SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Advertising hype gone wild
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advertising hype gone wild Login/Join 
posted
What ever happened to plain honest descriptions of a product and its benefits? This is the current description for a set of pliers for sale on Sams Club website.

"The Tactix Pro 7-piece plier set combines strength and strategy while giving you the pliers you need to get the job. The set comes with five full-sized pliers and two mini-pliers, giving you versatility in your plier selection. Made from high-quality steel, these pliers are equipped with the Tactix Pro finish ensuring longevity in the tool. The ergonomic handles provide you with a superior grip leaving you satisfied before, during and after your work is completed."

A set of pliers that can "leave me satisfied" even before I use them. Now that is a set of pliers. Do I have to confess to my wife after using them??

What is the most ridiculous or over hyped ad you have seen recently?

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If advertised properly, you can sell cat turds to people.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
LOL @ "Tactix Pro"!

Does it come with a pair of HD Special Ops sunglasses?

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgtshuter:
LOL @ "Tactix Pro"!

Does it come with a pair of HD Special Ops sunglasses?

Well the ad does say they come with a "strategy". That is same as tactics right? Never realized that I needed a strategy for using pliers.

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing Tactix Pro's are made in China so that should tell you all you need to know.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thinking of overhyped ads reminded me of the Herters Catalog in the early 1960's.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever belong to a cheese or wine of the month club? Some of the most wordy people I have ever encountered.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig operator:
Anyone ever belong to a cheese or wine of the month club? Some of the most wordy people I have ever encountered.

For sure. I've also seen people wax eloquent over coffee: "Hints of this and that, blah, blah, blah...and a nutty finish."

"Nutty finish..." he sez. More than you realize, Scooter...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
If advertised properly, you can sell cat turds to people.

Reminds me of an old George Carlin line.

Nail two things together that nobody has nailed together before, and some schmuck will buy it.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Olympic Games are hyped to no end. They are advertising them and they don't even start until 2020.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the dog turds are pink, you can charge women more for them.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You’re misreading. “ leave you satisfied before... your work is completed.”

The ad writer learned from the now defunct sharper image company. They became successful from taking full page magazine ads and writing about crappy watches. I know, I bought one of their early watches.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Marketing guys get paid by the word.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:

What is the most ridiculous or over hyped ad you have seen recently?

Not recent (clearly) but for many years I was in the habit of making my dad mix tapes for Christmas from the music I'd accumulated over the previous year. He was into it and frequently commented on how much he enjoyed that.

At one point I came home from the store with a package of 3 *blank* TDK SA-90s. Blank.

The little bag they came in, in addition to touting the clearly superior technical attributes of the contents, bore this gem:

"Perfect for recording."

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
If the dog turds are pink, you can charge women more for them.

A friend in Reading Pa who owned a high end Hair Salon in the '70's told me: "If Women knew what they wanted, I would be out of business".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post