SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Any concerns using p239 with Bar-sto barrel for carry gun?

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any concerns using p239 with Bar-sto barrel for carry gun? Login/Join 
Picture of buggsboy
posted
Friends, I have a Bar-Sto 9mm conversion barrel on my P239 357 Sig. This rig shoots 9mm ammo extremely accurately, and has been 100% reliable with all brands and types (FMJ and HP) of 9mm ammo. I was advised by my ccw/chl instructor to not use this weapon/barrel combo as my carry weapon (possible reliability issues). I want to use it for carry anyway. Do any of you armorers, veteran Sig owners see a problem? Thanks

Posts: 672 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I have a 239 .40 SAS DAK that i sometimes use with a BarSto 9mm conversion barrel. Never had any issues with it and would use it for carry if I needed to.

With any pistol: It's up to you to shoot however many rounds from it (100s of FMJ and 50 JHP?) in order to satisfy yourself that it's reliable. everyone has a different number of rounds that makes them comfortable... But it's that shooting that establishes the comfort - not whether or not an instructor says anything.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3517 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I agree with the advice to test it and then carry it if you want. That’s no different than testing and relying on a factory model. It’s not as if you’ll find yourself in a self-defense situation and the gun is suddenly going to develop a mind of its own and say to itself, “Oh, hey; I can’t do this.”

“The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
— Bertrand Russell

Posts: 42579 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I have a lot of confidence in this weapon, and I shoot it very well. For me, anyway.

Posts: 672 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I have a P239 SAS DAK with three different caliber setups- 9mm, .357 and .40. In all of those configurations I have never had a feed/firing malfunction. In the .40 (original) setup I've now likely got over 3k rounds+ thru the pistol in all in conditions- all types of ammo, rain/sub zero temps/even snow outside shooting environments. No issues- rock solid.
I would use the number of rounds thru the pistol (with no misfeeds/issues) as a metric.
(I wouldn't likely trust it without having at least 350 to 500 rounds or more of a couple different round profiles wadcutter, hollowpoint, etc)...
If there is a problem, you'll likely encounter it within a 500 round population. Most all of us do the same testing with any new firearm-

Posts: 1347 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post