SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    229 firing pin becomes a cluster bomb
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

229 firing pin becomes a cluster bomb Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Good info in this thread, thanks for sharing. My P229 w/legacy slide has one of those pins in it. It used to be my old duty gun, and a few years before it got retired and I bought it, my department armorer serviced them all. The pin in mine was apparently a cast iron bitch...he got all the others out, but he couldn't get mine. Buggered it up pretty good in the attempt, though. It's still in there...I've thought about replacing it, but the gun shoots fine and it seems like messing with it at this point would be just asking for trouble. I may jump out on eBay though and pick up a replacement just in case it ever becomes necessary.

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Good info in this thread, thanks for sharing. My P229 w/legacy slide has one of those pins in it. It used to be my old duty gun, and a few years before it got retired and I bought it, my department armorer serviced them all. The pin in mine was apparently a cast iron bitch...he got all the others out, but he couldn't get mine. Buggered it up pretty good in the attempt, though. It's still in there...I've thought about replacing it, but the gun shoots fine and it seems like messing with it at this point would be just asking for trouble. I may jump out on eBay though and pick up a replacement just in case it ever becomes necessary.

There are horror stories of people having to use a press. I have only had to remove one of these and required the correct punch an armorers block and one of the dead weight gunsmith hammers. Was worried the whole time would mess up the frame so put tape around the pin, well more or less. I have one in another 229 and it will stay there hopefully forever. My luck having negotiated one is such that the 2nd one will be like yours. There is a suggested round count for replacing the firing pin spring and wolff springs used to include one with their recoil springs.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post