SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate thieves. And apparently Ford
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate thieves. And apparently Ford Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
I don't own a truck, but will shortly.

What is the hose clamp trick?

Put a hose clamp on the quick release hinge side of the tailgate, the part that's slotted to let the tailgate be removed.

To refine that one step further, turn the hose clamp around, so the end of the clamp that you turn to tighten is facing the truck bed. Get one with a hex head, and you can use a small wrench to get the final tightening, and have it good and snug up against the truck.

oldbill123, there is an aftermarket tailgate handle that has a built in lock. It took me about an hour to swap. Mine has the back-up camera, and the replacement maintains the camera, just moves it to the other end of the handle.

When I travel to the valley (Walmart, etc), I lock the handle, then back up as close as I can to the bollard, using my camera as a guide (wheelchair spots have that bollard at the back).

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
The problem is that's the lamp

That's easy

The piece of trim that snaps onto the bottom of the mirror and holds the lamp is what isn't sold separately

If you can picture a black piece of plastic in th shape of the mirror with a hole in I that holds that lamp...that's what isn't sold separstely

quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Big Grin Big Grin The Dealer has to eat too you know! Eek

$68 on ebay. Smile

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-...AOSwy3NZZRXa&vxp=mtr

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would contact the email seller and see what he says. Here is a cover but it is probably not for your mirror:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-N...a:g:2H4AAOSwBp5ZuUkS

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Big Grin Big Grin The Dealer has to eat too you know! Eek

$68 on ebay. Smile

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-...AOSwy3NZZRXa&vxp=mtr

and hey, it's scratched in exactly the same spot as the one that got stolen!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the help. If you look at the third picture in that eBay link that is basically the piece that's gone...except mine has a hole in for the lamp to mount on

This time of year is always crazy busy for us, so I just haven't had time to take to a salvage yard, get out my tools and go wandering....probably won't get that far til spring, honestly

I do really appreciate all the help and support you guys have offered

quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I would contact the email seller and see what he says. Here is a cover but it is probably not for your mirror:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-N...a:g:2H4AAOSwBp5ZuUkS

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That happened to a dealer that parks spare inventory in the parking garage where my wife works. A bunch of Buicks had their wheels stolen. Thieves didn't even use blocks, they put a bunch of rocks under the cars

quote:
^ When I worked for the local Chevrolet dealer in college, we had 6 trucks on cinder blocks one morning. Something to the tune of nearly $2k per truck to fix. No damage luckily.

Prior to my employment there, they had multiple tailgates stolen over a couple week period.
Adding a hose clamp to the release side stopped that practice rather effectively. A $0.99 solution for a $1,200 problem per truck (tailgate with backup camera plus paint).

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Had a nice, but well-travelled TrailBlazer. Didn't worry overmuch about thieves. Was careful about parking, but not crazy. Now I have a nice, two-year-old, low-mileage Jeep. Now I worry. I worry that somebody'll steal stuff from or off it. I worry about door dings and shopping carts.

*sigh*...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 70's a guy I worked with had the dream payback occur when someone broke the drivers side door window to reach into his window-less van to grab a case of tapes. Sitting in the back was his dog, a wolf-hybrid from Alaska. Blood was spilt all over the drivers seat, on the door, and on the concrete of the Northgate Shopping Mall parking lot.

If only this happened more often.

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Put a hose clamp on the quick release hinge side of the tailgate, the part that's slotted to let the tailgate be removed.

Your average thief likely doesn't have the tools handy & is looking for a quick grab & run.

There are companies that also sell tailgate locks that achieve the same effect, for more $$$

I've got the Master Lock version on my F-150.
http://www.masterlock.com/pers...-use/product/8253DAT

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Not sure how much you are missing. American Muscle has after market kits. https://www.americanmuscle.com...keywords=Puddle+lsmp

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
quote:

Your average thief likely doesn't have the tools handy & is looking for a quick grab & run.

There are companies that also sell tailgate locks that achieve the same effect, for more $$$

I've got the Master Lock version on my F-150.
http://www.masterlock.com/pers...-use/product/8253DAT

I started doing this a couple of years ago after watching a YouTube video of a guy walking off with a full size tailgate with camera in about 30 seconds. Lock that bad boy too.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Had a nice, but well-travelled TrailBlazer. Didn't worry overmuch about thieves. Was careful about parking, but not crazy. Now I have a nice, two-year-old, low-mileage Jeep. Now I worry. I worry that somebody'll steal stuff from or off it. I worry about door dings and shopping carts.

*sigh*...

This is why I run two vehicles. My DD, nobody pays it any mind whatsoever. I can park it anywhere, not worry at all. Have one cheap one to drive everyday, and then get your nice deal for the weekend. With both, both will last longer than one so it pays for itself or themselves, whatever, I think you get what I’m trying to say. My weekend ride, I park only where I don’t have to worry.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We live in a real quiet town here in NJ next to a private college. Never any problems- except one year. Seems to be a rash of driveway car break-ins where change and loose items were being liberated from the cars.

Being a printer at the time, I always seem to have a lot of loose single edge razor blades that just happened to find their way into my change holder. Nothing spectacular, but I'm comfortable with the situation. One morning I get into the car and notice LOTS of blood all over the dash, car seat, emergency brake and OUTSIDE the car.

Seems the break-ins stopped after that

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Add to the mix the TPD is short handed, thus can't be everywhere.

WHY are they short-handed? Maybe because nobody wants to work for a shitty department, or their hiring practices prefer to hire people with IQs equal to their shoe size?

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Back in the 70's I did a job at a Brockway truck plant. A manager there told us the only parts they kept under lock and key were the hood ornaments. If I remember correctly it was a Husky.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3811 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
...rumor that V-Tail has insomnia and a shotgun.

This works better if you also have a few acres and a backhoe. Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post