SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Which Would be the best?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Would be the best? Login/Join 
Picture of schrack
posted
Would you go .357 Barrel on 229 or 226?

Posts: 2488 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
Just thought some one would have a some good advice!

Posts: 2488 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're all pondering what exactly you're asking.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:

That’s it, and why I didn’t bother with guessing at an answer earlier.

But if you’re wondering which would produce the higher velocity, that would be the longer P226 barrel.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:

I've owned both SIG P226 and P229 with .357 SIG barrels but without any info or criteria provided by the O.P. there is no way to provide any meaningful answer to such an ambiguous question, so I held off replying as well.

schrack, garbage in garbage out...if you would like informed answers to questions you need to provide more information when asking the questions.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
I would like to install a .357 barrel in one of my >40 either the 229 or 226, now the 229 is 3.9 in length and the 226 is 4.4, my question which would be the better choice for the hotter .357?

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
If achieving the highest velocity possible is your goal then, as sigfreund pointed out in his post, the longer barrel of the P226 will generally produce higher velocities, although I would suspect that, given the barrel lengths between the two are so close, that any velocity gains in the P226 would be marginal.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I checked velocities of some 357 SIG loads long ago from a P226 and P229. The most valid comparison was of 125 grain Gold Dot, averages of 25 rounds each:

P226 - 1389 fps
P229 - 1341 fps

Although I didn’t record which version of the GD it was, I believe it was the higher velocity (not “limited penetration”).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schrack:
Would you go .357 Barrel on 229 or 226?

Icouldn't choose, I have both..

Posts: 35 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
Thank You I might go with both also. Regards, Ron