SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Question regarding 1911 adjustable rear sights (for elevation)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question regarding 1911 adjustable rear sights (for elevation) Login/Join 
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted
The wife has had a Springfield Armory V10 Ultra Compact .45 since before I met her. It’s a nasty, semi-reliable obnoxious cannon. I’ve actually grown fond of it for the range, however.

Recently I got new sights for it, and as I expected would happen, it now shoots low. Almost 6” at 7yds… so significantly low. The new front site is tritium without much material to file down. I want to keep it too, as it is staked (limited other options with the SA narrow design and ported slide). So I want to raise the rear site to compensate. The rear dovetail is standard.

I was thinking of having the slide milled for an adjustable rear sight.

My question is: Do you think I will have enough travel with an adjustable to get my POA/POI back together?

I know, I know it'd be a waste of money...

Thanks for your input!

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Recently I got new sights for it, and as I expected would happen, it now shoots low. Almost 6” at 7yds…

Can you just reinstall the original sights?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Negative. Wouldn’t want to even if it was possible.

phxtoad

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
So I set up the basic parameters in CAD:

21 ft., 4 7/8" sight radius, -6" POI, and I come up with 0.11607", or about 7/64" to raise it up. That is a lot.

Anyone have an adjustable sight that knows their travel limits?

TL

phxtoad

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phxtoad:
So I set up the basic parameters in CAD:

21 ft., 4 7/8" sight radius, -6" POI, and I come up with 0.11607", or about 7/64" to raise it up. That is a lot.

Anyone have an adjustable sight that knows their travel limits?

TL

Novak cut rear? I had a gun that was considerably low with a .18 front sight... i dont remember the specifics, but was damn near off paper at 10 yards. It was off enough that the sight calculator said it was impossible to fix by just going with a shorter front sight.

The dawson novak cut adjustable rear had enough vertical adjustment to fix it without going to a shorter front. It did leave a fairly hefty gap between the bottom of the sight and top of the slide though... i.e. it wasn't very aesthetically appealing.

Another thing you could do would be to shoot slower ammo and see if that helps.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you share what sights you installed? Particularly the new front sight height?
Did you install a new rear or is it the one that came with it?
I am assuming your V10 is an older one with the standard GI type dovetail?

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I had Frank Glenn install a set of Trijicon Bright & Tough Night Sights (Stake-On Wide Tenon Front & Standard GI Rear Cut).

He had to file the front tenon down to fit the narrow SA slot. The front sight shoulder is on the top of the slide. I measure the front at a hair over the listed 0.185" high. The rear is sitting 0.219" above the slide.

I'm now debating if I should simply put a reflex sight (with a standard Burris GI mount) and avoid messing with the slide at all. The cost wouldn't be too much more and it would probably be more fun that way.

Or I'll just start stacking strips of electrical tape on the rear sight to build it up Wink

Todd

phxtoad

posted Hide Post
You covering the bullseye (combat hold) with the dots? What hold are you using from this link 1,2,or 3? I bet your replacements are designed for sight image 3.

http://pistol-training.com/wp-...9/04/sightimages.jpg

Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Agreed. 3. I am holding this sight picture at the top quadrant as POA with POI ending up at the bottom quadrant. The gun has always shot low. The prior front sight was filed down quite a bit. It's funny that the top of the slide is actually angled up given all these parameters. It's a sad little pistol.

phxtoad

posted Hide Post
Looking close at your picture that front is sitting pretty high after the staking job. Are they the Meprolight set? They are for a Colt. The Colt has a small flat where the tenon hole is. The Springer doesn't. Probably would have been better to have dressed a small flat on the slide with a file to fit the front in.

posted Hide Post
Might call the manufacturer and sob story real sweet and get a break on a replacement front and try and dress down a flat on the front of the slide to compensate before staking it in.
Trijicon makes a narrow tenon front you might be able to get separate from a set.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...-3-dot-tritium-green

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dusty3030,

Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Thank you Dusty. I may just leave as is for now. A reflex sight is tempting, however.

TL

phxtoad

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phxtoad:
Thank you Dusty. I may just leave as is for now. A reflex sight is tempting, however.

TL

On a gun with that short of a barrel, it is possible that you run into the same issue with a dot, I.e. not enough vertical adjustment to get it zero’d. I had that issue with a commander length gun. Ultimately had to have a -2 degree shim milled to go between the dot and the slide for enough elevation. Ymmv

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
tha1000 - Thanks. That would make sense.

I guess I'll leave it alone... Frown

phxtoad

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Just wanted you to be aware of the likely issue prior to spending the money. The height of a dovetail mount *might* make up for it, I don't know. Mine was milled into the slide and it was a foot low at 10 yards with the elevation maxed.

posted Hide Post
While i would probably just have new mounting slots milled, i understand your preference.

You might consider a suppressor sight, a number of companies make them such as Silencer Company.

Posts: 5900 | Location: southern california | Registered: April 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Good idea M! But wow, there's very limited options available I'm finding. Seems like I'd have to get a Novak cut still, then a tall sight and start filing it down to get the right height. I may see about just having a custom sight milled instead.

Todd

phxtoad

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Toad, if you go the route of getting a Novak cut, I have a spare Dawson adjustable 1911 sight.

I had Frank Glenn install an adj rear on my GSR 1911. I bought 2 different brands and gave him the choice of what he wanted to use. He used the other one....

Don't know if it's something that will help, shoot me an email if it is something you can use.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
KMitch,

Much obliged! I actually emailed Frank for further discussion and also went back and shot it at 20 yds. At 20, it drops 15" or so. I'd need 0.10 or so of upward travel to get it lined-up.

At this point I don't think it's worth trying to fix it though. I'll just compensate.

Thanks for the offer, though!

Todd

phxtoad

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
No problem, keep it in mind if you go that route.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post