SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Rental car keys
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rental car keys Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
Why do rental car companies hand you a collection of keys for your car that are on a crimped cable ring?

It seems that every single time I’ve rented a car for work, vacation, or insurance related car repair, both ignition keys, and more often than not, the third door-only key are all on the same ring that are made not to be opened? What possible good can it do? If you lose one key, you lose them ALL. Why not give you just one instead? Or two on a split ring? It defies all logic! I suspect it is because they can charge you a ridiculous fee if you lose the set, and they have a spare at the office. I always pry the damn crimp apart and give them their keys back in separate pairs. There, I feel better.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because rental cars rarely stay at the same location, and no location wants a bunch of keys laying around that don't belong to a car currently on their lot. If someone loses the keys, they get charged for the locksmith to make new ones anyways, so no skin off of their back.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Every once in a while you get a car with keyless start, at least then you can pop the hard key out, which usually is where the 2 sets are conjoined.
Toss the 2nd key in your EDC bag & the loose remote in your pocket.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15281 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Because rental cars rarely stay at the same location, and no location wants a bunch of keys laying around that don't belong to a car currently on their lot. If someone loses the keys, they get charged for the locksmith to make new ones anyways, so no skin off of their back.

Ah, but if the keys are joined via a connecting ring, like a mini-caribinar, there wouldn’t be keys at different locations. The renter would still be responsible for them, and if you lose one you aren’t stranded because you lost them all at once. The rental company still gets to screw the rent or on the replacement overcharge, and they don’t lose a vehicle from their fleet for as long as it takes to cut and program the new key.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dick0550
posted Hide Post
They don't care about you losing them all or not, it's more so keeping them all together for when the car is returned to a different location, or for having all the keys when they sell the car later.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Posts: 281 | Location: Culpeper, VA | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
It irritates me too. I rent from National and get to pick my car. Most often my pick is based on the car with the lowest profile key ring.

If I’m going to be somewhere for a week or longer I’ll cut the key ring.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When renting, I bring an extra split ring with me. I then cut the stupid cabled mess off with my Leatherman and build my own key ring. When I return the car, I use a cable tie to re-package the mess and tell the clerk I was forced to repair their mess when their cable broke.
No problem thus far.
Just make sure you keep track of the components of the mess so you can turn it back in.
I hate the plastic tag.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I frecking hate that. I don't want to try and stuff two sets of keys in my pocket.

Last rental they had the two sets of keys connected with a simple split ring. Simple to seperate the keys. I've also cut the dam crimped metal cable before.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the thread drift, but I have a related car rental rant.

I've noticed that, no matter what car I select when I book the rental, they never seem to have that model when I show up. I know that they have the little disclaimer "or similar model", but what the car rental company considers "similar" is usually an inferior vehicle.

I'm sure it's been this way for years, but it's really starting to irritate me.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
The easiest way to separate the keys is to cut through where they are connected. Much easier than cutting through the wire.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Good rant.

I just cut the wire and return the keys on a loop of paracord. Haven't received any complaints about it yet.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can’t believe they don’t have a main operations building that stores titles/spare keys/ etc... when you go to sell it you always have your title and spare key together and you’re ready to rock and roll. I understand that’s a lot of keys to store, but rental car companies are huge operations. I’m sure they can figure it out.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post