SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate thieves. And apparently Ford
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate thieves. And apparently Ford Login/Join 
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted
I have a 2016 Ford Mustang. Part of the trim package were these little lamps on the side view mirrors that project a little mustang onto the ground...apparently called a puddle lamp

Coming out of a movie the other night my best friend says “dude what happened to your mirror” and I look and some asshole has ripped the panel that holds the lamp off the bottom of the side view mirror. I can see where they unplugged the lamp and everything

Motherfucker

So I go to ford today to see about buying a replacement

Yeah, sorry, we don’t sell just that little panel THAT CLEARLY SNAPS ON AND PULLS OFF BECAUSE NOT ALL MUSTANGS COME WITH IT

You have to buy a whole new side view mirror

That will run you $500

Oh, and since it’s the same color as your car you then have to get a body shop to paint and blend it. Who knows how much that fucking costs

The parts guy actually says: “yeah I’ve heard of people stealing these because you can’t just buy the part but the wiring is there to just replace the standard ones”

You, sir, also work for motherfuckers

It doesn’t effect functionality. Or safety. But fuck, it was MY lamp on MY car

I’m going to try salvage yards. But this is a fairly new model and a lesser option at that

It just pisses me off

Motherfuckers

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Yep, had a cocksucker steal the hood ornament off my brand new Buick Riviera in 1975.

I'm still pissed off about it.

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I too hate thieves. A few years ago some asswipe tried to yank out the plastic part of the trunk lid on my '13 (presumably because they wanted to access the trunk latch directly; joke's on him because Ford covered that with a layer of sheet metal on my model year). Ford wants about $800 for the OE replacement; a T-15 driver costs $5 and a roll of double sided tape costs $4.

Check ebay for the missing panel, or worst case scenario the mirror assembly. Whenever I need something I can wait on I go to the dealership or go on the Ford parts site and find the part number, then punch it into Google, Amazon and eBay. Sometimes you can find a dealer in another part of the country that has it for less, sometimes places like CJ Pony Parts will have the OEM stuff, too, and it'll still be cheaper than direct from Ford.

By the way, there should be a way to get the painted sections off the rest of the assembly because there are companies offering direct replacements for them.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
Insurance claim?

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I ranted here a couple months ago. The bastages smashed the passenger door window to get into my 2001 GMC delivery truck.

Ransacked the cab, it looked like a few hand grenades 'sploded in there. Broke the unlocked storage compartment cover because they were in too much of a hurry to figure out how to work the latch. Ripped a panel off the dashboard to steal the air bag.

This, while it was parked at the airport.

There is a rumor going around (I have absolutely no idea who started it, but I hope that the right people hear it) that V-Tail has insomnia and a shotgun.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
Yep, had a cocksucker steal the hood ornament off my brand new Buick Riviera in 1975.

I'm still pissed off about it.

My first car was a 77 Riviera, not only did some dirtbag steal my hood ornament, they also stole my wire hubcaps.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Pay it Backwards...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
I feel for you. I've got a 2006 Mustang GT with a Saleen supercharger, tricked out suspension, etc. Lots of hard work and money invested. Woe be to any reprobate that puts their greasy hands on it.

Low-life thieves have no compunction over who they screw over or what they ruin to liberate something shiny. The only thing they do understand is getting their ass kicked or being tossed into jail. In the early 80's I worked for a VW-Mazda dealership that was located a bit too close to a miscreant neighborhood. About that time digital tuner car radios were popular and VW had just introduced a nice tuner/cassette deck they called a "Heidelberg". Once we got a lot full of cars with these radios the mofos and their fences decided they really liked them too.

Removing the radios was not easy (for security) so the thieves derived a unique method. Since the dashboard had a bit of overhang to shade gauges and the radio they would push the seat back, crouch, put their feet on the dash overhang and push. This popped the dash open like a clam so they could extract the radio. They would hit the lot about 3-4:00 am and grab as many as they could. Fixing the damage these cretins caused involved a new radio, a dash panel, trim and a few other parts to the tune of a $2500 claim for each car. In 1980s dollars. A few bills were higher because they cracked the windshield in the process. The scumbags got 20-30 cars over a few weeks before police finally nailed them.

It didn't help sales because it tied up inventory and also damages had to be disclosed (due to $ amount) to prospective customers. The corker is that when the carrier renewed the dealership's insurance later that year they required manned security or a huge rate increase. The dealership just hired the security and passed the cost onto their customers.

Nowadays factory radios are too much trouble so they steal air bags, catalytic convertors, bumpers, grilles, tail lamps and anything else that unbolts quickly. A new generation of slimeballs stealing, just stealing different shit.

Some people think these savages shouldn't be shot over property theft. I won't state my opinion publicly on that subject.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ When I worked for the local Chevrolet dealer in college, we had 6 trucks on cinder blocks one morning. Something to the tune of nearly $2k per truck to fix. No damage luckily.

Prior to my employment there, they had multiple tailgates stolen over a couple week period.
Adding a hose clamp to the release side stopped that practice rather effectively. A $0.99 solution for a $1,200 problem per truck (tailgate with backup camera plus paint).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin The Dealer has to eat too you know! Eek

$68 on ebay. Smile

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-...AOSwy3NZZRXa&vxp=mtr

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Insurance claim (vandalism/theft). Then I’d proceed to get a proper text messaging alarm From Viper or Compustar.

This kind of thing pisses me off as much as it does you. It’s why I have a daily driver and park it at the movie theater. You couldn’t pay me to park my Ford Performance vehicle there. Malls, movie theater, hell no.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I came out of the theater and my Tacoma tailgate was half latched. Saved by the hose clamp. Someone stole the LX emblem from the back of my 88 Crown Vic.
I say cut off a hand

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I don't own a truck, but will shortly.

What is the hose clamp trick?

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
AskSmith asked the question that I was thinking about.

Inquiring minds want to know.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:

Put a hose clamp on the quick release hinge side of the tailgate, the part that's slotted to let the tailgate be removed.

Your average thief likely doesn't have the tools handy & is looking for a quick grab & run.

There are companies that also sell tailgate locks that achieve the same effect, for more $$$

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

$68 on ebay. Smile

If that's really OEM, the dealer isn't just eating, he's either flat out lieing or incompetent.

quote:

Linky Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

$68 on ebay. Smile

If that's really OEM, the dealer isn't just eating, he's either flat out lieing or incompetent.

quote:

Linky
Razz

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Tucson on Grant near I-10 there's a theatre complex that's become a feeding table for smash and grab thieves at night.

Thieves have up to two hours to snoop, smash and grab then hit the Interstate with their loot.

Add to the mix the TPD is short handed, thus can't be everywhere.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I had a deer knock the mirror off my F-150 that is a heated power folding mirror and the body shop cost from ford was 900. Luckily it was covered by insurance along with the other 6k in body work......Mirrors be expensive.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
Someone went to steal a good friend's (not to be named) Harley one night. This friend is a light sleeper. He greeted the thieves in his driveway with his revolver.

Story got around. Thieves (motorcycle anyway) apparently operate on the principal of "will the owner catch us and shoot?" or "Oh hell no that sob will shoot us." Seems to be an adequate measure to deter theft.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post