SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    What do I need to convert P226 from .357 Sig to 9mm?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I need to convert P226 from .357 Sig to 9mm? Login/Join 
posted
Recently acquired a P226 in .357 Sig. I would like to know/confirm what all is needed to convert my pistol to shoot 9mm. Obviously, I would need a 9mm barrel,( but which one?). Reading on the interweb, some people have advised a Barsto 9mm conversion barrel is needed. I have also read, just a regular 9mm barrel ( Sig or other replacement) can be used.

I know, i would have to get 9mm mags and a recommended 9mm recoil spring? does that sound about right?

Anyone that has done this, I would appreciate their input and suggestions. Thank you .

Posts: 95 | Location: Richardson, Texas | Registered: September 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A standard 9mm factory barrel might work, but it will be a looser fit in the slide and therefore might not work. A conversion barrel is intended for the purpose. Usually 9mm magazines are likewise recommended; 9mm ammunition may not work properly in a 357/40 magazine. The standard 357/40 recoil spring may cause cycling problems, but maybe not, especially if hotter 9mm ammunition is used. Nothing else should be necessary although the 357/40 ejector is somewhat different than the 9mm version.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not look for a Sig 226 9MM conversion kit they sell for their .22-226's?

It includes a whole new slide/top end/barrel & Mag?

I have the kits for my P-226 .22 Classic in 9MM &.357 Sig and it extends the usefullness of the 226 greatly, imho.

In .22, it's a great trainer, but still suffers from typical .22 reliability issues.

With the caliber x-change kits, it becomes a very reliable and potent centerfire defense gun.
As it is designed to be.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my name on the wait list at Sig and Osage county guns for the conversion kit. I hate waiting.

Posts: 95 | Location: Richardson, Texas | Registered: September 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
also take a look at EFK Fire Dragon.

<https://efkfiredragon.com/sig-sauer-p226-357-sig1.html>

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks DC3S,,,,, i looked at those... I just hate having to wait for those to be made,,,just like the Bar Sto barrels. Just Saw on the Sig site that they have a conversion kit in stock for $407.

Just trying to think of cost effective way to accomplishment what I want.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Motorjock721:
Thanks DC3S,,,,, i looked at those... I just hate having to wait for those to be made,,,just like the Bar Sto barrels. Just Saw on the Sig site that they have a conversion kit in stock for $407.

Just trying to think of cost effective way to accomplishment what I want.

For $407, I'd spend a little more and buy another 226 used, that's already in 9mm. The additional gun will always be worth about what you paid for it. A conversion barrel and parts accompanied by the .357 gun in a sale won't bring nearly as much return on investment if you go to sell the package.

I've heard of a lot of people buying used standard 9mm barrels and using them, just not sure what accuracy they're achieving. I would think the tolerances should be fairly close as it is a production gun. I've also heard the Barsto's and EFK's do need minor fitting most of the time.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Jimmy,,,

After looking at all my options,, thats exactly what i think i will do.

Gun Broker, here I come,,lol!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Motorjock721:
Thanks for the info Jimmy,,,

After looking at all my options,, thats exactly what i think i will do.

Gun Broker, here I come,,lol!

Don't forget to check the classifieds here as well. Lots of Sigs for sale.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P226 Legion SA/DA 40 S&W caliber, I bought an complete upper came off from an P226 Legion SA only 9mm here, I went to the range in Friday test fire. It works like a normal P226 9mm when I swap the SA upper 9mm on to my Legion 40 S&W caliber. Now I got two calibers in one gun Smile

Posts: 224 | Registered: September 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P229 legion 357 SIG that I bought a 40 barrel for and everything works perfect including mags. SIG had a great sale a couple of weeks ago and 9 mm conversion kit for 229 and 226 with Romeo 1 reflex sight installed on slide. Came with 9mm barrel, spring, slide and Romeo1 for 475. Shoots sweet and 25 yds. Now I have a three in 1

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't shoot it regularly like this, but I dropped a stock Sig 9mmm barrel in my Legion G226 .357 Sig pistol. I didn't change anything else, but ran a box of 9mm through it to see if it would feed, fire, extract, etc, and whether the spring tension would cause issues. It shot to point of aim, feed without issue. I thought perhaps the smaller case might be an issue with just the barrel change and the same extractor. No problem. If I were going to actually use it, I would use a conversion barrel and the correct magazine; I wouldn't just go with a factory barrel...but like other Sigs, it worked fine.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post