glad you were able to fix it yourself. Contractors see you are in a bind and will charge more than they should in cases like yours.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
PVC pipe and couplers are very easy to work with. You really should use this repair to acquire a battery or electric Milwaukee Sawzall or a DeWalt. They are made for fast and easy cutting in tight areas.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the cleanout flush with the ground? Just curious.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Spray paint that thing a bright orange!

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rate my home related jobs by how many trips to Home Depot it takes. Two trips would be a relatively “easy” job.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Much of that time was spent cutting the vertical pipe, which was a huge PITA to get to without digging a massive hole around it

It's a little late now, but there's a tool that lets you cut pvc pipe from the inside. It costs about $10. You only dig the hole big enough to get the primer and glue swabs around the pipe.

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
There was a tracer wire and something contained in an approx 1-2” diameter red pipe/tube.

You have natural gas service, by chance?

Ours is yellow, which is the colour recommended by the American Public Works Association, but there's no formal standard.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I have fixed hundreds, please email me and I will give you my phone number and can walk you thru it. If the stand pipe is split it will need to be dug up, but again I would be glad to point you in the right direction.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP fixed it several posts above. You must have missed it.
Well...spent about 4 hours this afternoon/evening digging it up and fixing it.

Much of that time was spent cutting the vertical pipe, which was a huge PITA to get to without digging a massive hole around it (and I found some other wire down there that made me nervous to get too dig-happy).

Then once we got everything together, we were 1/4" off due to the new angle (I was surprised to find that the pipe was not straight from the clean-out to the house, but rather did an immediate 45 degree turn).

TWO trips to Home Depot later...had to re-cut a glued section and use a more shallow angle, and the damned thing still was almost impossible to get. There just was almost no give in either pipe to separate them enough to get the second coupling mated.

But now it's done and re-buried. Hopefully I didn't fudge it up[/QUOTE]

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post