SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Several questions about the SP2022 parts kit versus the Sig Pro Armorer's video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Several questions about the SP2022 parts kit versus the Sig Pro Armorer's video Login/Join 
posted
I have a used 9MM SP2022 that I recently got and purchased the following factory parts kit from Midwest Gun Works:

https://www.midwestgunworks.co...i/prod/2022-943-PKIT

I had purchased the CW Weapons Sig Pro armorers DVD awhile ago and sat down to watch it today before tearing into the project. While the video is a great resource, I am wondering about the following items that were not discussed or were not clear in the video. Any help with the questions below is greatly appreciated.

1.) Since the kit is universal in the sense of caliber (9/40/357) there are two recoil springs provided. Presumably one for 9 the other for a gun in 40 or 357. They are not marked, have no paint coloring and are a lot darker in color compared to the recoil spring in my gun. Any guidance on which is the correct one for 9MM?

2.) The kit contains a new firing pin. Is there a guideline for replacing the firing pin? If so what is it? Likewise what are the guidelines about the firing pin spring? One is also included in the kit.

3.) The kit contains a new firing pin positioning pin. In the video, this pin is solid. The new pin appears to be made from rolled steel. Has Sig changed this? If so, does removal from the slide occur in the same manner as shown in the video i.e. right to left?

4.) The new firing pin spring in the kit has one end with a slight taper. In the video it is not clear if that end goes on the firing pin, what is the correct orientation? Also, should I be concerned that the new spring does not lock on to the firing pin like the example shown in the video?

5.) Are there any guidelines for replacement of the trigger bar pusher spring?

6.) Are there any guidelines for replacement of the mainspring?

Again many thanks if the collective here can shed some light on these questions. If easier you can e-mail me directly at the address shown in my profile.

Posts: 339 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never did spend much time with the SP, but I'll try to answer your questions...

1. I would think the stronger spring would have more coils and/or be of thicker material.

2. I don't know that I've ever seen a replacement schedule for a fp in any gun, save for when one breaks. Although due to the design of the fp and how it interacts with the fppp, I've seen some seriously peened fp's (in P-series guns). Same for the fp spring. It won't hurt to replace the spring, and if the fp is peened significantly, replace it too.

3. Yes, SIG changed this pin in all of their pistols. Removal direction doesn't matter as the spiral pin doesn't have a splined head like the original.

4. The smaller end of the spring goes on the fp first. No worries about it not fitting tightly.

5. No idea, sorry.

6. I would guess that the mainspring has a life expectancy north of 20,000 rounds.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Many thanks for the replies and video. I still have not had any clarity on the recoil springs and a call to Sig themselves was no help. It probably will come down to testing both springs in the gun before I figure out which is the right one

Posts: 339 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post