SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P220 recoil spring questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 recoil spring questions Login/Join 
posted
What is the difference between the green recoil spring and the black one for the P220 combat. Also, what recoil spring for the P220 in 9mm. Thanks

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Can't answer the green/black question, but I would think that a 9mm 220 would use the same orange spring that the 9mm 226 uses.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I don't know the answer to the green/black question either, however, I may take exception to JAFO's answer on the 9mm. My 1982 folded slide uses a single strand recoil spring, not the orange multi-strand. It may depend on exactly which 9mm P220 you have.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Here is the recoil spring that came with the 9mm

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's like mine. Does it really need to be replaced?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, Just wanted info for later down the road. Thanks for the info guys.

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I don't know the answer to the green/black question either, however, I may take exception to JAFO's answer on the 9mm. My 1982 folded slide uses a single strand recoil spring, not the orange multi-strand. It may depend on exactly which 9mm P220 you have.

Interesting. Any insight into why they have different springs? Are the slides that much different in weight?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any insight into why they have different springs?

JAFO,
It may just be due to the age of the 9mm guns, i.e. pre-multistand springs. I recall old posts where guys said the inside of the slide nose is smaller on old folded slide guns. I really have no idea. I'll worry about it when I need a recoil spring.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I recall old posts where guys said the inside of the slide nose is smaller on old folded slide guns.

Yes, only the 9mm/38Super slide is different & multi-strand springs will not fit. I was able to find some old stock Wolff single strand springs several years ago.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4264 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prince Herman
posted Hide Post
later production has a green recoil spring rated at 20 lbs.; Earlier models had a black recoil spring rated at 15 lbs.; Super .38 models had a 14 lbs. recoil spring and; the Browning BDA .45 had a 14 lbs. recoil spring.

Posts: 512 | Location: S.E. Pa. | Registered: October 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post