SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Wife-"Hmmm...I'll just mow right over this white plastic thingy"...updated, finally fixed on Page 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife-"Hmmm...I'll just mow right over this white plastic thingy"...updated, finally fixed on Page 2 Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
First time mowing our new yard.

I got the lawnmower out and cranked, made a lap around to figure out the height I wanted, and my wife took over. She enjoys mowing. No argument.

Ten minutes later I hear a solid THUNK. Figured she hit some yard debris that I missed earlier.

Nope. She thought she could mow over the sewer cleanout cap. And she didn't just decapitate it, she managed to break the damn pipe all the way down to the split.

I didn't cuss her, but I cussed.

I don't have the time to fix it. Or the experience, really. It's got to be dug up and cut off in two directions and new pipe cut and attached. I figure that's $300+ gone (and a hole in our front yard).

Guess the replacement knife is going to have to wait Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chongosuerte,

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing, but bent the shaft on the mower. That was not a cheap fix either. Shit happens.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
My wife used to let me help with the laundry until I turned her angora sweater into something that might fit a toddler. You'll probably come out cheaper on this.

Just some jobs one person in the household oughta do and not leave to others. Sorry, man.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago my Dad spent a good chuck of time meticulously rebuilding his old Ariens snowblower.

Not only did he do a complete engine rebuild but he cleaned, sandblasted and repainted most of the chassis and by the time winder hit it looked brand new.

That was the same winter he decided to teach me how to use it and on my first pass in making a path in the yard I promptly sucked up a large piece of Flagstone which made an ungodly noise and stopped me in my tracks.

Luckily it was just some bent metal and a sheer pin but I was back on shovel duty after that

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I did the same thing, but bent the shaft on the mower. That was not a cheap fix either. Shit happens.

My dad did the same with a Honda self propelled, but on an unsighted tree root.

Tried replacing the crankshaft, but it still had a vibration.

Bought a Honda powered garden mower for less than a replacement Honda engine, swapped the engines, sold garden mower, nearly broke even.

ETA: That Honda mower is still running great. Did my yard with it yesterday.
Best I can remember is that it's around 15yrs old, trouble free & low maintenance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15279 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I first use the riding mower to do the front and back yard, then come back with a push mower to get spots that I can't get to. This week was the first time I had to use the weed wacker (could have done it sooner but I was being lazy). First I head to the two A/C units. The front and sides were done with the push mower but behind needed the weed wacker. Soon as I started I hit two small wires that work from the thermostat and ripped them apart. Weed wacker was thrown about 20'. Not the way to start the day!

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If you have not already ponied up for repairs, you could wrap it with sealing tape and wait to pay for repairs when you have a windfall, or as part of the repairs that would require access to the clean-out.

Something along the lines of this.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Na...ck-1208952/100206050

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That should learn you ,womens know house work,now get in the kitchen and make dinner. Wink

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
First quote: $1,600 plus parts.

About double the high side of my guess.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
PVC? Super easy to do yourself. The digging will be the worst of it by far.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Give her the shovel and let her enjoy digging...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What the monkey said. You can slowly do the digging over time. The tape should work. That quote is ridiculously high.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
PVC? Super easy to do yourself. The digging will be the worst of it by far.

No joke. Post a couple pictures and I’ll bet some folks can walk you through it. That seems not just high but down right criminal for the situation as you explained it.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
...she didn't just decapitate it, she managed to break the damn pipe all the way down to the split.

Are you certain? Or could it be just shy of the junction?

That'll make a big difference in the degree of difficulty fixing it. If you've got a couple inches of the vertical still intact you can just cut it off cleanly and couple a new piece onto that.

quote:
I don't have the time to fix it.

You can probably get away with sigmonkey's idea until you can get the time.

quote:
Or the experience, really.

PVC pipe is trivially easy to work with. Just make sure to dry-fit beforehand. Once the parts are together with the adhesive, they aren't coming apart again.

quote:
It's got to be dug up and cut off in two directions and new pipe cut and attached.

Even if you really do have to replace the cleanout adaptor, rather than just replace the vertical pipe: It's still not a challenging job--other than the digging. The digging will be the worst part.

And you will want to allow yourself plenty of elbow room down there. (See "dry fit," above.)

The quote you got sounds like a "we really don't want to do it" quote.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
For $1,600, I'd rent a mini excavator or a tractor with a backhoe, fix it and still have money in the bank.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Post pics. Let the SIGBORG collective analyze and tell you elebintyzillion ways to do it. Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Yeah you better get that fixed before a snake slides in and comes out the toilet. Cool

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Yeah you better get that fixed before a snake slides in and comes out the toilet. Cool

And ruin the fun when the wife sits down?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Hell, I was doing some planting in my front flower bed when i discovered they had never capped my sewer clean out. They just crammed a rag in, set a rock on top, and buried it.

When I berated them into coming out and installing it properly, they installed it with a good eight inches sticking out of the ground. Looked awful.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hell pay my airfare and ill come fix it for free!

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post