SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Swapped sights on my P6, need help.

Moderators: Chris Orndorff

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Swapped sights on my P6, need help. Login/Join 
Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted
Picked up a sweet little P6 at a gun show about a year and a half ago for $366! I wanted a beater to carry and it quickly became my EDC.

Detail stripped it, greased her up good. Off to the range!

Great trigger, flawless, etc, typical SIG but I felt like it was hitting a little low and left of the aim point.

My questionable trigger technique would account for some of that but I noticed the front sight was a #8.

Researched that a bit. Figured I could manage a sight swap and wound up buying a #6 sight and a SIG sight pusher (MGW 307).

Followed the directions, lined everything up... removal/installation was easy. Maybe too easy... now the sight shifts/rattles back and forth about an 8th" in the dovetail slot.

Common problem? Did I do something wrong? What's the fix?

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can say for sure you did wrong was buy the incorrect height front sight. You said you were shooting low, so you need either a taller rear sight or a shorter front sight. In the SIG sight number system, "numbers up, shots up". A #6 front sight is taller and will lower your point of impact. Actually, a #8 front sight is correct for your gun. I suggest you reinstall the #8 front sight and start from there. Use Loctite, if needed, once you get the gun sighted in.

Point of impact is also afffected by where you aim. SIG sights are intended to be center hold, i.e. cover the target center with the front sight dot. If you were holding below center, you will shoot low, of course. Windage is easily adjusted with the rear sight.

How low are you shooting and at what distance?

Posts: 10837 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
The only thing I can say for sure you did wrong was buy the incorrect height front sight. You said you were shooting low, so you need either a taller rear sight or a shorter front sight. In the SIG sight number system, "numbers up, shots up". A #6 front sight is taller and will lower your point of impact. Actually, a #8 front sight is correct for your gun. I suggest you reinstall the #8 front sight and start from there. Use Loctite, if needed, once you get the gun sighted in.

Point of impact is also afffected by where you aim. SIG sights are intended to be center hold, i.e. cover the target center with the front sight dot. If you were holding below center, you will shoot low, of course. Windage is easily adjusted with the rear sight.

How low are you shooting and at what distance?

Thanks. Wow. The good news is that the #8 sight is back in place, nice and snug. The bad news is, after all these years, I can still misdiagnose a problem, confidently do exactly the wrong thing - and make matters worse.

1. I've mistakenly been using the "sight image 2" and did not know that SIGs were set up for the "combat" sight picture. My only, and somewhat lame, excuse being that my first pistol was a 1911 and that's how I was taught.

2. Can't explain how I thought the #6 front sight was standard for 9mm SIGs or how I misunderstood the size relationship between it and the #8!

Sucks to be ignorant. Glad I can come here to get educated! Thanks again!