SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    What do I need to convert P226 from .357 Sig to 9mm?

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I need to convert P226 from .357 Sig to 9mm? Login/Join 
posted
Recently acquired a P226 in .357 Sig. I would like to know/confirm what all is needed to convert my pistol to shoot 9mm. Obviously, I would need a 9mm barrel,( but which one?). Reading on the interweb, some people have advised a Barsto 9mm conversion barrel is needed. I have also read, just a regular 9mm barrel ( Sig or other replacement) can be used.

I know, i would have to get 9mm mags and a recommended 9mm recoil spring? does that sound about right?

Anyone that has done this, I would appreciate their input and suggestions. Thank you .

Posts: 88 | Location: Richardson, Texas | Registered: September 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A standard 9mm factory barrel might work, but it will be a looser fit in the slide and therefore might not work. A conversion barrel is intended for the purpose. Usually 9mm magazines are likewise recommended; 9mm ammunition may not work properly in a 357/40 magazine. The standard 357/40 recoil spring may cause cycling problems, but maybe not, especially if hotter 9mm ammunition is used. Nothing else should be necessary although the 357/40 ejector is somewhat different than the 9mm version.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 38592 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not look for a Sig 226 9MM conversion kit they sell for their .22-226's?

It includes a whole new slide/top end/barrel & Mag?

I have the kits for my P-226 .22 Classic in 9MM &.357 Sig and it extends the usefullness of the 226 greatly, imho.

In .22, it's a great trainer, but still suffers from typical .22 reliability issues.

With the caliber x-change kits, it becomes a very reliable and potent centerfire defense gun.
As it is designed to be.

Posts: 854 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my name on the wait list at Sig and Osage county guns for the conversion kit. I hate waiting.

Posts: 88 | Location: Richardson, Texas | Registered: September 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
also take a look at EFK Fire Dragon.

<https://efkfiredragon.com/sig-sauer-p226-357-sig1.html>

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 108 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks DC3S,,,,, i looked at those... I just hate having to wait for those to be made,,,just like the Bar Sto barrels. Just Saw on the Sig site that they have a conversion kit in stock for $407.

Just trying to think of cost effective way to accomplishment what I want.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Motorjock721:
Thanks DC3S,,,,, i looked at those... I just hate having to wait for those to be made,,,just like the Bar Sto barrels. Just Saw on the Sig site that they have a conversion kit in stock for $407.

Just trying to think of cost effective way to accomplishment what I want.

For $407, I'd spend a little more and buy another 226 used, that's already in 9mm. The additional gun will always be worth about what you paid for it. A conversion barrel and parts accompanied by the .357 gun in a sale won't bring nearly as much return on investment if you go to sell the package.

I've heard of a lot of people buying used standard 9mm barrels and using them, just not sure what accuracy they're achieving. I would think the tolerances should be fairly close as it is a production gun. I've also heard the Barsto's and EFK's do need minor fitting most of the time.

Posts: 16437 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Jimmy,,,

After looking at all my options,, thats exactly what i think i will do.

Gun Broker, here I come,,lol!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Motorjock721:
Thanks for the info Jimmy,,,

After looking at all my options,, thats exactly what i think i will do.

Gun Broker, here I come,,lol!

Don't forget to check the classifieds here as well. Lots of Sigs for sale.

Posts: 16437 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P226 Legion SA/DA 40 S&W caliber, I bought an complete upper came off from an P226 Legion SA only 9mm here, I went to the range in Friday test fire. It works like a normal P226 9mm when I swap the SA upper 9mm on to my Legion 40 S&W caliber. Now I got two calibers in one gun Smile

Posts: 72 | Registered: September 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P229 legion 357 SIG that I bought a 40 barrel for and everything works perfect including mags. SIG had a great sale a couple of weeks ago and 9 mm conversion kit for 229 and 226 with Romeo 1 reflex sight installed on slide. Came with 9mm barrel, spring, slide and Romeo1 for 475. Shoots sweet and 25 yds. Now I have a three in 1

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post