SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Deet insect repellent dissolves stuff!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deet insect repellent dissolves stuff! Login/Join 
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted
Be careful where you spray and how you store insect repellents containing DEET.

I had a bottle of pump spray insect repellent in my trunk for fishing and the damn stuff dissolved the cap on the bottle and leaked out and dissolved the vinyl coating on the clamps on my jumper cables. I guess I'm lucky it didn't dissolve the insulation on the conductors.

DEET is a solvent and can dissolve some watch crystals, auto paint clear coat, plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, laminated fabrics like Gore-Tex, painted or varnished surfaces, and nail polish.

If you have it on your hands, be careful what you touch.

From now on I'm only buying the aerosol cans.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Yeah...DEET will also ruin a couple of nice Tervis Tumblers Frown...not mention pretty much anything else that is plastic.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it sure does.

Many plastic tool handles, fishing rod handles and pistol grips bear the fingerprints of the owners who applied post-Vietnam era 99% DEET.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Don't get it on the steering wheel of your pickup truck.

Frown

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
That's why Mrs.BurtonRW and I use picaridin in the jungle rather than DEET. Keeps the bugs off just as well without the nasty melting of polymers. Handy, since most of our technical clothing is polyester.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Did it's level best to dissolve the armrest in my truck. Good for lifting that nice rubberized finish off the dash too.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any trouble with DEET and pistol grips????

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use the stuff but it seems to be all that's available locally. None of the alternatives are an option.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Twice a year (at Exx's shoot) I wear 99% Deet like cologne.

Risky? Yes.

Worth the potential risk when the mosquitoes/ticks swarm?

Yes.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
DEET in the form of military issued repellent will absolutely melt the plastic stock of an M-16 rifle! Smile

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Very possibly.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks I will use other stuff then. I will suffer the itch.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I know it is death to a fly line. I use Ultrathon after it was recommended by a couple of my friends who are licensed guides. Keeps away everything including mosquitoes and black flies.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
RainX also dissolves stuff, Like the leather seat in my newish Tundra. Just an FYI.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
RainX is bad for paint, too

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I sure would avoid rubber over molded grips. The original grips that came with a P-225 classic were dis colored, I'd bet money it was DEET related. It just had that look.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
It will dissolve skin as well.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
I wouldn't use the stuff but it seems to be all that's available locally. None of the alternatives are an option.

Here you go!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...picaridin&psc=1&th=1

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember reading sometime ago not to get it on a finished wooden gunstock .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The expensive coating on your expensive prescription lenses is also at risk.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post